Trying To Restore Save File Onto Fake DS Game (Pokemon)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by thebib62, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thebib62
    OP

thebib62 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm trying to restore a save file downloaded from online with the NDS Adaptor Plus onto my Pokemon Soul Silver cartridge. I'm 90% sure the game is a fake, mainly because when I try to load the save file onto the cart, it will just hang at a black screen after selecting the transferred save file.

I was hoping that something like hex editing could be done to try and make the save compatible with counterfeit carts. The save files I found have been created, and used for legit carts only.

Anyone had this problem, or know what I could do? Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I have a theory as to what might be the problem.

The HG/SS and B/W carts are a bit special in that they have an IR receiver built into the cart. This caused problems with save backup tools, they were unable to read the saves without being modified to support these cartridges. A lot of tools have since been updated.

Now what might be happening is that the NDS Adapter Plus is seeing a Soul Silver cartridge, and switching to the alternate save read/write method, but since your cart is a pirate cart, it lacks the IR receiver and therefore doesn't work with this alternate method.

It might not be possible to make it work with the NDS Adapter Plus, but if you had a DS flashcart, NDS Backup Tool Wifi should work as it was never updated with support for these carts (AFAIK but even if it was you could just use an older version) and therefore tries to read/write them in the same way it would other carts. I realize you probably don't have one though.

However what you could do is try to find a really old version of the NDS Adapter Plus software, without support for the retail HG/SS and B/W carts (if a version like that even exists, I have no idea).

Anyway there is no guarantee any of this will help and the problem might be different, but it's a likely reason for why it would fail at writing the save.

3. thebib62
    OP

thebib62 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2009
    United States
    Thank you for your reply! Very informative.
    Yes, I do have a DS flashcart, and I'll look for that homebrew software you mentioned. Hoping that's the solution.
    The save file does write to the cart successfully, and I even see the correct save file info (i.e. player name, pokedex entries, badges won) but right after selecting it, the game will hang.

I'll try that homebrew, and post an update as to what happens!

4. sanoblue

sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    North Carolina
    yeah if i remember it was only first dumped by removing a pin and soldering it elsewhere back in the day but i wouldn't know where to look now to find that info.... but yeah its special ^_^ the software is a much better option ^_^ works like a charm :P ive used it in the past but have no clue if i still have the file..... but quick google search yielded http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves

5. thebib62
    OP

thebib62 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2009
    United States
    Well, I tried both hombrew applications listed and they both resulted in the same thing I experienced with my NDS Adaptor Plus.

So now I'm sure it's got to be a counterfeit game. I wonder if any hex editing will make the save work with the cart?