• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump admin looks to fix homeless issues in California

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update for all those members who are so eager to know what Trump's preliminary plans are and so hangry for the details:

Update 1:
Trump pushing for major crackdown on homeless camps in California, with aides discussing moving residents to government-backed facilities
Source: The Washington Post via MSN

The planning has intensified in recent weeks. Administration officials have discussed using the federal government to get homeless people off the streets of Los Angeles and other cities and into new government-backed facilities, according to two officials briefed on the planning.

Trump’s directive is part of his broader effort in recent months to shine a light on problems in California and a number of major U.S. cities, including Baltimore and Chicago. He has complained about what he says are years of failed Democratic leadership that have led to sustained poverty and crime.

Top officials representing the White House and the Department of Housing and Urban Development arrived in California this week for a round of meetings. A particular focus has been the skid row section of Los Angeles, officials said. The president is directly involved with the initiative, officials said, and has asked for updates.

Among the ideas under consideration are razing existing tent camps for the homeless, creating new temporary facilities and refurbishing existing government facilities, two other officials said. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning hasn’t been publicly revealed. The changes would attempt to give the federal government a larger role in supervising housing and health care for residents.

The talks are fluid and concrete plans had not been reached.

Planning also involves officials from the Department of Health and Human Services. An administration official cited the need to act based on concerns about disease and sewage problems affecting the homeless.

A White House spokesman said Trump signed an executive order in June that pertained to affordable housing regulations, and that the administration is continuing to seek new solutions for homelessness. Trump’s executive order created a new White House council on eliminating “regulatory barriers” that White House officials believe increase the cost of building new housing. Developers have said these restrictions drive up prices on housing and limit the supply.

“Like many Americans, the president has taken notice of the homelessness crisis, particularly in cities and states where the liberal policies are combining to dramatically increase poverty and public health risks,” said Judd Deere, a White House spokesman. “President Trump has directed his team to go further and develop a range of policy options for consideration to deal with this tragedy.”

Housing experts say homelessness in California has risen alongside housing and rental prices. That problem has been exacerbated by cuts to federal support for housing programs.

Trump previously hinted at potential unilateral federal action over homelessness, telling Fox News that he was “very seriously” considering acting on the issue.

“You take a look at what’s going on with San Francisco, it’s terrible. So we’re looking at it very seriously. We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up. It’s inappropriate,” Trump told Tucker Carlson in July. “Now, we have to take the people and do something. We have to do something.”

Update 2:

Trump officials tour unused FAA facility in California in search for place to relocate homeless people
Source: The Washington Post via MSN

A team of Trump administration officials toured a California facility once used by the Federal Aviation Administration this week as they searched for a potential site to relocate homeless people, according to three government officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the private tour.

Trump is expected to visit California on Tuesday and Wednesday. One administration official with knowledge of Trump’s visit to California said there were discussions about an announcement related to California’s growing homeless problem next week, but a second official said that any decision could be premature and that it was not on the current schedule for the trip.

Some administration officials expressed skepticism that the federal government wanted to get in the business of operating a large homeless shelter in Los Angeles. There were also questions about the feasibility of turning the FAA facility into a shelter and how it could legally be done.

Senior administration officials said that forcing people into new facilities was not under consideration, with one official telling The Washington Post: “We’re not rounding people up or anything yet. You guys in the media get too ahead of yourselves.”

Well, I hope that satisfies all those complaining that the original OP story didn't cover enough of Trump's great plan to fix this issue the Democrats have been sitting on for year. You're welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

After years of Democrat leadership failing to come up with (or maybe even look for) any working solutions for the homeless issues in the state of California, the current administration has decided that it's time for them to step in and offer assistance. Unfortunately, instead of just accepting new ideas that may help to fix the problem, the Democrats are accusing Trump of pushing an agenda and are only insisting that he stay out of their state. They are requesting that he just send them more money.
Instead of slapping another repeatedly used, non-working band-aid on the problem, why do they refuse to repair this wound in our communities with working solutions? Like Einstein stated, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

It's a shame that, in such a prosperous economy we have now, people are unwilling to help our fellow man (and woman) to rise out of their situations instead of just stepping over them and moving on with their day. I thank the president, and those involved, in finally deciding to work towards the goal of solving this matter and hope they succeed.

