Trouble with writing saves on G6 Lite

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by muckers, May 18, 2007.

May 18, 2007
  1. muckers
    OP

Member muckers GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok, so I had Pokemon Diamond on my G6 Lite. Everything's going cool, it's saving fine and I get 60 hours of gameplay under my belt.

A couple of times I backed up saves just in case, but never needed them so carried on playing.

Then FFIII came out and I needed to make room on my G6 Lite to test it out (didn't want to delete the other games). Read the save file to my PC, deleted the game and played FFIII a bit.

Didn't really get into it so deleted it and tried to write Pokemon back on. The game went on fine, but I can't for the life of me get my save file to get back on there.

I've tried the one I backed up before I deleted it and the other two, less recent save files but none of them seem to work.

I've done stuff like writing it to .0 and writing it to .1 or .2 and then doing the save backup thing to get it to default but each time it doesn't seem to recognise that there's a save file there.

Anyone give me any help? I know there are some threads on this already, but the stuff in those threads doesn't seem to work.

So the situation is:

DIamond isn't on my G6 Lite at the minute - deleted it after giving up
    I've got three save files on my PC, each from various stages that I'd saved at (the saves are about 3 days each apart). One I backed up right before deleting diamond, and this is the most recent
    None of them work - i've tried writing to 0 as normal, and to .1 and .2 and then copying to default.

2. Thoto

Newcomer Thoto Member

United States
    They have to be the same file name as the rom, and you only use .0. All you have to do is drag and drop it into the NDS folder. I've done it several times with Touch The Dead, Ouendan, and Ouendan 2.

3. muckers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Save file is the same name and dragging and dropping doesn't work for me.

I copy it across, and it still doesn't read the save file...

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Start up the G6 in the DS, wait for it to get to the menu, then turn it off without starting a game. Then copy the save file onto the G6.

5. muckers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Do you mean just the G6 menu, with the list of ROMs? I'll try that now, thanks for your help.

EDIT: Well, I tried that - no luck. [​IMG]

I don't know why it keeps doing it. It's almost as if it doesn't overwrite the save file that's on there because if I start a new game and save, it saves fine. Then if I try and copy over that with my backed-up save file, the previous save data is still their (ie. the 'test' of newly started saved game)

This is really gutting, cos it was working fine up until now - I wanted to transfer across teh save data to my legit copy of Diamond, as well, which is due in the post any day now.

Had 60 hours on that sucka. [​IMG]

6. Destructobot

United States
    This is generally caused by putting a new save file on the G6 when there is already a save for that game in the SRAM. As soon as the system is turned on, the save in the file you just put on the cart is overwritten by the save in SRAM. If that is what's happening, the solution is to start the G6 in the DS and let it copy the save to the file, then turn it off without starting a game. Then you should be able to copy a save file to the cart without it being overwritten.

However, you say you tried that and it didn't help...

Try starting a different (non-pokemon) game, then turn the DS off and back on, wait for the G6 to get to the game list, then turn the DS off and copy the save file to the G6. This should prevent any possibility of a pokemon save still being in the SRAM and overwriting the save in the file.

7. muckers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for all your help, Destructobot. [​IMG]

Tried what you suggested, but alas no luck.

I think it may be the actual save files themselves, because I tried what you suggested and copied by 'backed up' save file across, and my test save (the on where I'd started a new game and just saved right at the very beginning) was no longer there.

It didn't, however, recognise the save I'd copied across, leading me to believe that it did overwrite the old data but was corrupt or incorrect in someway.

Perhaps I'd done something wrong in backing up, causing a bad save?

8. Destructobot

United States
    That's a possibility. If you want to post your save, I can test it and see if it works.

You can upload your save here: http://www.zshare.net/

9. muckers
    OP

United Kingdom
  10. Destructobot

United States
    That's a blank save. I opened it in a hex editor, and there is no data in it at all.

11. muckers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Gah, you're right - I just checked the save out in Hex Workshop, and it's all FFs.

It's really, really odd - only Pokemon saves that have done that. My Advance Wars and Ouendan saves are intact, and they were backed up at the same time...

Well, thanks again for the help. Guess it's starting again when Diamond arrives... [​IMG]

12. DDRfreak457

Newcomer DDRfreak457 Newbie

United States
    we gotta find a way to transfer saves

im trying to transfer my save over as well

i go to Default->DS Cart

and it just looks up when i say overwrite

no clue whats going on