Trying to play NTSC Megaman Legends on modded PAL PS1 w/ bootdisc results in weird s**t happening

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by ZeroInfinity, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ZeroInfinity
    OP

ZeroInfinity Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2016
    Australia
    I got myself a NTSC copy of Megaman Legends since the PAL copies are SO EXPENSIVE. It's a game I've wanted to play for years.
    Anyway, when attempting to play it... well the first time it wouldn't load past the Capcom logo. But when I got it working... I'll just show you:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    This is some of the weirdest s**t I've ever seen happen. It's like some creepypasta s**t.

So, basically, it seems like all the objects are missing. Everything is empty and it's impossible to progress. No dialogue shows up either.

I decided to load the game normally, without the bootdisc and... everything seems fine! Except for the rainbow colour issue that I STILL don't know how to fix.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

So... can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here? Or how to fix it? Could it have something to do with my bootdisc? Of course, if I knew how to fix the rainbow colour thing this would be a non-issue... *cough*
    My PS1 problems seem to be never ending... I'm thinking of just moving on and getting a modchipped PS2 and hoping that will solve all my problems...

2. OfficialFBomb

OfficialFBomb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Which boot disc are you using?

3. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    What video cable are you using? Yellow composite cables? Also what is your TV model? do you have the exact model number?

4. ZeroInfinity
    OP

ZeroInfinity Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2016
    Australia
    Import Player Light.

The white, yellow and red AV cables. My TV is a TEAC LE40A1FHD. I'm pretty sure the TV isn't the problem, though. The rainbow colour thing has happened on two other TVs.

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the rainbow effect is due to the cable.
    you need a real RGB scart cable (not an adapter, or fake RGB which is just a yellow adapter internally)

fake RGB scart cable usually don't have all the pins in the connector.
    if you buy a scart with all 21 pins, you have better chance that it's a good one. Not 100% sure either, all RGB lines could fit in the incomplete one, and it doesn't mean they are connected on a full 21 pin either, but it's usually a good indication of the cable quality if they have all the pins.

this one is fine, even if it has composite output in the middle, use it mainly for Audio out to speaker :)

On the console side:
    if your console side doesn't have more pins, it's not RGB.
    and even if it does, it's still only composite

so, you need full pins on both sides, console and scart :)

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 11, 2017
    zfreeman likes this.
  6. OfficialFBomb

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Why would he need a scart cable to connect to a tv. Is it because his ps1 is pal? I thought pal systems could connect to composite and display ntsc if the tv allowed?

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Older systems like PS1 derive the color frequency from the master oscillator. PAL and NTSC have slightly different color frequencies, so if you switch the video mode without switching the master oscillator, you end up with an out-of-spec color signal, which results in the rainbow effect.

RGB isn't affected because it doesn't use a color subcarrier.

8. OfficialFBomb

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Damn really lol that's cool and sucks.. Is it something you have de solder and replace or??

9. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania