Hacking Trouble with save files

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been having a lot of trouble saving on my 3-in-1.

I'm using YSMenu on an original R4, and have tried everything i can think of to make my games save.

I've tried PSRAM and NOR
I've tried unpatched roms, roms patched with GBATA, roms patched with the EZ4 client.

So far, i'm having no luck saving at all.

I'm almost certain the battery isn't the problem, because it recognises that there is a save file there to back up.
It's just that the save file doesn't contain any data.

The only game that i have managed to get to save is A link to the past, when copied to NOR.
However, it only saves sometimes.

It seems, the times when it does save are when i've not been playing for long, like just creating a new file, or starting a new game, but if i play for any length of time, when i back my save file up, there is nothing in it.

I've also tried GBAExploader version .058b, but haven't had much luck with this either.

Often, when i load up GBAExploader after playing a game, it will come up asking me to initialise the cart, even though i've done this before, and then when i switch to NOR mode in GBAExploader, it just crashes, with an emtyp file list, and won't let me press anything.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem is?

I'm prepared to try any suggestions, i just want my GBA games to save.

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Robbert777 said:
hmm got the same problem. I hope someone knows how to solve this.

is it possible that it's a faulty batch?

where did you order yours from and when?

does anybody else know a solution to this problem?

Robbert777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
j2011 said:
Robbert777 said:
hmm got the same problem. I hope someone knows how to solve this.

is it possible that it's a faulty batch?

where did you order yours from and when?

does anybody else know a solution to this problem?

Nah I think it is a real product, since rumble and RAM seem to work like they should be.
Quake2DS works now properly with the 3in1, while the official Opera memory wasnt working.

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
aah, yeah.

the rumble and ram on mine work too.

could you let me know if you find out anything else, by p.m.?

Robbert777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yup, still searching for the answer...
meanwhile I have another problem, after succesfull writing a save to a gba saveslot, my whole gbaexploader quit working?!?
The only thing I see now is a white screen (empty, no folders or files) at the topscreen, but the lower screen seems to be still working properly ( however I cant change anything, its frozen)

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't tried it with pokemon emerald, only sapphire.

Regardless of whether i have applied the clock patch, and whether i have used GBATA or the EZ4 cient to patch the roms, whenever i start Sapphire again after saving it says "The save file has been deleted"

Have you had any success at all with saving games?

which patcher did you use, and which version of it?

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Robbert777 said:
My problem seems to be slightly diffrent, I dont see a save game at all when I want to start up a game. Each time I open a game wich a have played before, I have to make a new profile :S.

Have you guys already tryed this 'solution' ? http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2070
Too bad it didnt work for me, but you could try it, and see if it works for you...

That didn't seem to be much of a solution.

i've been doing that already.

and, when i'm using YSMenu, it auto backs up the save if the game was played in PSRAM

Robbert777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
j2011 said:
Robbert777 said:
My problem seems to be slightly diffrent, I dont see a save game at all when I want to start up a game. Each time I open a game wich a have played before, I have to make a new profile :S.

Have you guys already tryed this 'solution' ? http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2070
Too bad it didnt work for me, but you could try it, and see if it works for you...

That didn't seem to be much of a solution.

i've been doing that already.

and, when i'm using YSMenu, it auto backs up the save if the game was played in PSRAM
So...when youre using YSMenu, does the save function work there as it should be?

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
when using YSMenu, it automatically backs up the saves, but there is nothing in it, or it is coppupted.

also, sometimes, after flashing a game to NOR, it never shows up as even being in my DS, on YSMenu, and won't let me back up the save file.

I looked at the 3-in-1 link, but assumed i didn't need any of the patched because:

a)none of them are for the EZflash, so i assumed that a regular SRAM patch would work
b)some of the games i've been having trouble with aren't included.

So far, games i've tried are:
Pokemon sapphire
Pokemon emerald
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Mario Kart
Zelda: ALTTP
Zelda: Minish cap
Tony hawk's underground.

no success saving with any of them.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
pokemon games require RTC patching, and yes this applies to everyone with a 3in1, including YOU.

golden sun (both of them), zelda (both of them), and mario kart use Flashv123 save type, you can use SRAM patching.

Tony Hawk uses Eeprom v122 save type, you can use SRAM patching.

After SRAM patching, it makes your previous save files useless and you have to delete them.

YSMenu doesn't auto patch anything, it does a straight transfer of the game to the 3in1. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY PATCH YOUR GAMES.

Get a copy of OfflineList so you can look up info on your own games so you don't have to ask about game loading issues.

ALL pokemon, golden sun and zelda games you have to put in NOR mode, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Robbert777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have placed zelda the minish cap in NOR mode, the file is called ety-zmc.gba .
GBA Exploader says: "Current SRAM Save < ety-:mc.SAV >"
But each time I restart it, it says that the save game is corrupt or it won't even show up!?

I have patched 'ety-zmc.gba' with GBATA, and Running a original R4 with a new 3in1 exp.

Warioland4 also doesn't saves, but that one shouldnt need any patching right?

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
pokemon games require RTC patching, and yes this applies to everyone with a 3in1, including YOU.

golden sun (both of them), zelda (both of them), and mario kart use Flashv123 save type, you can use SRAM patching.

Tony Hawk uses Eeprom v122 save type, you can use SRAM patching.

After SRAM patching, it makes your previous save files useless and you have to delete them.

YSMenu doesn't auto patch anything, it does a straight transfer of the game to the 3in1. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY PATCH YOUR GAMES.

Get a copy of OfflineList so you can look up info on your own games so you don't have to ask about game loading issues.

ALL pokemon, golden sun and zelda games you have to put in NOR mode, NO EXCEPTIONS.

I have tried pokemon with and without RTC patch.

I have also tried all the games you mentioned, with and without SRAM patching in YSMenu, and with and without SRAM patching in GBAExploader.

I have also tried all of the games in both NOR and PSRAM.

i have tried absolutely everything i can think of.

Do you have any idea what the problem is?

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
Either your doing something wrong or you got a defective 3in1.

16MB games and under can be loaded to PSRAM, anything bigger HAS TO be loaded in NOR.

I know that games above 16MB have to be loaded into NOR, because you can't load a 32MB game into 16MB of PSRAM.

I already figured out that i'm either doing something wrong, or i have a defective 3in1.

I'm trying to find out if anyone thinks i'm doing anything wrong, before deciding that my 3in1 is defective.

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
Try DLDI patching gba exploader.

That might work.

however, i think i've been using it DLDI patched, and it hasn't been working.

R4 auto DLDI patches games, so would DLDI patching it before putting it onto the R4 break this in any way?

also, i downloaded the DLDI right click tool.
is this outdated in any way?
would dldi patching it with a different tool give better effects?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"