Trouble with USB harddrive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by wiiztec, Jun 7, 2009.

Jun 7, 2009

Trouble with USB harddrive by wiiztec at 2:10 PM (1,029 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. wiiztec
    OP

Member wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I bought my friend a used 250GB Western Digital my passport essentials USB harddrive
    He has windows XP and it tells him he needs a device driver, the Configurable USB Loader v31 times out when trying to find it

I'm wondering if junk data or somthing on the drive is preventing the Wii from reading it and XP really does only need a device driver to assign it a drive letter so he can format it to WBFS with the WBFS manager I'm hoping that's the case and that it's not broken

2. chiroaus

Newcomer chiroaus Member

Australia
    It could be a faulty cable.

3. jarock

Member jarock GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    Try using a different USB lead for your PC. The drive should not need any device drivers as it's a mass storage device.
    I had this issue, was my lead and as windows cannot read the drive properly it assumed it needed a device driver. When I changed the lead it never asked for a device driver and just found it without any problems. I had a USB2 lead adapter I got on ebay as my USB ports are on the back and did not want to keep pulling out the base unit so I got the a USB2 lead to extend it to my table but both of my HD cannot be found on it. I have to connect direct into the PC port without any HUB or adapter.
    Don't know if this is any help but just a thought incase.

But if windows can see it but asks for a driver I would nearly bet my money on it's your lead, either your connecting via a hub or a faulty USB lead [​IMG]

4. wiiztec
    OP

United States
    Even if his computer detects it

It says it needs a device driver

I would think that if the cable was faulty the computer wouldn't detect it at all

5. jarock

Ireland
    Not really, I ment windows did detect my HD via the lead but wanted to install drivers which are not needed so kept asking for them. When i plugged th HD direct into the PC port window again detected it but installed it staight away under mass storage device and drive was listed in my computer. Then when installed I put back on other lead and same again windows found but asked again for device drivers so figures my lead was faulty. I have 2 USB Powered HD's and I would say that the drives could not draw enough power via the extra cable so kept dropping off and on all the time causing problems. This would explain also way USB Loader cannot see it either.

When you plug the drive into the PC does it make a clicking, clanging sound? - Drive is faulty or cannot get enough power via lead. try another USB 2.0 lead and connect direct into your PC, try another port.

6. wiiztec
    OP

United States
    Yeah it turned out to be a bad cable

7. jarock

Ireland
    No probs and your welcome [​IMG]