trying to reduce iso to fit on usb

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by kharn101, Jan 4, 2010.

Jan 4, 2010
  1. kharn101
    OP

Newcomer kharn101 Member

United States
    Hi guys,
    I am trying to get a wii iso onto a usb, i am trying to shrink it down to a very small file. I have a 4gb usb stick, and i have tried scrubbing the file and then trimming the file, any ideas on how i can shrink it? A link would be great thanks [​IMG]

2. Terrence57

Newcomer Terrence57 Member

Canada
    I'm sorry I don't know how to shrink your iso file. But have you considered using a USB hard drive instead of a normal usb memory stick? Because I think the stick would only be able to hold one game >.< I remember reading up something about removing garbage data from the disc on these forums but I can't remember where I found it... Sorry.

EDIT: Oh hey I found it (: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=179085&st=0

"Q: What is WBFS?
    A: Wii Backup File System; A format that is used to store games on for USB loaders. WBFS is not recognized by any computer, so you need a WBFS manager to add games from there. If you add games to WBFS, all useless data (like the update and Garbage data) is removed."

Hope this helped [​IMG]

3. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    Yep. You could replace the update WAD files with zero byte ones. This should give you ~80MB, but could go up to ~120MB; depending on the update what's on it.

4. kharn101
    OP

Newcomer kharn101 Member

United States
    ahh so the usb loader already trims the files down right?

5. Terrence57

Newcomer Terrence57 Member

Canada
    Hm. I'm not entirely sure. However, I strongly suggest you use a USB hard drive instead of a normal memory stick, since Nintendo adds garbage data which makes all games 4.7 GB in size. If you could remove that, and the update file, I still think you will only be able to fit in one game. So yeah I would use a hard drive.

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    WBFS should scrub automatically.

What is the game so I can check its scrub size?

7. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if it is a PAL game, get the NTSC version. the PAL wiisports is .62gB while the NTSC is .33gB.
    and depending on the game, you can use wiiscrubber to replace files with ones that you dont need. just create a 0byte file and rename it to match the files of the game and right click->replace. as long as it is not an important file, it will be fine. you can get rid of all the intro movies and cutscenes in the guitar hero games (if you know what you are doing), and still play the game fine.

8. *Miss Sti*

Newcomer *Miss Sti* Newbie

Puerto Rico
    There are games that you can download and are already compress and occupies less space on the HDD.

9. DVS

Newcomer DVS Advanced Member

United States
    Mostly all games should fit on that 4gb. Of course only a single iso though. I don't think I have seen a iso thru usb loader bigger than 4gb. A WBFS manager will copy only the essential files. Or maybe your manager is set to copy all data, which I don't think because the default setting is not set to this. That usb stick is probably not compatible hence it don't work. But a Seagate portable and you will be in heaven. DVS.

10. DVS

Newcomer DVS Advanced Member

United States
    Ok, I think that you are trying to copy the original backup iso to the memory stick. It won't work like that. Get a WBFS manager to load that iso to your memory stick.