Trying to upgrade internal HDD but only showing 120gb...

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys, happy new year!

A few months ago I was given an original Crystal Xbox. As someone who has always been on the Sony side of consoles, I admit, I don't know much about Xbox. However I was told that the Xbox was running EvoX (Can be confirmed, when I turn the Xbox on, there is an EvoX icon on the left hand side of the boot screen) and that the Xbox had a modchip inside.

The Xbox has been sitting under my bed for a while and I thought today I would dust it out and upgrade the internal HDD. The IDE hard drive inside the Xbox was only 80GB and I had a spare 250GB IDE hard drive I wasn't using. --

So I went ahead and followed this tutorial:

Basically I downloaded Hexen 2018 > burned the image to a DVD > put the DVD inside my Xbox > replaced the old IDE HDD with the 250GB one > booted into Hexen 2018 > went into Disk Upgrades > From there I followed the process.

After the files had copied over from the DVD, XBPartitioner 1.3 booted up and I made sure that I set the F drive to the full 250GB.

From there the process was complete. I took the Hexen 2018 DVD out of my Xbox and the UnleashX dashboard popped up. BUT when I look at the drive details on the upper left corner. I can see that there is only around 120gb free on (F:).

Whenever I try to boot XBPartitioner from the dashboard menu, I get the following error:

"LBA48 info not found! Custom Partitions will not work with this BIOS! Update your BIOS to one which supports at least LBA48 version 2."

I done a bit of research and it LOOKS like I need to update my BIOS. But honestly as someone who has no clue what they're doing, this frightens the hell out of me. So that leads me to this post... I'm looking for some help which can preferably be explained in as simple detail as possible, I literally need someone to spoon feed me the steps. I would be so grateful and appreciate it!

EXTRA INFORMATION - If I load into the EvolutionX dashboard I can see the follow details, which might be relevant.

• BIOS: EvoX M8 (1.6)

• Kernal: 1.00.5838.01

• EvolutionX V+3935

Reactions: HollowGrams

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, happy new year!

A few months ago I was given an original Crystal Xbox. As someone who has always been on the Sony side of consoles, I admit, I don't know much about Xbox. However I was told that the Xbox was running EvoX (Can be confirmed, when I turn the Xbox on, there is an EvoX icon on the left hand side of the boot screen) and that the Xbox had a modchip inside.

The Xbox has been sitting under my bed for a while and I thought today I would dust it out and upgrade the internal HDD. The IDE hard drive inside the Xbox was only 80GB and I had a spare 250GB IDE hard drive I wasn't using. --

So I went ahead and followed this tutorial:

Basically I downloaded Hexen 2018 > burned the image to a DVD > put the DVD inside my Xbox > replaced the old IDE HDD with the 250GB one > booted into Hexen 2018 > went into Disk Upgrades > From there I followed the process.

After the files had copied over from the DVD, XBPartitioner 1.3 booted up and I made sure that I set the F drive to the full 250GB.

From there the process was complete. I took the Hexen 2018 DVD out of my Xbox and the UnleashX dashboard popped up. BUT when I look at the drive details on the upper left corner. I can see that there is only around 120gb free on (F:).

Whenever I try to boot XBPartitioner from the dashboard menu, I get the following error:

"LBA48 info not found! Custom Partitions will not work with this BIOS! Update your BIOS to one which supports at least LBA48 version 2."

I done a bit of research and it LOOKS like I need to update my BIOS. But honestly as someone who has no clue what they're doing, this frightens the hell out of me. So that leads me to this post... I'm looking for some help which can preferably be explained in as simple detail as possible, I literally need someone to spoon feed me the steps. I would be so grateful and appreciate it!

EXTRA INFORMATION - If I load into the EvolutionX dashboard I can see the follow details, which might be relevant.

• BIOS: EvoX M8 (1.6)

• Kernal: 1.00.5838.01

• EvolutionX V+3935

I would flash chip with evoX F+G then use xbox partitioner 1.3 to format drive F+G 120GB each

After you format make sure cluster size is same for both F+G in XB partitioner - You sometimes have to format a few times for cluster size to show correct - I believe 120GB should be 16k cluster for both F+G. Once this clears out you can start filling with no corruptions.

Last edited by HollowGrams,

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would flash chip with evoX F+G then use xbox partitioner 1.3 to format drive F+G 120GB each

After you format make sure cluster size is same for both F+G in XB partitioner - You sometimes have to format a few times for cluster size to show correct - I believe 120GB should be 16k cluster for both F+G. Once this clears out you can start filling with no corruptions.

Is it possible to get the full 250GB in one partition?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like an Aladdin XT Plus 2 or similar, going by the chips.

Someone here said:
Update: I finally was able to download the hexen disc and successfully upgraded my bios to the lba48 v3 evox m8+ 16 bios. Btw use the 256k option with the Aladdin xt mod chip. Thank you for the help.

https://assemblergames.org/viewtopic.php?t=1991

Although again I have no experience with Xbox mod chips.

BTW, have you remembered to at least remove the clock capacitor if the motherboard is 1.0-1.5?

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like an Aladdin XT Plus 2 or similar, going by the chips.

Someone here said:

https://assemblergames.org/viewtopic.php?t=1991

Although again I have no experience with Xbox mod chips.

BTW, have you remembered to at least remove the clock capacitor if the motherboard is 1.0-1.5?

My fav setup for Aladdin is 256kb + EVOX F+G - Flash with Hexen.

Setup unleashx as it has fastest ftp.

Setup HDD with Xbox Partition 1.3.

Once I have my drive full I install XBMC4GAMERS and make xbox autoboot to this.

VKdnarP.jpg

xnnMof2.jpg

Last edited by HollowGrams,
Reactions: tech3475

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
My fav setup for Aladdin is 256kb + EVOX F+G - Flash with Hexen.

Setup unleashx as it has fastest ftp.

Setup HDD with Xbox Partition 1.3.

I do recommend XBMC if your files aren't within the allowed length as it auto truncates them, last I checked.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe but might corrupt at 50% make 2 and its still 250GB and wont have any issues if cluster sizes show accurately in XBP 1.3.

Interesting. Maybe 2 partitions is the way to go.

I'm sorry I really have no clue what a clock capacitor is. I have 0 experience with any of this kind of stuff. All I know is that around 2005, the Xbox was taken to a store where they fit mod chips and it was "professionally" installed there.

That looks really awesome man! Nice setup :) Although I don't really want to use it for emulation. I have a dedicated Raspberry Pi 4 with Retropie setup on it. I use that for dedicated retro gaming.

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Maybe 2 partitions is the way to go.

I'm sorry I really have no clue what a clock capacitor is. I have 0 experience with any of this kind of stuff. All I know is that around 2005, the Xbox was taken to a store where they fit mod chips and it was "professionally" installed there.

That looks really awesome man! Nice setup :) Although I don't really want to use it for emulation. I have a dedicated Raspberry Pi 4 with Retropie setup on it. I use that for dedicated retro gaming.

Plays xbox games as well with nice GUI.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I actually just fixed the problem thanks to a member of another forum.

I found out that my chip is actually called a Muppet-X and its supposed to be VERY similar to an Aladdin.

I used another toolkit which is much more updated called OGXBox Installer 2021. I flashed my BIOS and I'm now able to format the drive properly!

Thanks for your contributions guys :)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: ThaKarra

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
If it's a crystal xbox it's most likely version 1.6 or 1.6b motherboard which doesn't need the clock capacitor removed no point removing from that version motherboard as it doesn't have issue that 1-5 versions had.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead