Trying to install Mint on Acer Aspire ES1-531

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by RoseyDreamy, May 28, 2017.

1. RoseyDreamy
    OP

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    Weird.

I disabled Secure Boot (in the BIOS) and Fast Boot (in Windows 10), and then installed Linux Mint from an external HDD (connected through a SATA USB-HDD cable) onto my computer. The odd thing is, is that I get 'No bootable device' when I turn on the computer.

EFI/Legacy boot just throws the same error, also when booting off the USB it does the same thing.

Any solution?

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like GRUB wasn't properly installed, which can't be fixed unless you can boot off of the USB. Can you still get into Windows? If so use EasyBCD to use the Windows MBR instead.

3. RoseyDreamy
    OP

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    I wasn't dual-booting, I was intent to get rid of Windows altogether as I never use it. -.-

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It sounds like it may have accidentally reformatted both drives. If you weren't careful, you may have accidentally picked the external hard drive to install Mint to instead of the laptop drive. Which will seriously mess up Grub. Try using something like an old flash drive to install Linux Mint.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 2, 2017
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I suspect what Crystal said happened, you installed either the bootloader or the entire Mint install on the external HDD rather than the laptop HDD.

Find a 4GB USB flashdrive and use that to install Mint. If you don't have one, use a DVD or something, or if your laptop doesn't have a DVD drive try a 4GB SD card (some laptops can boot from one), and if you just have nothing around then buy a 4GB USB drive. They sell for peanuts these days.

6. RoseyDreamy
    OP

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    I have a few DVD lying around, I'm going to try that.

7. EthanAddict

EthanAddict Founder of Skiddon't-ism

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    It seems that GRUB wasn't installed, it may be that you installed it on the wrong device, also chances are that your EFI System Partition was corrupt... Also, are you sure the folder EFI exists on your ESP root?

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    To get an EFI program to work on new Acers with Insyde H20 firmware:

Disable secure boot, install OS
    Enable secure boot and set a firmware password, save, enter firmware again
    Find the secure boot settings (the ones that aren't on/off), you usually must have a password set to unlock them
    "Select a trusted file for executing", navigate to grub2 or whatever you're using, enter a description (anything), save and quit and enjoy
    [optional] disable secure boot/password
    :)

For some reason it doesn't support the standard BootOrder variables, and this is the only way to load an .efi program from a nondefault path...

Last edited by Ryccardo, Jun 2, 2017