Hardware Trying to decide between New 3DS XL and New 2DS XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought one a few years back, I think it was Zelda limited edition (still have brand new charger) but someone offered good money for it before I open it so I sold it.

Been just chilling on my PC couple years before I got a Switch launch day.

The Switch made me think differently on portable consoles and Covid gave me time to game again.
Oh ok I'm a portable junkie I have many of same portables and when they reviled the switch that night and of the price I pre-ordered it right then

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Better build quality?

How bad is build quality of the New 2DS XL?

I tried the New 3DS XL before and the build quality is excellent.

I have 10 year old Wii remotes and Classic controllers that feel like less quality when compared the New 3DS XL I tried but are all still working perfectly.
The top part is horrible apparently, I have seen too many new 2DS XL's with cracked top screens even though they didn't take any hard drops or anything

Reactions: Alexander1970

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I own a Switch and the weight is perfectly fine for short sessions, however if my hands ever get cramps or numb (tired) I can always Switch to a monitor with Pro Controller.

You kinda do have this option for 3DS, if you're near a computer. Once you have CFW, you can use input redirection to control it using a controller attached to your computer. This page mentions several different versions: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/6qxbw8/input_redirection_extended_edition_v30/

You can also stream the 3DS screen to the computer (NTRViewer, Twix &c.), but the image shows compression artifacts.

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I might pickup a New 2DS XL today for $135 CAD or $100 USD (plus tax).

Brand new with warranty, price too good compared to even used 3DS XL.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The top part is horrible apparently, I have seen too many new 2DS XL's with cracked top screens even though they didn't take any hard drops or anything

Don't know where you heard those/that quote, I have had a Hyrulian/LoZ 2DS XL since release day, with no cracks anywhere on-screen /hinge & or top, inside or out. I don't doubt it was said though... Hyrulian has a multi-layered pattern, which contributes to the shield on the top, but they all have more than one layer I believe. The Hyrule edition was a Game stop exclusive IIRC.

I can't compare it to others since I've only held this model, but this top doesn't seem flimsy to me.

PS and I have dropped mine several times!

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't know where you heard those/that quote, I have had a Hyrulian/LoZ 2DS XL since release day, with no cracks anywhere on-screen /hinge & or top, inside or out. I don't doubt it was said though... Hyrulian has a multi-layered pattern, which contributes to the shield on the top, but they all have more than one layer I believe. The Hyrule edition was a Game stop exclusive IIRC.

I can't compare it to others since I've only held this model, but this top doesn't seem flimsy to me.

PS and I have dropped mine several times!
I know some friends that had a 2DS XL with a broken top screen and I saw a lot of them when searching for broken 3DSes online (definitely a lot more 2DS XL's with broken screens than other models), I remember some of their descriptions saying that they just became cracked after being in a bag or pocket or "broke out of nowhere"

Reactions: Alexander1970

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it'll be fine, I don't plan on using the 2DS XL outside of my home.

This is one of the reasons why I'll be a late adopter to the handheld.

I usually only buy home consoles with the exception of the Switch which is a hybrid console.

I'll be get a clear hard case (shell) and a grip for the New 2DS XL alongside a screen protector.

I'm going to agree with the majority the New 3DS XL has better build quality, 3D feature, IPS lottery and easier for maintenance/fix.

But for me personally I cannot justify the price, sellers are asking the same price of a Switch Lite for a brand new (New) 3DS XL.

My decision to go with the New 2DS XL is based on the recent price drop, otherwise with the knowledge I've gathered from this thread I would gotten a New 3DS XL.

Last edited by Nemix77,

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is a bit a late, I bought the New 2DS XL on Saturday and started charging it and playing Mario Kart 7 today.

I don't mind the small downgrades from the New 3DS XL however the 3DS/2DS XL family overall is a big step down from even the Wii U gamepad (not mentioning the Switch).

My impressions are (for the New 2DS XL):

+ The system is sleek, compact and lightweight.
+ The color and design looks pretty good.
+ The buttons feel nice and clicky.

- The screen is dim and a bit dull (but that's expected, I notice the dim screen a lot more).
- The sound is small (but I'm okay with that, I have it 2/3 and it's fine for my usage)
- Weight distribution is weird, the system is small and lightweight however I feel a bit strain while playing.

I don't think I'll gain much by upgrading to the refurbished New 3DS XL (assuming I don't get an IPS screen), maybe just better sound but trading for more weight.

The bigger problems that hinder my overall enjoyment of the system like max screen brightness and weight distribution cannot be fixed by a simple upgrade.

I already ordered an anti-glare screen protector, hard plastic protector/cover and a grip for the New 2DS XL.

I think the grip would make gaming much more enjoyable and it' protects the bottom of the handheld, the hard plastic protector/cover will help protect the top of the system (heard the top screen is prone to shatters).

I now remember why I avoid handhelds again, my hands are big and my shoulders wide.

I'll be keeping the handheld as a backup to play some exclusives I really want to play, otherwise this is not the way I like to game.

