1. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    Oh ok I'm a portable junkie I have many of same portables and when they reviled the switch that night and of the price I pre-ordered it right then

2. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    The top part is horrible apparently, I have seen too many new 2DS XL's with cracked top screens even though they didn't take any hard drops or anything

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. emcintosh

emcintosh On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat

United Kingdom
    You kinda do have this option for 3DS, if you're near a computer. Once you have CFW, you can use input redirection to control it using a controller attached to your computer. This page mentions several different versions: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/6qxbw8/input_redirection_extended_edition_v30/

You can also stream the 3DS screen to the computer (NTRViewer, Twix &c.), but the image shows compression artifacts.

4. Nemix77

OP Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I think I might pickup a New 2DS XL today for $135 CAD or $100 USD (plus tax).

Brand new with warranty, price too good compared to even used 3DS XL.

5. Redhorse

Redhorse GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Don't know where you heard those/that quote, I have had a Hyrulian/LoZ 2DS XL since release day, with no cracks anywhere on-screen /hinge & or top, inside or out. I don't doubt it was said though... Hyrulian has a multi-layered pattern, which contributes to the shield on the top, but they all have more than one layer I believe. The Hyrule edition was a Game stop exclusive IIRC.

I can't compare it to others since I've only held this model, but this top doesn't seem flimsy to me.

PS and I have dropped mine several times!

6. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    I know some friends that had a 2DS XL with a broken top screen and I saw a lot of them when searching for broken 3DSes online (definitely a lot more 2DS XL's with broken screens than other models), I remember some of their descriptions saying that they just became cracked after being in a bag or pocket or "broke out of nowhere"

alexander1970 likes this.
  7. Nemix77

Canada
    I think it'll be fine, I don't plan on using the 2DS XL outside of my home.

This is one of the reasons why I'll be a late adopter to the handheld.

I usually only buy home consoles with the exception of the Switch which is a hybrid console.

I'll be get a clear hard case (shell) and a grip for the New 2DS XL alongside a screen protector.

I'm going to agree with the majority the New 3DS XL has better build quality, 3D feature, IPS lottery and easier for maintenance/fix.

But for me personally I cannot justify the price, sellers are asking the same price of a Switch Lite for a brand new (New) 3DS XL.

My decision to go with the New 2DS XL is based on the recent price drop, otherwise with the knowledge I've gathered from this thread I would gotten a New 3DS XL.

Last edited by Nemix77, Jun 27, 2020
  8. TurdPooCharger

United States
    COVID-19 shipping restrictions lifted; Nintendo refurbished 2DS/3DS systems available again.

Nemix77 likes this.
  9. Nemix77

Canada
    Nintendo is a bit a late, I bought the New 2DS XL on Saturday and started charging it and playing Mario Kart 7 today.

I don't mind the small downgrades from the New 3DS XL however the 3DS/2DS XL family overall is a big step down from even the Wii U gamepad (not mentioning the Switch).

My impressions are (for the New 2DS XL):

+ The system is sleek, compact and lightweight.
    + The color and design looks pretty good.
    + The buttons feel nice and clicky.

- The screen is dim and a bit dull (but that's expected, I notice the dim screen a lot more).
    - The sound is small (but I'm okay with that, I have it 2/3 and it's fine for my usage)
    - Weight distribution is weird, the system is small and lightweight however I feel a bit strain while playing.

I don't think I'll gain much by upgrading to the refurbished New 3DS XL (assuming I don't get an IPS screen), maybe just better sound but trading for more weight.

The bigger problems that hinder my overall enjoyment of the system like max screen brightness and weight distribution cannot be fixed by a simple upgrade.

I already ordered an anti-glare screen protector, hard plastic protector/cover and a grip for the New 2DS XL.

I think the grip would make gaming much more enjoyable and it' protects the bottom of the handheld, the hard plastic protector/cover will help protect the top of the system (heard the top screen is prone to shatters).

I now remember why I avoid handhelds again, my hands are big and my shoulders wide.

I'll be keeping the handheld as a backup to play some exclusives I really want to play, otherwise this is not the way I like to game.

Last edited by Nemix77, Jul 1, 2020
  10. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    the grip do make wonders, atleast on new 3ds xl.

Nemix77 and emcintosh like this.
  11. Nemix77

Canada
    I just cancelled my 2DS XL accessories and decided to return the New 2DS XL (bought at Walmart).

However, because of the COVID situation they are temporarily not taking back open box returns, so for now I can play on it.

I think I've been spoiled by high resolution, accurate color and bright displays (my gaming monitor does HDR and covers 95% DCI-P3 or 120% SRGB), I just can't get myself to enjoy the screen on the New 2DS XL.

My biggest grip is how dim the screen is, next to my monitor that's set a 250 nits of brightness; the 2DS XL's screen is so dim I barely see the smaller details under normal lighting conditions.

I guess the hand cramps and dim display just got the better of me, I'll stick to consoles from now on.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread, for anyone new reading this thread, choose the New 3DS XL over the New 2DS XL if you can.

Last edited by Nemix77, Jul 2, 2020
  12. september796

september796 GBAtemp Regular

Cote d'Ivoire
    I've had every model of the 3ds family and the N2dsXL is IMO the best design. It's sleek, compact, lightweight, etc.
    BUT... it has too many problems: the hinge is waaaaaay too wobbly, the screen is so glossy you see your reflection more than the actual game when playing outdoor (anti-glare screen protector is a must have), build quality feels cheap and apparently the top screen is very fragile. You better treat it with extra care. The top screen gets marks from the circlepad, just like every other clamshell 3ds though, but since the screen is so glossy it gets more noticeable in this model.
    At the end of the day my model of choice is an old 2DS but if I had to choose a bigger screen I'll pick the N3dsXL :D

13. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    1. Since when does Walmart accept opened returns of electronics instead of "exchange for exact same item only"?

2. The 2DS had IPS correct? What about your 3DS? I have spoken out against IPS screens several times for a few different reasons, one of them being they are so dark that there is severe black crush going on in gaming.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - between, Trying, decide