trying to get my wii to work like i want

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ph_traum, Jul 5, 2010.

Jul 5, 2010
  1. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    Well, it is like this:
    I got myself a hacked wii. It is supposed to play wii and gc backups. I've been given a burnt zelda:tp which works alright. To side note: I have no idea how it was burnt (device, media, software, anything), but it does work. I do not know what has been done to it prior to myself buying it, whether it is chipped or not, for example.

My problem is that I can't burn a playable gamecube disc. I've used ImgBurn and CloneCD (it worked best for my PS2) a TSST and an Optiarc devices, burnt to a dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw (+r,-r are indian made Verbatim) at 1x, 2x, 2.4x, 4x. The game I'm trying to burn is Tales of Symphonia CD1.

Here is what i know about my console:
    current firmware 4.0E
    Initially there were Homebrew channel 1.0.3 and a Neogamma r7
    Wiihack while trying to update a homebrew channel does NOT install. As far as I know that means there is a cIOScorp installed but I'm not sure
    Since I wanted the games to load from a HDD I've installed:
    IOS236
    IOS249
    Hermes 222/223
    Configurable USB loader
    I don't know whether it was necessary or not, though, but now I can play Muramasa from a USB-flashcard and I'm totally OK with that.
    I know you can't do the same trick with a GC game so you have to burn it (don't tell me about the SD-adapter, I don't have it)
    And here I'm completelly stuck: the best I could do is to get is to get Neogamma to recognise the game but after that it flashes with a green screen and I get a hard reset wich is unfortunate since I got myself a wii mostly to play GC games.
    Also I'd like to know, if there is a way to find out what exactly is installed/modified on the console, like whether there is a chip or not, what IOS are hacked etc.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. the TOS iso is most likely fine since I've managed to launch it through Dolphin... at a verrrry slow speed though.

MAJOR UPDATE:
    Installed cIOS37 & 38 r19
    Installed cMIOSWiiGator
    Installed latest Neogamma as a homebrew
    NOTHING CHANGED, still get a green screen flashing
    Well, tomorrow I'll go get a tested sample burnt GC game to see if it works for me and if it does, then I'm doing something wrong.
    Still, any suggestions about what else can be wrong are welcome and thaks for your answers, everybody!

UPDATE:
    Burnt a dvd-r copy of red steel 2 on TSSTcorp drive, doesn't launch through Disk Channel, but does run via Neogamma. There is a major intro slowdown on 4x-written medium and a slight to no slowdown on 1-x written one. Will try a dvd+r and a different drive, but unless Wii switches to a different laser for GC-mode the drives and media I'm using are fine. Also, I've only used 8cm discs for burning thus far since I don't have any small ones to try, nothing ever mentions this to be an issue, but still...
    With everything listed above installed, is there anything I can lack? I wonder...

UPDATE
    It was unable to read a tested sample of a GC game, so it's like that:
    It does understand dvd-r burnt wii games
    It does understand usb-hdd wbfs wii games
    It doesn't understand burnt dvd-r GC games
    It doesn't understand DVD-RW at all (says something like a reading error)

So, WTF can this be, anybody?

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
  3. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    Is it safe? Since i can't get hackmii to work, I don't have Bootmii so...

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Yeah, the steps should be safe

But what dod you mean by "I can't get hackmii to work" ?
    edit: I'm guessing it's "No Vulnerable IOS installed" ?

5. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    your guess is correct. I was gonna look into it after dealing with gc problems.
    For cIOS38 rev 19: is cIOSX rev 19 the right thing?
    On the side note: is there an alternative for bootmii that doesn't need "vulnerable ios"

6. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You can fix the error by installing a "Vulnerable IOS". More info.

7. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    Yeah, I've seen that bug fix, but as far as I know, DOP-whatever is a remover for cIOScorp, and a buggy one. I've read that it messes up with IOS in a wrong way and without cIOScorp burnt games cannot be launched through Disk Channel. Are these statements correct?

8. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Not really
    DOP-Mii can mess with your IOSs, but that doesn't mean it removes cIOSCORP. It is also far from buggy.
    Anyway, what I'd do is to run the DARKCORP uninstaller to get rid of cIOSCORP, then use the DARKCORP installer to get the newest DARKCORP (which is the updated version of cIOSCORP).

If you don't want that, do the steps I linked above and I assure you you'll still be able to play backups from disc channel.

9. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Depends which IOS you DOP. You could DOP something like the Korean IOS41 (the oldest version), or IOS61, neither of which are used for games. Just make sure not to add any patches.

10. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    Since I have no clue what you mean, I guess I misunderstand something. So, what does that DOP-thing do exactly? Is it that by DOP-ing a certain IOS I make it vulnerable for a e.g. Hackmii to use it?

whoops, I missed the post above.
    2Gordinio: About DARKCORP, I'll probably try that as soon as I can get a NAND backup or what's it called - don't want to mess up with system files too much without a reserved copy, for the guide-thing - I'll give it a try.

And, as far as I get all this, I have a chipped Wii with a cIOSCORP installed, right?

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Yeah, it's not the easiest thing to understand [​IMG]

Anyway, DOP-Mii allows you to install/patch the IOSs from your Wii. If you install a clean IOS (aka an IOS without any patches applied), this IOS will be seen as a "Vulnerable" IOS by the HackMii installer.

12. muck chucker

Member muck chucker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Doesn't sound like the wii is chipped just softmodded.

13. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    My wishlist:
    - To launch all GC games from a USB-HDD (as I know, currently impossible, so:)
    - To launch all GC games from burnt backups, best: throgh Disc Channel(something I can't get done in any way yet, but most likely all set to try to fix)
    - To launch all Wii games from a USB-HDD (seems to work, but I've tried only ONE game so far...)
    - To get the HBC to work and update correctly (which it doesn't do because of "no vulnerable IOS"-bug now)
    - To get Bootmii working or anything else that can make me a reserved copy of the OS so that I wouldn't be scared to mess up with IOS anymore
    something like that...

BTW: How do I know for sure if there is a mod-chip or not? Well, without actually opening the console I mean. Is there a software that can define it?

Addition:
    Well, I've used the fix-hbc guide to get hackmii to work. So, bootmii could only be installed as an IOS only and I'm currently making a NAND copy to a card. Since I can't install it to boot2, there is no way for it to work if e.g. the system menu gets screwed, right? Does the backup launch independently or does it need a working bootmii to run? In latter case, the entire thing is almost usesless...

So, if anything, are there any helpful "unbricking" guides, I'm asking just in case.

MIOS Patcher 0.2 application, is it worth a try?

14. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia