Trying to fix my friends "dead" Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zaweet, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Hi everyone! My friend gave me his fully bricked Wii with bootmii to try and fix but I haven't been able to get very far.

I used ohneschwanzenegger to make a new nand from the backup I made, downloaded 4.3U onto it, used "Bootmii-KEYFIX" and flashed the new nand onto the Wii. It's gotten the Wii nowhere though and bootmii didn't seem to flash it properly http://i.imgur.com/tyFoKjC.jpg

Did I miss something or am I just playing with a dead Wii? Any help at all would be appreciated.

2. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Use comex's nand formatter.

3. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Trying that out now. I'll post the results.

4. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    The formatter just freezes on it's first attempt to install anything (ios17). I'm trying it a second time but it seems like nothing again

EDIT: Yeah, nothing. I'm out of ideas

5. Aurora Wright

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Comex's formatter only installs System Menu 4.1 E/U and IOS60... other wads cause an error

6. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    Really?
    The package I downloaded has 17,31,36,60, RVL-Eulav_US-v2, RVL-Rgnsel_US-v2 and the system menu. I'll try keeping just IOS60 and the system menu.

EDIT: Still hangs, it never gets passed reading out the file size. I've tried installing both IOS 60 and the system menu first.

7. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    Is it even possible to run bootmii on fully bricked Wii?

8. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    It's more than a semi brick and less than a low level brick, therefore full brick. Still though, any ideas?

9. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    Are you having bootmii@boot2 on that?

Have you tried to backup it's current nand contents? Maybe analysing that might give you more information?
    Did your friend do anything specific that caused the brick? That information might help figuring out the issue.

10. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    My friend has given me some news that makes me want to do things i'd probably get banned for describing on here...

His answer for why the Wii bricked has gone from "It just kind of stopped working one day, no idea what happened" to
    "I played with some Priiloaded settings and it stopped working and tried to restore it with ohneschwanzenegger "

0_o
    So that leaves us with the original nand content long gone and boot2 bootmii skipping large chunks of blocks leaving them "unprocessed"
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

11. Aurora Wright

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Sounds like a NAND failure, since bootmii restore operates on a raw (not filesystem) level, and it has been EXTENSIVELY tested. It's as like as it can't write to some nand blocks.

12. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I'll take that as the Wii's dead.

Either way, thank you for helping me out. :)
    At least I can steal the disk slot led thing and replace my broken one...