Trying to buy a Wii off Craigslist

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by leavemealone347, Jun 17, 2010.

Jun 17, 2010
  1. leavemealone347
    OP

Member leavemealone347 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I am trying to buy a used Wii off Craigslist. Many people over there do not know about modding and BootMii

Is there an hardware component or serial number I can ask for so that I can be sure that what I buy will be compatible with BootMii? That is pretty much why I want a used Wii off Craigslist, so it will be.

2. AceOfAces

Member AceOfAces GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm pretty sure that all Wii's are compatible with BootMii as boot2. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Unfortunately, the answer is not really. The best you can do is ask the following:
    • What System Menu came on the Wii? (Anything prior to 3.3 should be good.)
    • If the drive was never changed/repaired, what chipset does it have? (D2C2, I think, and later probably can't do BootMii as boot2.)
    Nope. Any Wii that came with System Menu 3.3 (or later) out of the box cannot have BootMii as boot2.

4. leavemealone347
    OP

United States
    Is there a way I could tell them to check their disc drive's chipset?

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Nope, they have to open wide the entire Wii to check that.

6. leavemealone347
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the help.

I found someone on Craigslist who says he got the Wii two or three Christmases ago. Would 2 Christmases ago be long enough ago to get the boot2 functionality?

Also it doesn't matter what the System Menu is on now does it? I modded my friends Wii but its been a long time...

7. Blastoise

Member Blastoise GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Should be, thats when I got my Wii and mines boot2. Don't hold me to it though, it could be different for other regions but in Aus, its should be fine

8. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    no. i got my first wii october-november 2008. it could not have bootmii at boot2 it has been 2 christmasses since then.

9. torakuma

Newcomer torakuma Member

United States
    After trying for a couple of weeks on Craig's list, I switched over to E-Bay and found much better deals, both price wise and knowledge wise sellers. Was able to purchase 2 modded for less then the price of one from Craigs. Al E-Bay sellers have a e-mail address and they usually get back to you immediately on your questions. I would suggest you go this route.