trying to backup GBA SRAM to .sav file in YSMenu

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by pakistexican88x, Sep 27, 2009.

1. pakistexican88x
    OP

Member pakistexican88x GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there a way to do this? The only possible way I've found is highlighting the .gba file and clicking on SRAM->File in the touch menu, but it gives me a message saying "No filename data for NOR." I know there is a game loaded into my 3-in-1 Expansion slot with an active SRAM file (Mother 3 is loaded into it), because I loaded it with GBA ExpLoader. Any ideas?

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    As far as I know the GBA save format for YSMenu and GBAExpLoader are diffeent. Something about the way it stores the details on the cart itself. If it was created with GBAExpLoader you'll need to copy the save file off with it as well.

3. pakistexican88x
    OP

United States
    I see. Well I came across this http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1354
    Is it possible to convert the .sav file created with GBA Exploader to the format supported by YSMenu? The readme doesnt have a listing for YSMenu, but perhaps it's the same format as one of the others listed?

4. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure to be honest, I've never tried moving the saves from one format to another. Have you used GBAExpLoader to take the file off the 3-in-1 back onto the MicroSD card?

5. pakistexican88x
    OP

United States
    yes i have. i mean, i'm not JUST trying to back-up the .sav file. The goal is to be able to use my GBA .sav files from GBA ExpLoader to play on YSMenu. I thought that if YSMenu could back up the SRAM from the 3-in-1 to it's own .sav format, it would be able to load it again.

6. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    It's the difference in the way the two programs handle the 3-in-1 that's the problem. The saves themselves might be compatible, I'm not sure. Make a backup of the save you're going to use on your PC first. Then copy the Mother 3 rom and save into a folder on your microsd card and run it. It's worth a shot.