Trying to backup memory card Vita 3.60 getting message "you must update system software"

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Meeg85, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Meeg85
    OP

Meeg85 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2017
    United States
    I am doing SD2Vita stuff and was trying to back up my memory card. I might've goofed and backed up my card with the "content manager assistant" first off the restore failed, which doesn't bother me that much, the issue is now i get the "You must update the system software" message everything I boot up the vita, and the "to use the memory card you must update the system software" message after the initial message. What can I do to get rid of this message and have my memory card work again? besides formatting?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You restored to what?

You should delete the id.dat in the root of the card (normally hidden outside of vitashell), which of course is a little difficult if you're thinking of a real vita card (in system settings > henkaku there is a dedicated tool, but it requires the card to be mounted first...)

Meeg85 likes this.
  3. Meeg85
    OP

Meeg85 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2017
    United States
    I was restoring a backup of my old 32 gb card onto a new 256 gb sd card. Although as I was maybe 10 percent throw the back up process I got an error, I shut off the system and when I rebooted the sd was no longer read, only the internal memory and I got that message, I assume I have to isntall vita shell now and somehow find that id.dat file through my pc right?

4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Just put the microsd card back in your PC (with the console fully off!), enable hidden and system files if you use windows, and you'll see it!

Meeg85 likes this.
  5. Meeg85
    OP

Meeg85 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2017
    United States
    problem is I need to use my old memory card to redue everything, I get the "to use the memory card you must update the system software" message. Im now trying to delete the id.dat file from my old memory card but obviously i cant even view it in any way. Cant install vita shell on a card that is blocked to view the card itself molecularShell. its liek a catch 22 :(

6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    You may need to buy a cheap temporary card.

Meeg85 likes this.
  7. Meeg85
    OP

Meeg85 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2017
    United States
    I just wiped it and manually backed it up using vitashell (dragged an older back from my pc) WARNING, DO NOT USE SONY CONTENT MANAGER. I was pretty nooby. Apparently you need to at least patch content manager from connecting to the internet otherwise it will disable your memory card.

8. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    You might try to backup or restore your memory card using qcma.

Panzer_Baboon likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted