Trying to remember the name of an old Mac game

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by xanth, Jan 4, 2011.

Jan 4, 2011
  1. xanth
    OP

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey guys,
    This has been bugging me for a long time, but there was a Mac (I think) game I played in the mid-90's I'd like to play again, but I can't remember the name. It was something to the effect of Assault The Gate I think, (but that's not it) and I remember thinking it was really cool because it had extensive cutscenes with real people (similar in style to the later Journeyman project games).

Essentially, the plot was something to the effect of humanity discovers a gate on the far side of the galaxy, but has yet to explore it. Suddenly hostile aliens attack, and either because you're trying to escape or to get something back from them, you (the captain of a starship) end up flying through the gate and end up in an unknown galaxy.

The gameplay was essentially you'd land on planets to find parts you needed to move on to the next system by either doing tower defense, providing cover fire from an immobile tank as research teams on a planet completed a mission or by driving around in a spaceship on a planet's surface to an end point while shooting at alien tanks that would attack you. Mission briefings were given by human voice actors. Every time you'd complete the mission on all the planets in the system, you'd use the gate to move on to the next system. I also recall that the cutscenes would detail an ongoing plot as you found out more about the aliens who attacked you, but I never beat it.

Anyway, I know that's kind of vague, but did anyone ever play a game like this? I'd really like to find it...

2. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Sounds a bit like the 1998 "remake" of Battlezone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone_%2...8_video_game%29

Was it 2d or 3d? Real time or turn based?

Edit: I did a little bit more scrounging, and based off your description, Shockwave Assault, and more specifically its sequel, Shockwave 2: Beyond The Gate seem to fit the bill perfecty:

Was originally a 3DO games, but it appears they were ported to Mac OS.

3. xanth
    OP

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Shockwave 2: Beyond The Gate! That was it! I knew I just needed another pair of eyes! Thanks Crass!

It was a good game from what I remember, so I'm going to have to track down a copy and hope I'm not wearing nostalgia goggles. [​IMG]

4. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Cool, I am glad to have helped. [​IMG]