Homelessness is a horrible situation that I had gone through myself in my late teens that I never would have gotten out of myself without "tough love" making me work to overcome the issue myself. I had people just give me money or offer a place to stay for the night, but this was only enabling my problems. It wasn't until somebody who truly cared about me had offered me money for doing work for them, such as yard work or cleaning their garage, etc., and giving me goals to reach for, was I able to rise above and get my own place. Today, I own my own business, have a comfortable life in a nice house that I own, and work hard to make sure I never live on the streets again.

Now, I know that a lot of homelessness is due to mental illness and drug use, but these people still need better help than just giving them money and temporary shelter to help them off the streets.

You don't have to love Trump or even like him, but this is an issue we should all be able to stand behind him on.

Trump Administration Weighs Action to Combat Homelessness in California

The Trump administration said it may try to help get homeless people in California off the streets, a move that comes after the president has criticized the state’s cities for their handling of the growing problem.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said that President Trump “has taken notice of the homelessness crisis,” without specifically mentioning California. A team of federal officials visited Los Angeles Tuesday on a fact-finding mission, a spokesman for the administration said, a week before Mr. Trump visits the state on a fundraising trip.

“The spike in homelessness we are seeing in places like L.A. and San Francisco is alarming,” a spokesman for the Department of Housing and Urban Development. “While there are many state and local issues at play here, we’re looking at a range of options available to us at HUD—as well as other agencies—for possible federal action, if and where appropriate,” a spokeswoman said.

The administration didn’t make clear what types of action it is considering. Nor is it clear what type of measures the administration legally can take.

Alex Comisar, a spokesman for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, a Democrat, said the mayor’s office hosted the delegation of federal officials in an attempt to show them “our work to confront this humanitarian emergency.”

“We learned very recently of their plans to learn about our strategies,” Mr. Comisar said. “We welcomed them.”

The homeless population has risen this year in major California cities despite efforts by local and state governments to deploy billions of dollars in taxpayer-funded efforts. California hasn’t built enough apartments and homes to keep up with population growth, and many critics say regulations should be eased to spur construction. Paying for outreach programs and new affordable housing simply isn’t enough to match decades of underbuilding, they argue.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a state budget in June investing $1.75 billion in efforts to spur new housing and about $1 billion aimed at helping cities and counties combat homelessness.

Homelessness jumped 12% and 16% from a year ago in the county and city of Los Angeles, respectively, according to figures released this summer based on a count conducted in January. Other localities in California saw substantial increases compared with 2017, when they last conducted a count. In San Francisco, the number rose 17%, while Alameda County, which includes Oakland, saw a 43% increase.

Both Los Angeles and San Francisco have struggled with efforts to build housing for the homeless, with residents objecting to facilities being built in their neighborhoods. San Francisco Mayor London Breed blamed part of the problem on a decline in federal resources.

“We need federal support and resources to build more housing for people living on our streets,” she said. “But simply cracking down on homelessness without providing the housing that people need is not a real solution and will likely only make the situation worse.”

In a letter to the White House, Mr. Garcetti asked Mr. Trump to step up funding for affordable housing, mental-health programs and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Mr. Deere noted that the president signed an executive order aimed at affordable housing in June and said he has asked aides to “develop a range of policy options for consideration to deal with this tragedy.” Mr. Trump has suggested that California policies are to blame for the crisis, in keeping with his broader clash with Democratic leaders in the state on issues such as immigration and climate change.

In an interview Tuesday before Mr. Trump’s administration announced its plans, Mr. Newsom rejected criticism that California’s policies were the cause of homelessness.

“People are right to criticize the homeless crisis in the state, it’s unacceptable. They’re right to criticize the affordability issue, it is unacceptable,” he said. “I’m deeply searching for strategies and solutions…for our critics, please offer constructive criticism as opposed to ideological critique.”

