Hacking Trying to setup an SMB share for FCEUGX Saves

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two modded Wii's in different rooms of the house. Each has SD cards with local access to the same roms with the same names. I would like to setup a shared folder on my computer with FCEUGX save states that way I can pickup a game where I left off, regardless of which room I decide to play in.

I've been scouring the internet for a tutorial, but none of them do a good job of explaining. Some of them seem super simplified, and when I follow them it never works. Is there a comprehensive tutorial anyone can link me to? Or anyone here who's had success with this who can guide me through it?

I'm using Vista, and I know my shared folder is setup up properly because it's visible to other devices that can view the shared folders within my LAN.

My PC's IP on my network is "192.168.1.124"
MY PC's Name is "BLUE"
The shared folder is "Wii_Saves" and it's not password protected.

If I click on the properties of the shared folder, it says the Network Path is "\\BLUE\Wii_Saves" - FCEUGX doesn't allow for backslashes, only forward slashes, so I can't even type in the network path properly.

If anyone has any idea's any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by portugeek,

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I figured it out, aaaaand I didn't. :P

I wasn't able to get it configured correctly with my PC. I believe it's a problem with the way the Wii and Vista talk to each other. I turned off my firewall, my AV software, and nothing worked. But whenever I try to connect to the shared folder with other devices, they see it, and they have no problem accessing the files. So I'm not sure what's going on.

The positive news is that while I was digging around in my routers settings, to see if it was the culprit, I found out that I could access files stored on a USB device plugged directly into my router. It's actually a pretty slick feature that I had no idea was even a thing, it even allows me to access files remotely when I'm not home.

Anyway, I finally did get it working with the router method. I can now access game saves from a centralized location, which is super convenient. The only problem I have now though, is that it won't "Auto Load" the RAM save the same way it used to from the SD card, even though I have that feature turned on. So now I have to load it at the beginning of each play session.

Which led to ANOTHER issue, where if I left the "Auto Save" feature ON, it would auto save the RAM file every time I would hit the Wii's Home Button to access FceuGX's main menu. And like I said earlier, this is something that I need to do at the beginning of every play session just to be able to load the RAM save. So, the act of trying to Load the save would annoyingly trigger an Auto Save that would overwrite my RAM file with a bare bones save before I even had a chance to load it.

UPDATE: While messing around with the SMB feature of Snes9xGX, and vbaGX, I noticed that both apps were auto loading my saves. So initially I thought maybe there was a missed line of code in FceuGX's programming (because how dare it be my fault, right? I never make mistakes! /sarcasm) Well after going back and experimenting with FceuGX I finally found my mistake. My .SAV files weren't properly named for auto loading.

For example, these were the filenames when I was having the problems..
- "Tecmo Super Bowl - NFL 2017 Rev2 [Hack] 1.sav"
- "Tecmo Super Bowl - NFL 2017 Rev2 [Hack] 2.sav"

This is what the filename NEEDS to look like for it to properly auto load...
- "Tecmo Super Bowl - NFL 2017 Rev2 [Hack] auto.sav"

The numbers "1" and "2" designate them as RAM saves that I had prompted myself via the save menu. Removing the number and changing it to "auto" fixed the issue and now it loads the game perfectly.

Last edited by portugeek,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.