Trump's tariffs on Chinese goods to affect some AMD and Nvidia gaming graphics cards

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by SirBeethoven, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SirBeethoven
    OP

SirBeethoven Do good, be good. Let's fight injustice together.

Nov 26, 2015
    United Kingdom
    • Quotes:
    • President Donald Trump's 10 percent tariff on Chinese goods affects graphics cards assembled in the Asian country, according to two industry sources familiar with the matter.
    • Shrout Research's Ryan Shrout said Trump's newly instituted tariffs on Chinese goods may lead to higher prices for PC graphics cards.
    Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/tru...-to-hit-amd-nvidia-gaming-graphics-cards.html

So, what are your thoughts? Are you worried about rising Nintendo Switch and PC prices? Let me know your thoughts!

Xzi likes this.
  2. JiveTheTurkey

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    I think Bitcoin made more of a negative impact to PC graphics cards than what these tariffs are projected to be.

TerribleTy27 and Shadowfied like this.
  3. sansnumen

sansnumen GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    For sure it's a concern for us gamers. Margins on consoles are razor thin after wholesalers and retailers get their cut off sales. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can't protect their 300 dollar price points forever. Especially if the tariffs go up to 25 percent. Prices will have to go up at that point. This should not be a concern for the 2018 holiday season because most smart retailers will have warehouses full of hardware to sell by now.

If production moves out of China, obviously the tariffs would not apply.

4. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    To be expected, but GPUs are really the least of it. Most everything in your typical retail stores will be getting a price hike to some degree because of Trump's carelessness in throwing around tariffs.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I got my 1060 GTX in May for my birthday, I'm set for another 5 to 7 years. ^_^

brickmii82 and JiveTheTurkey like this.
  6. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I say good. Will probably have an effect on those bitcoin parasites, bringing prices down in the long term.

JiveTheTurkey likes this.
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    How? Are bitcoins miners even located in the US?
    What makes it hard for them to mine remotely in some other country?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Some are.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    To be honest, my initial reaction was "just PC graphic cards?". It's pretty strange that only graphic cards are affected, and not PC's with said graphic cards within them (so if the text is correct, the tariffs don't apply when you buy a PC with the same graphics card preinstalled). Not a word on gaming consoles, tablets or smartphones either. Are these also unaffected because the card is integrated there? :unsure:

The effect is also one to be expected: these companies are multinationals with assembly lines in many countries. I read nvidia's response somewhat as "okay, fine, have it your way: we'll just swap the assembly lines around a bit: instead of producing goods for America in China and the rest of the world in Taiwan and Mexico, we now produce stuff for America in Taiwan and Mexico and everything for the rest of the world in China."

Interesting. Care to elaborate? :)

10. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Still, according to Fig. 1, after a tax the amount of units in the market drops, but the price increases.

Considering that miners can easily relocate offshore without a care (as they don't really want to use the cards themselves, they only want the result of the data center computing being sent to their digital wallets), this impact them even less.

So that means that the units in the -US- markets will drop (moving easily abroad where US miners will be buying them and installing them), miners will party because their prices (abroad) will perhaps even go down, and the US consumer will pay more, subsidizing them, yey!

[​IMG]
    Fig. 1: Supply-demand equilibrium change after applying a tax, as drawn by a preschooler.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Sep 28, 2018
  11. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Oh, so, GPU prices will be up 310% instead of 300%? GPU prices are pretty much already fucked up, alongside ram prices.

12. JiveTheTurkey

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    I think it's more easier in other countries but I'm just going off of speculation that I've seen more active miners from overseas. Personally when I did my little research into mining to make money, I found that I would be paying extra for the light company that I'm with. They have this surcharge that charged me an extra $138 fee for using more than my expected amount of electricity which was around $350 rounded up. I got stuck on a nearly $500 because of summer usage. It might be different in other parts of the states.

13. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    That's what I mean, but if you're putting some nice amount of money into creating a mining farm, even if you are American (or from whichever place), you will take advantage that this farm doesn't really require much attention or your presence there.
    You will probably rent some place in the cheapest place possible wherever in the world, with ok and cheap internet, specially cheap power, and as little taxes as possible. I mean, why would you put that mining farm on American soil if that is not cheaper, even if you are American?

Subtle Demise and JiveTheTurkey like this.