Trying to get Windows XP on VirtualBox to recognize my Flash2Advance 256mb

james.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently found my old flash cart along with the parallel printer port linker. I went ahead and purchased a parallel to USB adapter and installed Windows XP Pro via VirtualBox on my early 2015 13-inch MacBook Air with OSX 10.12.6. When I plug my GBA and open the software, it doesn't seem to read my cart at all.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I recently found my old flash cart along with the parallel printer port linker. I went ahead and purchased a parallel to USB adapter and installed Windows XP Pro via VirtualBox on my early 2015 13-inch MacBook Air with OSX 10.12.6. When I plug my GBA and open the software, it doesn't seem to read my cart at all.
Did you forward the USB adapter to the VM and install the drivers for it if needed (check that it shows up correctly in Device Manager)?

Reactions: scrot9

ak1nok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I tried a lot of things, but to make flash2advance work I had to buy an old laptop with a lpt port. Unfortunately the new adapters work on other "addresses" and there is no way to convert them. Also check the cable, it should be DB25M - DB25M. That is 25 pins to each other. New lpt cables usually do not make 25 to 25. Moreover, according to the developers, the cable should be no longer than one meter. You should have EPP/ECP mode settings in your laptop's bios. In the settings of Windows itself (idk about Mac), the LPT should sit at address: 0378-037F. Given all the hassle (buying a laptop, soldering the right cable) it is easier to buy an ez FLASH Omega.

Btw parallel to USB adapter definitely not suitable.

Last edited by ak1nok,

james.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a lot of things, but to make flash2advance work I had to buy an old laptop with a lpt port. Unfortunately the new adapters work on other "addresses" and there is no way to convert them. Also check the cable, it should be DB25M - DB25M. That is 25 pins to each other. New lpt cables usually do not make 25 to 25. Moreover, according to the developers, the cable should be no longer than one meter. You should have EPP/ECP mode settings in your laptop's bios. In the settings of Windows itself (idk about Mac), the LPT should sit at address: 0378-037F. Given all the hassle (buying a laptop, soldering the right cable) it is easier to buy an ez FLASH Omega.

Btw parallel to USB adapter definitely not suitable.
I ended up biting the bullet and getting myself a DS Lite. Seemed to be the cheapest/most convenient option at only $40. I still have my M3 Simply so I'll be able to write GBA games to my F2A that way.

james.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you forward the USB adapter to the VM and install the drivers for it if needed (check that it shows up correctly in Device Manager)?
I forwarded the USB adapter but I can't seem to find a driver specifically for converting parallel to USB in XP. Oh well, it was a valiant effort. Ended up getting a DS Lite on eBay for $40.

ak1nok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I forwarded the USB adapter but I can't seem to find a driver specifically for converting parallel to USB in XP. Oh well, it was a valiant effort. Ended up getting a DS Lite on eBay for $40.
Congratulations on your purchase! Flash2Advance is not worth the effort! I spent about $150 to get it to work)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The driver might be built into XP, just make sure it doesn't show up as unknown device or has a yellow mark on it in device manager.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol