Hacking Trying to understand how this all works.

rklamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Sorry for making a new topic on this, but I thought there used to be a noob-question topic... can't seem to find it now)

Just some basic questions. I have a Wii softmodded to 3.2u with HBC. I want to "catch up" to everyone.

1. I want to install either BootMii or Priiloader. I don't care about additional functionality outside of being able to recover in the event of a brick. Which is better? And can 3.2u support these, or will I need to upgrade?

2. What about the Trucha bug? I'd like to grab this just in case, but does it already exist on 3.2u?

3. I've got a mIOS installed to play GC backups as well as a cIOS. No idea what the version is on either of them. Are there any quick programs that'll give me the info on these things, so I can know what to do from there?

4. I'm getting tired of having to use NeoGamma every time I want to load up my disc (legit) copy of Tiger Woods 2010, since I don't have the latest updates. Perhaps the biggest n00b question of all -- how can I get it to stop asking for an update from the main Disc Channel? Is that IOS stuff? Can I just go straight from my current IOS to the latest IOS, or do I need to grab lower IOSes and built my way up?

5. Finally, I want to get ready to install USB Loader GX. Does that have a firmware requirement, or does it just need a way to boot it up (a.k.a. HBC)? And will running games from an HDD negate the need for IOS updates? (another noob question, totally stupid)

Thanks for any and all help, and apologies for being an ignorant noob!:(

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) BootMii couldn't care less about what system menu version you have. It'll work for you. Chances are, your console is old enough to have BootMii at boot2 so get that.

2) You already have that in almost all of your system IOS's since you haven't updated beyond 3.3

3) Run the cIOS rev17 installer. That way you'll know for sure which version you have. =P

4) Run the game through the latest Gecko OS. It will grab the necessary IOS for you and then the game won't ask for an update ever again.

5) Installing cIOS rev17 will be enough for you to run a USB loader. You can also install IOS222/223v4 to enable some other functions, like FAT32 support. You can find info on that in the thread for cfg loader.

rklamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. Thanks so much for all of the help! I feel terrible bugging everyone with these kinds of topics (I'm sure you see a bunch of them here), but I'm glad you helped nonetheless.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rklamer said:
(Sorry for making a new topic on this, but I thought there used to be a noob-question topic... can't seem to find it now)

Just some basic questions. I have a Wii softmodded to 3.2u with HBC. I want to "catch up" to everyone.

1. I want to install either BootMii or Priiloader. I don't care about additional functionality outside of being able to recover in the event of a brick. Which is better? And can 3.2u support these, or will I need to upgrade?

Bootmii is better for brick protection IF you can install it to boot2. Wii's bought after about mid 2008 cannot install to boot2 due to the bug being fixed in those newer Wii's. Being a 3.2 Wii still, I'd imagine you could probably still install to boto2 on your Wii. Just run the latest hackmii installler, install the latest HBC and then see if it says you can install to both boot2 and as an IOS and if so, install to boot2 (and IOS if you really want to load it from the HBC as well for any reason) Installing Priiloader as well does not interfere with anything and it is useful to have both so you can enable Priiloaders system menu hacks to disable disc updates and such and avoid any accidental updates like that. Also you can use Priiloader to have anything autoboot at the start of your Wii (provided bootmii is set to autoboot the system menu).

2. What about the Trucha bug? I'd like to grab this just in case, but does it already exist on 3.2u?

The trucha bug is what is used to install any unsigned content on a Wii. On 3.2 every IOS still has the trucha bug. If you want to update your IOS's they will not have the trucha bug anymore in them except for your cIOS which also has it as well which is all you really need it in, and maybe IOS36 as well as the trucha bug restorer would do (or recent versions of dop-IOS MOD).

3. I've got a mIOS installed to play GC backups as well as a cIOS. No idea what the version is on either of them. Are there any quick programs that'll give me the info on these things, so I can know what to do from there?

Whatever it is you have is highly likely not the most recent one, so if you want to update your cIOS, just run the cIOS rev17 installer, have it use IOS249 (because your old cIOS is installed there and has the trucha bug), and then do a network installation instead of a wad installation (provided you have internet on your Wii).

4. I'm getting tired of having to use NeoGamma every time I want to load up my disc (legit) copy of Tiger Woods 2010, since I don't have the latest updates. Perhaps the biggest n00b question of all -- how can I get it to stop asking for an update from the main Disc Channel? Is that IOS stuff? Can I just go straight from my current IOS to the latest IOS, or do I need to grab lower IOSes and built my way up?

It would likely stop asking to begin with if you updated your Wii as in xzxero's guide which you should follow anyways if you want to update your Wii, but as I said before, you can also just install Priiloader and enable the skip disc update hack and not have to ever worry about it regardless. Just make sure if you want to update, update first and then install priiloader. It won't still be there if you change your system menu version.

5. Finally, I want to get ready to install USB Loader GX. Does that have a firmware requirement, or does it just need a way to boot it up (a.k.a. HBC)? And will running games from an HDD negate the need for IOS updates? (another noob question, totally stupid)

The requirement is having at LEAST cIOS rev9 installed. Just install rev17 as I said above and that should suffice. You can also have Priiloader set to autoboot USB Loader GX when you start your system which can pretty much negate any use for the system menu at all. You can load your legit/backup regular discs from USB Loader GX as well, launch homebrew apps from it's built in homebrew launcher, VC games/channels from it's menus as well, and all of your games on your USB drive will just show up on the main screen with all the cover arts in whatever sort of theme you want.

Thanks for any and all help, and apologies for being an ignorant noob!:(

Basically I suggest just following the guide in the sticky and getting a fully up to date system for now so you don't have to worry about anything later.

rklamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll have to do some thinking on whether or not I should just go for the latest version. Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...