1. HiQ67890

OP HiQ67890 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi everyone!
    I had my friend try to set up a USB device that would play some wii games. I already had the Homebrew channel and USB loader GX installed so we just needed games on a hard drive to “plug and play”
    The problem is that we got the flashdrive last night and it’s not working. I think it’s due to the way that it was formatted.
    What my friend did was download the files, unzip them, and then they were automatically in WBFS format, but I keep seeing everywhere that every game is supposed to have its own folder. Is there an easy way to just create new folders so I don’t have to redo it all?

D413EA5B-D88C-47C3-B618-16044E7AC1A5.jpeg

2. Mantinis00

Mantinis00 Newbie
    Newcomer

Hi, use wiibackupmanager

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G970F Tapatalk 4 Lt

3. HiQ67890

OP HiQ67890 Member
    Newcomer

United States

How?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Am I going to have to redownload everything?

4. Mantinis00

Mantinis00 Newbie
    Newcomer

Upload games back to pc, then format flash to fat32 , then on backupmanager select all games and press upload to flash drive it will do the folder stuff for you, and your ready to go

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G970F Tapatalk 4 Lt

5. HiQ67890

OP HiQ67890 Member
    Newcomer

United States

Ok, that sounds great!! Thank you so much!

Where do I find wii backup manager?

6. HiQ67890

OP HiQ67890 Member
    Newcomer

United States

Do I need to worry about ISO’s

7. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Cyprus
    You probably also want to update your softmods and usbloader, use modmii (stickied at gbatemp, or visit modmii.github.io, link in my signature) to rehack your wii as if it were a virgin, repeating steps is fine, and it will download wii backup manager for u as part of its process (which manages isos, cisos and wbfs files)

jeannotte likes this.
  8. HiQ67890

OP HiQ67890 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I’ll be fine without the newest stuff, I’m just a casual guy and I don’t know the hack that well.
    For what I was doing, would I need to worry about iso formatting or file types? Or would I be fine just to upload my wbfs games to my computer and retransfer them using wii backup manager?

9. XFlak

Cyprus
    If u don't update your mods you will be very likely to run into compatibility issues. Some games may not work properly on older cios's. Or some formats. For example, I don't know how old your mods are, but older cios's may only support wbfs formatted drives (which I suspect you may have... when you say the flash drive wasn't working properly because of the way it was formatted, is it being detected by windows or are you being prompted to format it? How is the drive currently formatted?). Newer cios's support fat32 (preferred) and even ntfs (OK for reading but not great for writing) formats (in addition to wbfs)

In terms of managing backups only wii backup manager is enough (unless u find some nkit files)

Seriously though... updating your mods will take about an hour and modmii makes it super easy. I can almost guarantee you will run into issues later if you skip doing this and will probably end up doing this in the end

As a compromise, maybe post a syscheck so we can look under the "hood" of your wii. https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

BTW if you open your syscheck.csv using modmii it will also tell you if everything looks good or if it has recommendations for you. But you can always share it here if you prefer a human touch, lol, but the recommendations will be the same

Last edited by XFlak, Apr 13, 2021
    jeannotte and HiQ67890 like this.
  10. HiQ67890

OP HiQ67890 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    OK thanks so much for your feedback! How do I perform a syscheck? You’re talking about CIOS but I’m just talking about a file format, what’s the different between Ios and wbfs files and how the Wii reads them?

Never mind, I clicked on the link you sent me.

11. XFlak

Cyprus
    Literally all the questions you're asking are answered when you run modmii's main wizard. It builds you a custom guide that explains what ios's and cios's are, and many other things

I mean I can answer all these questions back and forth as we have been.... but I'd prefer it if you followed my advice, then came back with any remaining questions you may have after reading your custom modmii guide

If you use modmii, either use the main wizard (which includes a usb loader set up option), OR use modmii's syscheck updater wizard/guide PLUS modmii's usb-loader set up wizard. I suggest the main wizard and telling modmii your wii is a virgin for first time users.

Last edited by XFlak, Apr 13, 2021
    jeannotte likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Trying, loader, games