Trying to see if I can convert a SMRPG save to use with my Super UFO Pro 8

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Knight of Time, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Knight of Time
    OP

Knight of Time Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Hi all,

One of the Christmas presents I received today was a used copy of Super Mario RPG for the SNES. Anyway, I was wondering how to get it working with the Super UFO Pro 8 I ordered online last October (mainly for the purpose of transferring an SRM save from one of the SNES emulators to the cartridge)? I tried converting the srm file I have with ucon64 a couple of times, but I keep getting this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kyle>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>cd Emulation\SNES stuff\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin

C:\Emulation\SNES stuff\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin>ucon64.exe --pad -ufos smrpg.s
    rm
    uCON64 2.0.0 Win32 (Visual C++) 1999-2005
    Uses code from various people. See 'developers.html' for more!
    This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public License

Create: ntuser.idx
    ERROR: Can't open "C:\Users\Kyle\ntuser.dat" for reading
    Please see the FAQ, question 47 & 36

WARNING: "ntuser.dat" is meant for a console unknown to uCON64

C:\Emulation\SNES stuff\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\smrpg.srm

Multi Game Doctor (2)/Multi Game Hunter/MGH

00007fb0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00007fc0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00007fd0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Super Nintendo Entertainment System/SNES/Super Famicom
    Demo or Beta ROM?
    Japan
    32768 Bytes (0.2500 Mb)

Padded: Maybe, 394 Bytes (0.0030 Mb)
    Interleaved/Swapped: No
    Backup unit/emulator header: No
    HiROM: No
    Internal size: 33554432 Mb
    ROM type: (0) ROM
    ROM speed: 200 ns (SlowROM)
    SRAM: No
    Version: 1.0
    Checksum: Bad, 0x9370 (calculated) != 0x0000 (internal)
    Inverse checksum: Bad, 0x6c8f (calculated) != 0x0000 (internal)
    Checksum (CRC32): 0xcfea2834

Wrote backup to: smrpg.bak
    Wrote output to: smrpg.srm
    Wrote output to: smrpg.sav

C:\Emulation\SNES stuff\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin>

So yeah, is it just me or is this game not compatible with the Super UFO Pro 8 due to the SA1 chip? I thought the device had been updated to work with SNES games that utilize special chips...anyway, I'm hoping to get an answer at some point please, just to see if there is anything I can do.

Thanks in advance.

2. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    i own the super ufo too, not compatible at all with those games. I was able to boot smw2 on it with the original cart on top but it would crash pretty quickly. maybe bad connection.
    I had to rip the game to it from the original cartridge, loading a rom i found online did not work

3. Knight of Time
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Ah, okay, that's just as I thought. I was beginning to think making some tweaks in Super UFO Pro 8 before attempting to copy over the saved data would work, but when I played, my save didn't change. But please tell me, did you use the ripped game on your computer, or on your Super UFO Pro 8? Better yet, what did you do to rip the game from the cartridge?

Nonetheless, thanks for the information.

4. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    Ok so i might be wrong here because i just got a mariokart cartdridge and i was able to play ballz3d and suzuka8hours roms wich require the dsp1. so it does seem to work with roms. the save on my mariokart cart did not transfer automatically.

my smw2 might just have dirty connectors so that statement needs more testing.
    to dump your rom you select the third icon in the top row and choose cart to sd.
    you can also dump the sram from that menu to a file.

5. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Well, if, say, SMK runs, which requires DSP1, maybe it's a specific issue with chips like Super FX and SA-1, which SMW2 and SMRPG use.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  6. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    Could be... i also have star wing so i could do some more tests. these are the games with the extra pins... pilotwings works and mariokart too and these have the standard amount of pins

7. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    ok so i reached a conclusion

Dsp1:
    if you own pilotwings and super mario kart you can play every dsp1 game (pilotwings is only needed for bases loaded2 wich doesn't work with mariokart)

Superfx:
    super fx-v1 (mario chip 1) games do not want to load with star wing, a star fox rom also doesn't load. However the dump of my own star wing cart does load and play fine.

superfx GSU-2 games do not want to load with yoshi's island. a rom of yoshi's island does not boot. The dump of my own cart runs but only until the island is shown and crashes to black screen

superfx GSU-1 not tested since i don't own doom or dirt trax fx

found footage online from someone testing CX4 chips with the megaman games. rockman x2 only loads megaman x2. the same for x3 so you can buy the cheaper rockman carts and play a translation.

as for the SA1 i'm curious.
    OP could you please try and load PGA tour 96' (wich also uses SA1) and see what the result is? (with mario rpg inserted in the super ufo) it could mean a cheap way to play mario RPG on original hardware :)
    thx!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh also regarding to the .SRM issue. put the SRM on your sdcard. dump your cart to DRAM and load sram from SD to DRAM. see if that works?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. Knight of Time
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    I haven't really tried anything more with the srm issue, but I've been feeling very tempted to buy a Retrode2 to see how well it works with save files of SNES and Sega Genesis cartridges...does anyone here own one? Even though I feel a little silly for changing the subject here, I have been determined to buy one as soon as I possibly can.

9. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    the method i posted should work actually

10. Knight of Time
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    Sorry I'm a bit late, but I wanted to let you guys know I got a Retrode2 earlier this year; unfortunately it isn't compatible with Super Mario RPG or other games that use a special chip (I didn't test it with Super Mario Kart yet) even though it works pretty good with some of my other games.

As for the Super UFO Pro 8, I apparently was able to dump Super Mario RPG to DRAM, but the game won't play if I choose the Play DRAM game option (I'm not sure if I have to turn off the SNES and remove the Super Mario RPG cartridge...do I need to remove the cartridge?). On a different note, how do I load SRAM from the SD card to DRAM? I'm a little lost there.

11. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    In the meantime i've bought a japanese copy of smrpg. found out its not compatible with super ufo pro 8 only DSP chip games seem to work. I'm just going to try and install an eeprom with english version on it.

12. bakageta

bakageta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2016
    United States
    Way late reply to this, but hey... When you say smrpg isn't compatible, what exactly do you mean? Does the cart itself play through the passthrough? I assume the US rom failed with the JP cart on top, but did a self-dumped JP rom fail with its own cart on top too?

I've been debating picking one of these up. I've got an SFC and the pass through would be nice for playing US games without reshelling them. The videos showing the megaman X2/X3 roms work with the respective Rockman cart would be a very nice bonus, so I'm sad to hear it doesn't seem to work the same with smrpg.

13. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    Well I have a SFC and a SNES, I use a copy of super air diver for the sfc dsp1 games, and i recently bought rockman x, x2, x3 and they all work fine with the english rom. It seems all the superfx games just arent compatible. That's why i'm going to just solder in another rom chip on my copy of SMRPG
    http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/cheaper-super-mario-rpg-cartridge/ since this is the only game i want to play that actually needs english text. Yoshi's island and star fox are playable with japanese text. I do have an snes classic on pre order, but i already have the rom chip ready so.

I do reccomend getting one as they are cheap, and work fairly well. only issues with some copy protected games like super ghosts and goblins (or was it ghouls and ghosts, who cares)

Last edited by kutteke, Jul 11, 2017
    bakageta likes this.