Mr. Trump will make a swing through California Sept. 17-18, with donor events scheduled in the Bay Area, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, and San Diego. The White House hasn’t announced any nonpolitical events during the trip.

Source: Click here

Last edited by morvoran,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Like Einstein stated, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
As Einstein stated - 'I could not have imagined, how my quotes would be used out of context - and by whom'. ;)

Sorry. ;) Reaction to seeing this quote used as an excuse for everything.

As Obama said 'change is what we need'.

US, the land of change (Einstein said change) and same/same, and Einstein quotes against federal tax raises. And route 66.

edit: On topic - if they get it done, good.

If thats another chance for a blame game of 'the other side didn't let us the way we wanted to' I'm not interested. Reason for that almost always is 'its more complicated than you think' or 'democracy broken again'. One or the other. :)

In this case more likely 'democracy broken again' - because the most vulnerable usually don't have big lobbies. So by default - they are not political capital. To do something for them has to happen, as a common act of decency (bipartisan effort, without even the effort), or it will not happen.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: IncredulousP

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only gripe about this post is the generalization that democrats are failing or not looking to it. It's usually fairly region specific. I can give an example for instance for the South Bay, in which the general creation of the Office of Supportive Housing is doing its efforts to cull down homelessness. The South Bay went under scrutiny when it closed down The Jungle back in 2014 but immediately after closure of the jungle is when they stepped in to help. Many of the residents who were part of the Jungle now were placed in a homes. Along with the efforts of non profits like First Community Housing, it's an ongoing issue being tackled.

Heck even watching some of the measures that go in Santa Clara county, you know that it's heavily focused on housing. Even unrelated community pushes such as the community push to convice google to invest in housing as San Jose already has a deal with google to let them invest in creating a transit center/town in downtown San Jose. The city itself is pushing pretty hard on the idea of trying to get more affordable housing into the city as possible.

I don't speak for the entire Bay Area, but this is not a Democrat/Republican issue at all, and the failures of one city doesn't necessarily apply to the others. It's just that some cities are planning better than others. In the case of Oakland, it's putting many of its efforts into housing as well. West Oakland is getting gentrified causing people to move eastward and their focus has been on the city. It becomes extremely evident as the city of Oakland chose the city than to keep the sports teams in town. (Warriors moving to SF, Raiders moving to Las Vegas, A's financing their own stadium)

At least from what I know, other locations that are more moderately liberal like the Fresno region fairly recently put up several homeless shelters.

Last edited by GBADWB,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My only gripe about this post is the generalization that democrats are failing or not looking to it.
Additionally, there are no specifics to the Trump administration's "plan" here, meaning they essentially don't have a plan at all. It's therefore hard to see this as anything but political mudslinging meant to boost his donations from California Republicans and rile up his base in other states.

The administration didn’t make clear what types of action it is considering. Nor is it clear what type of measures the administration legally can take.

Mr. Trump will make a swing through California Sept. 17-18, with donor events scheduled in the Bay Area, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, and San Diego. The White House hasn’t announced any nonpolitical events during the trip.

Last edited by Xzi,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is government responsible for solving homelessness? They are likely the ones responsible for it happening in the first place. The cost of living in California is pretty extortionate from what I've heard. What little they haven't banned is taxed to hell and back. I think they'd be better off hitchhiking to the next state over to get back on their feet honestly.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why is government responsible for solving homelessness? They are likely the ones responsible for it happening in the first place.
They are indeed responsible due to neglecting the needs of our working class and veterans. That's all the more reason why they should be the ones to fund the solution.

The cost of living in California is pretty extortionate from what I've heard. What little they haven't banned is taxed to hell and back. I think they'd be better off hitchhiking to the next state over to get back on their feet honestly.
True, but most are not originally from California anyway. The mix of a favorable climate and a generous populace attract people to the state AFTER they've become homeless. The solution does need to be a national one.

