Trying to recover my save files after quick format for my SD card went terribly wrong

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Algo922, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Algo922
    OP

Algo922 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    United States
    Hi, Been using Photorec and Testdisk to try to recover my Save files. Using someone else's mac so cant use Recuva. I did a quick format on my SD card so it might be possible to get everything back.

I've managed to obtain photos and sound files I made with my 3DS in the past but I got back other files with formats I'm not familiar with.

I recovered files such as .plist , .sqlite, .gz

2. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    plist is sorta like an xml for apple devices iirc (it stores data and allows programs to read the data in a specific format basically) sqlite does something similar iirc, and gz is a type of compressed file (like a zip). Try looking for stuff like 00000001, 00000002, etc. and files with .app .tmd .cmd and .sav (i think). You will need to recover as much of those as possible with their directory locations. Otherwise, I am pretty sure you will not be able to recover the save files (unless you had decrypted ones from a save manager like svdt or jksv). Either way, good luck on finding them!

3. Algo922
    OP

Algo922 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    United States
    hmm getting file names like f0032320.. urk

Last edited by Algo922, Jun 17, 2016
  4. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Keep those too, assuming the recovery program that you are using gives you the directories, every file is useful.

5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    sqlite? Databases?

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You might not have much luck with PhotoRec/TestDisk as I found them rather useless when I was trying to recover data from a HDD. I've had the most luck with GetDataBack, but that's Windows only, you could run either GetDataBack or Recuva from a Windows Live CD though (BartPE, Hiren's Boot CD, UBCD4Win to name a few)