Trying to convert records to cd

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jargus, Nov 17, 2012.

Nov 17, 2012
  1. jargus
    OP

Member jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Earlier this year my brother came across some records my grandmother made back the 40s. We plan to make them into a CD to give to her for her birthday. We've been able to capture the sound into WAV files, but there is a large amount of static (as expected since these are old records). I've tried using noise removal in Audacity but I get this weird distorted scratching effect. Any experts know how to fix this? I can put up a sample of both if needed.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Toss up a sample of the beginning of the song that includes a bit of nothing but the static as well (to use as a sample for the removal so other people can try it themselves).

3. jargus
    OP

Member jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Listening to the unaltered track the main bulk of the song is barely above the noise floor and worse most of the peaks I see are noise which means the noise you get (which I am going with being from dust on the disc) is not going to be easy to get rid of. I got somewhere by making a kind of noise track and inverting it but it was more hear the voice rather than something worth listening to. I am not sure what quality/style of needle you have either so it might be worth a trip to a music shop that can help you, also kudos for capturing low but you could stand to up it just a tiny bit.
    You say 40's as well- does that mean it was made in a small booth type thing or an otherwise "open to the public" recording studio for then it is probably near the equivalent of a dub plate. This means you are probably going to want to figure out how to clean it and I am not sure how to set about it for something of this vintage (both in terms of being old in general and my not know materials were used and how that troubles things).

Short version- time to try a rerecording but figure out how to clean the disc first.