• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump says stimulus negotiations over until after election

Chains

GBAtemp Drifter
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1602012214623.jpg

>holding stimulus checks hostage

>hoping people will vote for him now

He literally tweeted the opposite position about the stimulus 2 days ago. :toot:

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly he realized people need to stop hiding and get of their houses and return to work? Dunno, trying to figure out what motivates him isn't easy. This news does sorta suck though as I could really use some help paying some of my bills. By this rate at the end of the year I'll have maxed out my credit cards. Bummer.

Reactions: wartutor

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wont this just encourage those that are depending on some relief here to not vote for him? Like if he announced today that we all get another $1200, you'd think that alone would get a fair amount of undecideds to say, "I like that he keeps giving me money, I'm voting for him."

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wont this just encourage those that are depending on some relief here to not vote for him? Like if he announced today that we all get another $1200, you'd think that alone would get a fair amount of undecideds to say, "I like that he keeps giving me money, I'm voting for him."

Technically it was all 3 branches of Government that were responsible for the $1,200 checks, but for uninformed people possibly those letters from Trump taking credit for the payments maybe would sway some voters. I do think this move hurts his chances at becoming re-elected, but I'm not sure by how much.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically it was all 3 branches of Government that were responsible for the $1,200 checks, but for uninformed people possibly those letters from Trump taking credit for the payments maybe would sway some voters. I do think this move hurts his chances at becoming re-elected, but I'm not sure by how much.
Oh no, I understand that the stimulus bills don't all come from Trump. But you know, the average voter doesn't think that way, they just think, "Trump gave me money, I vote for Trump now."

Reactions: gregory-samba

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>holding stimulus checks hostage

Hold on. I'm reading that Pelosi's proposal includes a mandate for nationwide cashless bail, mass prison releases, nationwide limitless ballot harvesting, a nationwide ban on voter ID, stimulus checks for illegal aliens, protection from being deported for illegal aliens ... this is not bargaining in good faith. Just intentional poison pills.

It's supposed to be an economic stimulus package, not a DNC/BLM/ANTIFA wishlist come true.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on. I'm reading that Pelosi's proposal includes a mandate for nationwide cashless bail, mass prison releases, nationwide limitless ballot harvesting, a nationwide ban on voter ID, stimulus checks for illegal aliens, protection from being deported for illegal aliens ... this is not bargaining in good faith. Just intentional poison pills.

It's supposed to be an economic stimulus package, not a BLM/ANTIFA wishlist come true.

What do the mass prison releases entail though? Because if it's all small time drug-possession cases, then I'm all in favor for those people not being in prison. It's embarrassing that in like a quarter of this country, marijuana is completely legal, yet in the other 3 quarters of the country, people are in prison for enjoying what people in that other quarter get to do legally and happily.

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do the mass prison releases entail though? Because if it's all small time drug-possession cases, then I'm all in favor for those people not being in prison. It's embarrassing that in like a quarter of this country, marijuana is completely legal, yet in the other 3 quarters of the country, people are in prison for enjoying what people in that other quarter get to do legally and happily.

Except, mass prison releases has not one damned thing to do with the coronavirus.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then write a law for that, about that, and pass it. Pelosi is using this is a political blackmail opportunity.

So who's holding stimulus checks hostage???

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then write a law for that, about that, and pass it. Pelosi is using this is a political blackmail opportunity.

I get that, but is that all she's going after for prison releases? Cuz if that's it, then yeah, let's do that too, I'm all for that.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone else read there were dems getting pretty frustrated with Nancy and breaking rank the last few weeks? I don't get why the democrats would not agree on the smaller package at under 700 billion that was more focused on people/schools/small business. They started at 4 trillion if I recall correctly and the lowest they would go was 2.5 trillion and with things not related to direct covid relief for citizens. They knew what they had to pull out of the package to get it to the people. Nancy and Chuck just did not want it to happen it would seem.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that, but is that all she's going after for prison releases? Cuz if that's it, then yeah, let's do that too, I'm all for that.

Do you have any reason to believe the prison release part of their bill only deals with smalltime drug offenders?? Smalltime drug possession isn't even a felony in most cases. That's why they call it smalltime. This is about PRISON populations.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any reason to believe the prison release part of their bill only deals with smalltime drug offenders?? Smalltime drug possession isn't even a felony in most cases. That's why they call it smalltime. This is about PRISON populations.
No, I don't, that's why I keep asking you for clarification on what that part of the bill is for.

D

Deleted User

It's supposed to be an economic stimulus package, not a DNC/BLM/ANTIFA wishlist come true.

It just shows how little people actually know about what's going on. Trump alone cannot pass the bill. He needs senate approval. Both sides have turned the others proposals down this has been going on for months several times they went on vacation and we heard they weren't going to get their vacations unless the bill was approved but somehow they got their vacations and the bill still isn't approved. Trump can only sign it or not sign it once it's on his desk. It's been caught up in the senate. Blame the senators.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't, that's why I keep asking you for clarification on what that part of the bill is for.

Apparently it forces the release of anyone who is within 12 months of being eligible for release (eligible for parole) if they are classified as a 'non-violent' offender, pretrial detainees (no bail), and makes home detention more easily available to 'elderly' inmates, i.e. finish out your sentence on home confinement.

Has nothing to do with smalltime drug cases specifically, marijuana or otherwise. I'm glad it says "non-violent offenders" but that still allows for the release of a wide range of very evil motherfuckers anyway, who would just walk. Not to mention mandated no bail for pretrial detainees.

It's on pgs 83-84. This is a bill summary though, not the actual proposed legislation.

https://appropriations.house.gov/sites/democrats.appropriations.house.gov/files/Updated Heroes Act Summary.pdf

There's no way the Democrats seriously expected the Senate or the President to come to terms with this shit. They threw back a rotten cherry pie with shit stirred in and now complain the President won't eat cherry pie.

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: Taleweaver

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently it forces the release of anyone who is within 12 months of being eligible for release (eligible for parole) if they are classified as a 'non-violent' offender, pretrial detainees (no bail), and makes home detention more easily available to 'elderly' inmates, i.e. finish out your sentence on home confinement.

Has nothing to do with smalltime drug cases specifically, marijuana or otherwise. I'm glad it says "non-violent offenders" but that still allows for the release of a wide range of very evil motherfuckers anyway, who would just walk. Not to mention mandated no bail for pretrial detainees.

It's on pgs 83-84. This is a bill summary though, not the actual proposed legislation.

https://appropriations.house.gov/sites/democrats.appropriations.house.gov/files/Updated Heroes Act Summary.pdf

Not what I imagined. But honestly given how overpopulated our prison system really is, something like this may indeed be an alright idea. Not that it's smart to bundle it in here, but there does need to be some serious work done on our prison system, it's overpopulated and filled with too many people that really don't deserve to be in there (plenty that do though).

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that it's smart to bundle it in here

That's all I'm saying. This bill is not the time or place. This and the other things I mentioned above are just being used as a wrench in the works, and then they claim the President is holding your stimulus check hostage while you suffer. Fuckin' games.

D

Deleted User

It should have been passed in April. But there was little chance it would pass before the election now that it's gone on this long. Dems would be afraid that people would give Trump the credit for giving people money when they need it and it could help him win the election. 0% chance that would be allowed to happen by them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.