Last edited by Nemix77,

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just cancelled my 2DS XL accessories and decided to return the New 2DS XL (bought at Walmart).

However, because of the COVID situation they are temporarily not taking back open box returns, so for now I can play on it.

I think I've been spoiled by high resolution, accurate color and bright displays (my gaming monitor does HDR and covers 95% DCI-P3 or 120% SRGB), I just can't get myself to enjoy the screen on the New 2DS XL.

My biggest grip is how dim the screen is, next to my monitor that's set a 250 nits of brightness; the 2DS XL's screen is so dim I barely see the smaller details under normal lighting conditions.

I guess the hand cramps and dim display just got the better of me, I'll stick to consoles from now on.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread, for anyone new reading this thread, choose the New 3DS XL over the New 2DS XL if you can.

Last edited by Nemix77,

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I've had every model of the 3ds family and the N2dsXL is IMO the best design. It's sleek, compact, lightweight, etc.
BUT... it has too many problems: the hinge is waaaaaay too wobbly, the screen is so glossy you see your reflection more than the actual game when playing outdoor (anti-glare screen protector is a must have), build quality feels cheap and apparently the top screen is very fragile. You better treat it with extra care. The top screen gets marks from the circlepad, just like every other clamshell 3ds though, but since the screen is so glossy it gets more noticeable in this model.
At the end of the day my model of choice is an old 2DS but if I had to choose a bigger screen I'll pick the N3dsXL :D

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just cancelled my 2DS XL accessories and decided to return the New 2DS XL (bought at Walmart).

However, because of the COVID situation they are temporarily not taking back open box returns, so for now I can play on it.

the 2DS XL's screen is so dim I barely see the smaller details under normal lighting conditions.

1. Since when does Walmart accept opened returns of electronics instead of "exchange for exact same item only"?

2. The 2DS had IPS correct? What about your 3DS? I have spoken out against IPS screens several times for a few different reasons, one of them being they are so dark that there is severe black crush going on in gaming.

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Since when does Walmart accept opened returns of electronics instead of "exchange for exact same item only"?

2. The 2DS had IPS correct? What about your 3DS? I have spoken out against IPS screens several times for a few different reasons, one of them being they are so dark that there is severe black crush going on in gaming.

1. They do, I even called head office to confirm (exception is software where only an exchange can be made, consoles can be returned).

2. I just ordered a refurbished New 3DS XL from Nintendo to give the 3DS another shot.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the c-stick mod worth it?

I've seen videos on YouTube but have not asked GBATEMP members what's their experience with the PSP c-stick mod.

Also, is the Lenovo c-stick better or worth the price over the PSP c-stick?

Last edited by Nemix77,

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the c-stick mod worth it?

I've seen videos on YouTube but have not asked GBATEMP members what's their experience with the PSP c-stick mod.

Also, is the Lenovo c-stick better or worth the price over the PSP c-stick?

I have used a PSP stick, then PSP stick with rubber glued on, a PSP replacement with a top like the 3DS left Circle Pad (from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PSP-Console-8-Piece-White-Analogue-Stick-Armour-UK/190554486650, which also has a couple of standard PSP caps), and now the Lenovo stick. The Lenovo one feels the best, although the textured surface has noticeably worn down. I didn’t find the PSP stick grippy enough, and one of them rocked, which made some diagonals hard and some stick. The Circle Pad could have been good, but it needed the stem and some of the side filing in order to fit, and the white rubberised surface quickly got dirty and sticky, and without glue it could slip diagonally.

The Insten PSP caps are cheap enough that you might as well buy some to try (though fitting it without cutting the loop of the original c-stick requires opening the case). The advantage of the Lenovo one over the original or PSP is reduced height and increased width and grip, and that the hole on the underside was square, matching the stick underneath, whereas the PSP sticks have a rectangular slot.

Last edited by emcintosh,
Reactions: Nemix77

Statesman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the original topic, I'd be all over the N3DS/N3DS XL if it had the SD slot in the same spot as the 2DS/N2DS XL. Honestly, as is I'm happy with my O2DS, since I use it mostly as an RPG-machine and haven't bothered with more action-y games like Monster Hunter 4U. I have never been a fan of hinges in portables anyway.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Cyber Gadget Rubber Coating Grip 2 Black For Nintendo New 3DS LL XL
$121.99

Monster Hunter Double Cross Hunting Gear for New Nintendo 3DS XL
$172.87
At that cost point you might as well just emulate it on a PC with your preferred controller instead :lol:

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New 3DS XL has shipped from Vancouver warehouse, I'm ordering a grip from AliExpress for $5.

Anything that can help with hand cramps, although I feel the New 3DS XL be bigger than the New 2DS XL is already a marginal improvement.

Not too sure if I need a top hard cover for the New 3DS XL, I kind of want some protection but don't want to add unnecessary weight if not needed (New 3DS XL is better built than New 2DS XL).

Last edited by Nemix77,
Reactions: peteruk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...