Trying to finish uploading all the sprites for Jump Ultimate Super Stars

Jester_Helquin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title mentions, I noticed on Sprite Resources they are missing a few characters, I'd love to finish uploading the sprites, but have never worked on something like that. I have peeked around on some forums and saw mention that it might be easy(ier) to do using desmume. How would I go about doing that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Desmume (and many other emulators on all systems really) will have something like a OAM viewer, VRAM viewer, Map viewer and whatever in the tools menu (of Windows at least). You might have to select the appropriate palette.

If the graphics are loaded into RAM (either because it is on screen or soon could be) then you can snatch it right from it.
Harder to find hidden graphics, or rare graphics (if a sprite only appears in after a 40 hour sidequest...) but this is one of the reasons we have cheats -- infinite health, tricking conditions, if you can do a character select cheat then that...

So yeah you can get them without background just by playing and having access to the mighty print screen button. Way less of a barrier to entry than conventional ROM hacking might be where you have to figure out formats, possibly compression and more besides (though many will often snatch palettes from RAM to feed to other things if they are not obvious) but also a bit more limited.

Jester_Helquin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desmume (and many other emulators on all systems really) will have something like a OAM viewer, VRAM viewer, Map viewer and whatever in the tools menu (of Windows at least). You might have to select the appropriate palette.

If the graphics are loaded into RAM (either because it is on screen or soon could be) then you can snatch it right from it.
Harder to find hidden graphics, or rare graphics (if a sprite only appears in after a 40 hour sidequest...) but this is one of the reasons we have cheats -- infinite health, tricking conditions, if you can do a character select cheat then that...

So yeah you can get them without background just by playing and having access to the mighty print screen button. Way less of a barrier to entry than conventional ROM hacking might be where you have to figure out formats, possibly compression and more besides (though many will often snatch palettes from RAM to feed to other things if they are not obvious) but also a bit more limited.
Thank you! I was actually planning to message you because I see you always reply to these kinds of threads. This is something to go off, so I'll try it out this weekend! Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr