Hacking Trying to repair old bricked Wii

Xen0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Found my old Wii which my brother bricked somehow a few years ago. Unfortunaly I don´t know how he did it.
It has Bootmii as boot2 installed. When I wanted to enter Wii Menu, there came this "data corrupted" message. Trying to boot into HBC just brought a blackscreen. I then used ohneschwanzenegger to make a new nand, and now booting into Wii menu and into HBC both give me a blackscreen (no error message).

Can somebody help me fixing the Wii?

Edit: might mention I don´t remember what FW the Wii was on. I did the ohneschwanzenegger thing with 4.2E. And this picture might also give needed information:
photo_2018-12-23_23-22-53.jpg

Last edited by Xen0,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Do u have the homebrew channel installed? If not, launch bootmini from the bootmii menu to install it.

Once in the homebrew channel use modmii as per usual. You will want to make sure you're starting and ending system menu version number are not the same (I.e if on 4.2, don't stay on 4.2 - otherwise modmii won't have you reinstall the system menu).

Reactions: Xen0

Xen0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Like I said, when I try to boot into HBC from bootmii, I just get a black screen, so no.

I'm not sure but it could be the case, that the HBC was deleted.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I can only think of 2 things to try, perhaps someone else can think of more.

First, I would make a fresh nand backup mainly for keys and use ohneschwanzenegger again but carefully to make sure it's got everything (Especially IOS58).

Hopefully that solves your issue, but if it doesn't the only other thing I can think of without a working nand backup is to set up neek2o so that it boots your emulated Nand upon launch (instead of bootmii). For all intents and purposes as long as you can access bootmii as boot2 you can always launch an emulated system menu off a hard drive or SD card. So you could use the wii without really ever repairing it and probably never really notice a difference

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
to me this sounds like ios 58 is a stub or is patched !!!
Agreed but how to install it? No HBC, bootmini isn't loading... @OP, do you have priiloader by any chance?

Have you checked the video settings in the ini file?
Good idea but wouldn't he be unable to even see the bootmii menu if the video settings in the ini were off?

Last edited by XFlak,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Good idea but wouldn't he be unable to even see the bootmii menu if the video settings in the ini were off?

I don't mean disable but make sure they're correct or maybe change them as a test e.g. make sure it's not set to progressive.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If video mode is the issue then the problem would occur immediately, not upon launching mini hackmii installer, right?

I figured it was worth a shot depending on where it gets the data from.

I’ve had green flickering screens in the past due to things like compatibility, switching modes, etc. Depending on the display, connection, etc.

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
That file can't be booted from the bootmii menu. He could boot the bootmini file, but apparently he can't access that menu, for some reason.

well thats what i am saying though is replace the boot.elf from bootmini and use hackmii installer or syscheck or wii mod to see what is going on or install 58 or 61 or ??????

DestroyedEDGE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there the possibility of generating a new nand.bin and then hacking the Wii again?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Edit: oof didn't see that

Last edited by DestroyedEDGE,

Xen0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I did a fresh NAND, this time 4.3E, and now it worked! I could boot bootmini.elf, reinstall HBC and start Wii menu normally :)
One strange thing so: when inserting a disc, I immediately get a error and have to shut down the Wii. Is the disc drive just dead, or has this to do with hacking as well?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.