Last edited by Xzi,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are indeed responsible due to neglecting the needs of our working class and veterans. That's all the more reason why they should be the ones to fund the solution.
I agree, however government solutions usually make things worse; especially when their "solution" involves just creating another tax.
True, but most are not originally from California anyway. The mix of a favorable climate and a generous populace attract people to the state AFTER they've become homeless. The solution does need to be a national one.
Seems strange to be homeless and then move to the single most expensive state in the nation. It would make more sense to move to a less in-demand state like Mississippi that hands out welfare like candy at a parade, and the weather is still nice. I'm glad you said it needs to be a national solution, because I was going to point out that federal interference in California's affairs would violate the tenth amendment.. But what is the solution? Giving millions of people $100k+ homes is not feasible or sustainable. Maybe pay security deposit and first month's rent at an apartment or other rental home, but that only helps for the first month, and if they can't get a job by then, yep back out on the street. Also it's not like you can force businesses to hire people they don't find desirable. There are a lot of people who aren't even qualified to be a janitor at McDonald's. The type of people who have 30 jobs over the course of a year, and quit them all the first time something goes wrong or they have a disagreement with their boss or coworkers.

Reactions: morvoran

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is government responsible for solving homelessness? They are likely the ones responsible for it happening in the first place. The cost of living in California is pretty extortionate from what I've heard. What little they haven't banned is taxed to hell and back. I think they'd be better off hitchhiking to the next state over to get back on their feet honestly.

It's part of the reasons why many of the larger cities have the bus program to send people back to where they are from mosstly at the cities budget. It has worked for some people, notable people who still have ties with their family whose capable of helping them get off their feet, but not for everyone. Specifically SF, the hardest hurdle is trying to keep the drugs off the street, as it puts the homeless in a state where they are almost unhelpable.

Policy directly involving homeless was always a lose-lose debate sometimes, as the options presented never had a very clear and good outcome, as good was already relative to whose affected. For those capable of low wage work, government funded/aided-fund housing works on giving them permanent roofs (has helped out some friends and family). But there are still homeless that more or less refuse to work. Having a chat with some occasionally on the street usually ends in an outcome where they'll beg. Other than being homeless, some were completely functional in ability(e.g no apparent drug problem, capable of walking), they just refuse to get a job.

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Einstein stated - 'I could not have imagined, how my quotes would be used out of context - and by whom'. ;)

Sorry. ;) Reaction to seeing this quote used as an excuse for everything.

Einstein was referring to doing the same thing over and over during an experiment. Solving the homeless crisis is an experiment as nobody has found the correct solution, and politicians keep trying the same techniques over and over again while expecting the problem to eventually go away which is insane. This puts the quote in context with this matter.

For example, I watched a town hall meeting in Texas where one of the reps admitted they spent millions of tax dollars by just moving the homeless camps from one place to another. Never trying anything else to fix the problem. Now that's what I'd call "insanity". The citizens were not happy to hear that.

My only gripe about this post is the generalization that democrats are failing or not looking to it.
Well, can you say this is not true? Jjust using New York City as an example, Rudy Giuliani fixed the homeless situation there by getting them off the streets. Granted, I can't say where he put them, but it appeared that he was successful. Now, with De Blasio in charge, the problem is coming back. Banning plastic straws and hotdogs while preventing the police from doing their job is not going to fix the issue

In California, homelessness has always been an issue, but no where as bad as it is now with people sleeping on sidewalks, blocking businesses, shooting up in the open during the day, and biting people.
What has Gavin Newsom done to solve this issue? Keep the police from arresting drug users and people pooping on sidewalks? Making Cali a sanctuary state allowing poor illegals to stay there and use resources that could go to citizens? He just wants to throw money at the issue and hire a small group of people to pick up syringes and power wash the poo off the sidewalks while he sits in his nice mansion with tall gates around it to keep the homeless out. Why would he care when he doesn't have to look at, or deal with, the issue everyday?

