Troubling Loading Original Discs & Backups in USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Elliander, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Elliander
    OP

Member Elliander GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi. My Wii is 4.3u Softmodded. I have the Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 and USB Loader GX Version: 2.2 r1100 and Boot/Standard set to IOS 249.

My primary purpose for using USB Loader is to protect my discs from wear. I successfully Installed "Age of Discovery" (which already saw quite a bit of use) onto a USB Hard drive. (More specifically, I use a hard drive enclosure to convert a 3.4" 500 GB SATA Hard drive into a USB drive. One partition is WBFS for games and another partition I use for backups of old PSX Games to load since I sometimes like playing those old games, but don't feel like keeping my old PSX hooked up)

So anyway, I had no trouble installing and playing Age of Discovery - but that already had a save file (which also loaded without a problem). The problem I am having started with a brand new game I purchased with a Classic Controller. "Monster Hunter Tri". Without even playing it from the disc I installed it and then ran it from USB Loader GX. That game loaded beautiful cinematics that made me want to play. I clicked A to play where it said "Begin the Game" and the moment I did my HDTV made a strange sound and the screen went black. I had to turn off my Wii and start it up. Same thing happened a second time. I tried a third time to see if the other options work and both "Arena Play" and "Gallery" appears to work, but since no Save game exists yet I can't be sure if Play Solo from here would work at all. So once again I tried "Begin a Game" and it made the same sound. I checked to see if maybe it was the disc itself that was bad so loaded it normally and it had no problem reaching the "Select a File" menu without crashing the Wii. I then went back into USB Loader GX and checked "Game Load" settings for the game and set "VIDTV" to OFF, "Sneek Video Patch" to OFF", "Game Language" to "English", and Error 002 Fix to Anti (they were all set to use global by default). Hoping it was just a settings issue I then saved these new settings and ran the game again, but once again it crashed the Wii. I tried checking to make sure it was updated properly. There is no new update for the loader, but it found an update for wiitdb.zip and .xml (whatever that is) and successfully updated it. I then went once again to try loading the game. The Wii crashed yet again.

Lastly I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. After I uninstalled, but before I reinstalled, I tried mounting the game disc to load from within the USB loader. (to see if maybe it was some weird custom setting causing a problem) and it crashed the Wii. Running off the disc and not an ISO crashed the wii when I tried running from within USB Loader GX.

So there is my problem.

I read up on other threads and they suggest the problem is if it was using NTFS before adding WBFS. I specifically partitioned the hard drive in an Ubuntu machine to FAT32 (the part to later be partitioned as WBFS) with gPartition because I couldn't find any other way to set it up with larger sizes, but I did format the second partition as NTFS because not all windows machines like large FAT32 partitions. Could that still be my problem? If so could USB Loader GX use multiple FAT32 partitions on the same hard drive and use them together? Or is there any program that would work on Windows 7 (my main machine) that can format drives as FAT32 without problems and set up multiple partitions?

ANy help would be appreciated.

2. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I believe the problem could be your cios's, how long ago was the wii softmodded. On an old softmodded wii the game needs 223 to be used for the game (base 37 merged 38). Unlock the loader and in the individual settings change the game load to 223

The best option would be to download Modmii (its in the hacking forum) and use it to get the latest cios's (the loader works best with 249 d2xv6 base 56) this will install up to date 249, 250 etc cios's this will solve your issue.

Depending on how long ago you softmodded your wii you may need to rip the game to the hard drive again

3. Elliander
    OP

United States
    I just soft modded it a few days ago, and it wasn't easy. There wasn't a single complete guide that really worked (everything seemed to require something else), but I am fairly certain that the files used are no more than a week old from the various download sources. I spend so many hours looking for ones that worked I couldn't tell you anymore where I got the ones that did.

I currently have:

cIOSXRev19, cios222_rev4, IOS236

If there is something else I should install please let me know exactly which ones would help with compatibility and where I could find them. (I mean, in addition to Modmii which I will look for. Every time I think I am done I need more mods. lol)

(It's kind of funny. The typical SD card for a 4.3U Wii will look exactly the same after all the needed files are found. Why doesn't someone just create a perfect disc image of the exact combination of files needed with a simple walk through?)

4. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

ModMii ModMii ModMii... It wont get easier than that. just follow the on-screen directions to get all the files you need, then follow the generated guide which is based on your choices to get the files onto your Wii.

5. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The cios you installed is old
    there was v19, v20, v21 and then d2x versions of v21

Most games will work great on one cios with base 56, mod mii as standard will load this into slot 249, you need 250 for some games (call of duty : BO , the Sims 3)

6. Elliander
    OP

United States
    wow, this ModMii program is certainly impressive! It even managed to get BootMii to work right (which for some reason never worked to begin with) and I have it backing up my NAND now. I'm a bit hazy on in which order to install what (the instructions don't say), but so far so good.

It appears to be able to Format an external hard drive to FAT32. Does it do that formatting from within the Wii? How? If so I am going to try letting it handle the formatting (I can always reinstall games since I own them) just in case part of the problem was with the way I set up the WBFS.

Would BootMii work even if I didn't already install the Trucha Bug? I mean, if I helped a friend Mod their Wii would it work by itself without the chaos of spending hours searching for Mods that might or might not?

Easter Egg or not Easter Egg, this is a really nice program so I already donated.

7. Elliander
    OP

United States
    ModMii fixed everything! It even included a program to format a large hard drive to FAT32 directly! I'm not sure if it was the updated cIOS, the inclusion of a working Priiloader, or the reformated hard drive... but it was all fixed by ModMii! It even included a nice working Skin for my dashboard!

Once I found the instructions it generated on the SD Card everything was easy to follow.

I tested it all just now by reinstalling Monster Hunter Tri and... it loads! So everything seems to work! If I have any other weird crashes I'll be sure to write in, but for the most part it looks like it's case closed.

Only thing I really need to know now is if ModMii works well on 4.3U without any mods already on it, because I have some friends who want to have theirs Modded too. Oh, and will I need to keep updated the cIOS when new games come out? And is it now safe to rename all those installers with a .bak extension so they no longer appear in the Homebrew Channel?

Thanks!

8. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

you can delete installers from sd

9. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    I used ModMii for my virgin 4.3E without issues. The only thing that makes 4.3 "special" is the way you hack it in the first place. You either use some game which has a bug (bleh) or use letterbomb (wohoo!).
    ModMii can not configure letterbomb for you, but it directs you to the download page.

Note that the Letterbomb you download will only work for that wii, as it requires the MAC address of the Wii in order to work. In order words, you need the mac address of each wii you are going to hack and download letterbomb specifically for that wii.

All in all though, its ridiculously easy [​IMG]

10. Elliander
    OP

United States
    I had no trouble getting Letterbomb, the real problem was finding a cIOS to put the Trucha Bug back in. Then there were countless websites and countless versions and most were not even complete. It was an all night ordeal.