Additionally, there are no specifics to the Trump administration's "plan" here, meaning they essentially don't have a plan at all. It's therefore hard to see this as anything but political mudslinging meant to boost his donations from California Republicans and rile up his base in other states.
They are thinking about building facilities similar to the detention centers holding the illegal aliens that were caught crossing the border waiting to be processed, so they do have ideas. They haven't even had the chance to investigate the situation, yet, so give them time.
Regardless of what Ben Carson and his delegates come up with, it has to be better than tossing money at the issue while hiding in a mansion and making policies that only make the problem worse. I agree that this may appear to be convenient timing for this situation, but unless you can prove that this is just pandering by Trump, you can't say it is a bad proposition.

Why is government responsible for solving homelessness? They are likely the ones responsible for it happening in the first place.
I agree that the government is, mostly, the cause of these problems by letting them get out of control. The problem is that it is also the government preventing these issues from being fixed with a lot of red tape. Police are not allowed to tell anybody to not sleep on the sidewalk and offer to take them to a shelter, or arrest them for using drugs or defecating/urinating on the street/sidewalk. It's hard to get permits to build shelters to house the homeless. Hordes of illegals are being brought in making the impoverished population greater. The governor seems like he doesn't even want the problem to be fixed.
Unfortunately, the government makes these laws and only they can change these laws, so they have to be the ones to begin fixing the issues.

If the government is the ones who need to fund the solution, in other words, you are saying the citizens must pay for the solution as the money will come out of taxes, not the politician's pockets. I'm not saying I have the best solution, but I feel this problem should be fixed with charity to provide housing/shelters

Last edited by morvoran,

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In California, homelessness has always been an issue, but no where as bad as it is now with people sleeping on sidewalks, blocking businesses, shooting up in the open during the day, and biting people.
What has Gavin Newsom done to solve this issue?

I'm not the biggest fan of Newsom, but I believe in the last budget outline that was placed in July, he has increased the amount of funds used to help homeless which took effect in July. IIRC details saying that large cities were supposed to get a budget and counties in general also get a budget. Some cities like Fresno are already pushing out homeless shelters since then. The other thing that I reacall reading about the bill was that there was a mandatory housing goal requirement with these funds, and citites who fail to meet the housing requirements would get fined. Because most of this stuff was effective July, there hasn't been enough time yet to judge the effectiveness of the plan.

edit: Bill in question

Last edited by GBADWB,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Einstein was referring to doing the same thing over and over during an experiment. Solving the homeless crisis is an experiment as nobody has found the correct solution, and politicians keep trying the same techniques over and over again while expecting the problem to eventually go away which is insane. This puts the quote in context with this matter.
Good on you for looking up the reference. :)

Essentially this boils down to you filling in an argument about "urgently needed change", with that Einstein quote.

So in the logic this become - "we need change, because look - Einstein said so".

Thats cheap. :)

(Take a beloved, dead, cultural figure, that people associate with being intelligent, and well meaning, attach it to your argument - pronto - dinner is ready.. ;) )

I'm taking (small) offense to that. ;) (Because that particular quote is really overused.) ;) Mostly jokingly. To point out, how attribution works here (through emotion, not argumentative 'closeness').

In essence - you are making a change vs stability argument - which is at the heart of american politics (two party system), for as long as I'm alive. You don't need Einstein for that.. ;)

On the argument itself I'm still pro getting homeless people the help they need to maybe escape that reality in a way that doesnt lead them down the path of drug abuse - regardless of which party 'is responsible' for doing so.

But it usually gains you few 'cheerers' - even if you are doing it - because people still don't feel 'personally related' enough. So its usually seen as 'maintenance politics'. If you manage to change that - all props to you - but it maybe turn out not to be something that constituencies remember. Thats why its better done the bypartisan way. I could be wrong, though.

Also this would be an argument against the defensive position of whoever pushes against that politically. If you've managed to 'charge' that issue politically (= 'which party does it matters to both parties - for the PR effect'), you almost are doing it wrong. (Hindering it taking place.)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: IncredulousP

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe in the last budget outline that was placed in July, he has increased the amount of funds used to help homeless which took effect in July
I know you included the part about shelters, but this part alone makes it sound like they're just throwing more money at the problem hoping it will stick this time. I guess we'll see, but regardless, I'm sure the Trump admin's help can't hurt the situation.

the quote isnt by einstein anyway...
Um, I was referring to Albert Einstein, the theoretical physicist. Not sure what Einstein you are thinking of.

Good on you for looking up the reference.
I always knew the reference. It was you that didn't know mine. Sometimes, it takes looking past your nose to see the intentions of others.

Essentially this boils down to you filling in an argument about "urgently needed change", with that Einstein quote.

So in the logic this become - "we need change, because look - Einstein said so".
Wow, I have used a lot of different substances in my time to expand my mind, but I must be missing out on whatever you're on. Please share your secret.
I think actual actions should be used to fix problems, not just spewing quotes at them. I don't see a poor person and say, "A penny saved is a penny earned." hoping that will make them rich.

Thats cheap.
Well, that's just who I am. I always look for the best bargain.

Last edited by morvoran,

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the same one, genius
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
A favorite of politicians (and pretty much everybody else), this quote has been wrongly attributed to Benjamin Franklin as well as—but there’s no evidence either of them said it.
Source: here
Sounds like we both might be correct. Lack of evidence is not lack of circumstance. He may have said it in passing to somebody which is why it's attributed to him. This article only claims that it can't be proven or dis-proven that he said it. The rest of the internet seems to believe that he did.

Last edited by morvoran,

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now, I know that a lot of homelessness is due to mental illness and drug use, but these people still need better help than just giving them money and temporary shelter to help them off the streets.

If "better help" does not include shelter and cover for basic survival expenses, then it's as good as nothing. Telling someone who sleeps on cardboard under a dirty rag to work hard and get a job is an absolute joke, and not a very good one at that, when they most likely:
  • Cannot afford basic personal hygiene (e.g. showering, shaving) to look remotely presentable and therefore employable
  • Do not have the means to search for employment and make contact (nowadays almost exclusively involves a laptop and/or phone with internet access)
  • Have not had quality sleep in forever
  • Are in poor physical health which negates their ability to work
  • Are so damaged by their living conditions that they have either been made to believe that the pursuit of anything resembling a good life is not worth it/nigh impossible, or that they have done something to deserve the circumstances they find themselves in
To deny these factors is to justify greed.

Yet another thread to the effect of "bla bla democrats stink and make the world worse [source?], damn leftists", even where the general sentiment conveyed is otherwise pure.

BTW, the USA does not have a leftist party. The Democrats are slightly left of centre at best.

Homelessness is one of those issues that I think just about everyone, regardless of political leaning, can acknowledge and sympathise with. Whatever legislative changes are underway, I can only hope they benefit those who need it the most.

Last edited by Lucifer666,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems strange to be homeless and then move to the single most expensive state in the nation. It would make more sense to move to a less in-demand state like Mississippi that hands out welfare like candy at a parade, and the weather is still nice.
Well, there are homeless people in every state. It's just a matter of proximity and convenience. It's mostly homeless people from the Western half of the country that wind up in California. Most of the homeless from the Eastern half end up in Florida.

But what is the solution? Giving millions of people $100k+ homes is not feasible or sustainable. Maybe pay security deposit and first month's rent at an apartment or other rental home, but that only helps for the first month, and if they can't get a job by then, yep back out on the street.
Funding and building small, permanent one bedroom houses or apartments is actually far cheaper than the cost to clean up after and care for each homeless person on the streets. Utah does the former and they've decreased the number of homeless by 72 percent.

Also, there are 1.5 million empty houses in the US (not even counting empty apartments), and only a bit over 550,000 homeless. The solution is obvious, it's just a question of whether we value capitalist gain over human lives.

Also it's not like you can force businesses to hire people they don't find desirable. There are a lot of people who aren't even qualified to be a janitor at McDonald's. The type of people who have 30 jobs over the course of a year, and quit them all the first time something goes wrong or they have a disagreement with their boss or coworkers.
True, there are a lot of homeless people with mental illness or other types of disabilities which would prevent stable employment. We need to start funding mental healthcare facilities in this country again, with a focus on rehabilitation and independence training/education. Not only for our homeless, but because there is a separate mental health crisis in this country happening right now as well.

I agree that this may appear to be convenient timing for this situation, but unless you can prove that this is just pandering by Trump, you can't say it is a bad proposition.
I'm not saying it's a bad proposition, I'm saying it's no proposition at all lol. It's like if MLK Jr had said, "I have a dream..." and left it at that.

If the government is the ones who need to fund the solution, in other words, you are saying the citizens must pay for the solution as the money will come out of taxes, not the politician's pockets. I'm not saying I have the best solution, but I feel this problem should be fixed with charity to provide housing/shelters
Charity comes just as much from average citizens as taxes do. And as I pointed out above: leaving the homeless on the streets puts more of a burden on taxpayers than simply providing them a decent living inside studio apartments. If we're gonna re-direct money from military projects to build a wall in the middle of the desert which will never be completed, surely we could instead re-direct some of that money to solving the homeless crisis.

Last edited by Xzi,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there an actual plan, or is the suggestion to just cut funding and put them in concentration camps? Cutting corners on housing to build more at a faster pace isn't a solution, just a recipe for disaster.

The UBI would be ideal here.

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Democrats are slightly left of centre at best.
Yeah, ok, I don't know what it's like in the Mary Poppin's world you live in, but it, obviously, doesn't have US tv news channels or Youtube. If you watch a portion of the democrat debate from yesterday, your mind will be overwhelmed with leftist chatter and socialism overload.

If "better help" does not include shelter and cover for basic survival expenses, then it's as good as nothing.
Just to repeat what I already said, giving someone temporary shelter or money will not help the underlying cause of their situation. Sure, it's a first step, but they need more than those two things to improve themselves, such as structure in their life to help them build.

I'm saying it's no proposition at all lol
Let me put it in terms you can understand, "They are going to build internment camps and lock the homeless up", except they won't be internment camps nor will they be locked up.

It's like if MLK Jr had said, "I have a dream..." and left it at that.
It seems that the left of today did stop listening after that part. They might have skipped over the rest of it and caught something about judging people.

Charity comes just as much from average citizens as taxes do.
Yeah, but charity is not a forced form of payment. Also, private charities, while a lot of money is wasted by them, are more likely to do a better job for the communities, compared to government ran options, as they don't suffer from as much government bureaucracy.

The UBI would be ideal here.
The problem with UBI is that it won't help anybody. The drug users will buy more drugs, the homeless will buy more booze, etc. These people are not living on the streets because they were good at money management. Why look for a job or place to live when I get free money to do what I please? I'll look for a home next month...yeah right, suckers!! UBI has been tried many times, and everytime has failed to do as it was intended to.

Last edited by morvoran,
Reactions: Thunder Hawk

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Let me put it in terms you can understand, "They are going to build internment camps and lock the homeless up", except they won't be internment camps nor will they be locked up.
First, there was no mention of this in the article you linked. Second, it solves nothing in the long term. What you're suggesting is basically the same as building more/larger homeless shelters.

It seems that the left of today did stop listening after that part. They might have skipped over the rest of it and caught something about judging people.
I certainly do judge the "white moderate" as harshly as MLK Jr did, I'll grant you that.

Yeah, but charity is not a forced form of payment. Also, private charities, while a lot of money is wasted by them, are more likely to do a better job for the communities, compared to government ran options, as they don't suffer from as much government bureaucracy.
The government has guaranteed annual income in the form of taxes, and it's the government that's meant to be taking care of its own citizens. If relying on charity hasn't solved the problem yet, it isn't going to in the future, either. All the federal government has to do is provide funding to individual state governments for the express purpose of building communities with multiple rent-free studio apartment complexes. With permanent addresses, those capable of working can start seeking employment again.

It's as simple as repealing Trump's corporate tax cuts to fund it. Not a single worker would have to see their taxes go up.
The problem with UBI is that it won't help anybody. The drug users will buy more drugs, the homeless will buy more booze, etc. These people are not living on the streets because they were good at money management.
I agree with this to some extent. UBI is more of a solution to the problem of automation rather than the homeless crisis. To fix homelessness, you give people homes. The government used to do just that during the New Deal era.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16