Trouble with my Wiikey - please help! :(

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jr9770, Jun 18, 2007.

Jun 18, 2007
  1. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Hi Guys,

I could really use some help because I'm very frustrated. Today I installed my Wiikey and every disc I try (including the Wiikey 1.2 setup disc) gives me the following error: "Unable to read the disc. Check the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

Let me tell you what I've tried thus far. First off, let me just say that my IC chip did not have the three cut legs. I specifically checked for that when I had the case open and all of the legs were intact. I'm not the best solderer in the world, but I feel good about my solder points. However, at this point I'm thinking that's where the problem lies.

I have downloaded the 1.2 setup software and run the US bat file (I have a US NTSC Wii) about 3 times now. My burner is a Sony DRU-800A. I have tried 5 different brands of media. They are:

Sony 16x DVD-R
    Memorex 16x DVD+R
    Memorex 16x DVD-R
    Maxell 16x DVD-R
    Staples brand 16x DVD-R

I have burned with both Nero and IMGBurn and at various speeds with each type of disc (4X, 8X, and 16X in some cases). I have several Wii Game's burned to various discs as well and they give me the same unable to read the disc error. At this point I'm concentrating on just getting the setup disc to work though! When I explore the contents of my burned setup disc I see the following folders/files:

Dols
    Media
    Snes
    boot.catalog
    bootldr.dol
    mfe-fs.zip

Exploring the contents of my Wii burned discs doesn't show anything (discs are unreadable by my computer, I assume I'd need one of those LG drives to read the disc contents). Just the fact that my burned Wii game discs can't be read by my computer tells me the burns for these came out ok. Original Wii games can't be read by my computer either.

So my question to you all is, based on everything I told you I've done so far, would you say that the problem at this point lies in my actual install of the chip (bad solder job perhaps, or even a bad chip)? Btw, original Wii games are playing just fine. My feeling is if I botched things up too badly then those wouldn't even work anymore, right?

I think tomorrow night I am going to open it back up again and double check my solder points. At that point I'll probably snap a picuture of it and post it here if I'm still having trouble. Maybe you guys will see something in my picture that I did wrong and offer some advice. I appreciate any help you guys can give me! This is driving me crazy!

Jeff

2. ds6220

Member ds6220 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have been thinking of getting a mod chip as well so I am interested to hear what some of the experieced mod-ites (mod-sters? Mod-ies? I am lost, sorry) have to say about this. Of course, a picture would sure help.......ahem. Isin's this the internet? shouldn't there be a picture here by now? (just joking with ya there)

3. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    I'll get a picture tonight, I promise. In doing more research, at this point I think I either have a D2C chip that can't be modded (pretty unlikely I think - but I didn't know about those when I started so I didn't check for it), a bad Wiikey chip (how often does that happen??), or I just installed it poorly. I think I've safely ruled out bad media at this point based on how many discs I burned yesterday without success.

Tonight I'll re-open it and re-do all the solder if need be. I really want this to work. At this point I've invested far too much time and money into it to just walk away. Regardless of whether or not I get it working tonight I plan on snapping a picture.

I've read a lot of posts with people who have posted picts of their installs and some of them are quite messy and I'm shocked that they work at all. I know my soldering came out better than some of these jobs that I've seen so I was pretty surprised when I turned it on yesterday and it didn't recognize any of my discs. Oh well, wish me luck, tonight is round two. [​IMG]

4. kargath254

Newcomer kargath254 Newbie

United States
    Honestly I think the problem is the media you are using. The only ones on that list you provided that are worth their salt are the sony discs. Make sure you tried them at 2x, 4x, 8x, etc.

Try some high quality ones as well: http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/recordabl...ity_page_1.html (Personally I have had 100% success with Verbatim @ 8x).

5. ih8crouch

Member ih8crouch GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use crappy datawrite DVD-r disks, as cheap and as poop as they come and ive never had an issue with them 100% working at 8x

6. bootmonster

Member bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    the important matter is that real discs work, which suggests the chip is working also, otherwise you would effectively be getting a short and no discs would work. try better discs and a better burner?

7. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Thanks for the replies, guys. So one question I had that bootmonster just answered was that the chip is working if original discs still load. I wasn't sure if that would be a sign or not. It's good to know that if I did something majorly wrong, or the chip was bad that no game would load in the system at all. Anyone else want to confirm that bootmonster is right on this point (just for my peace of mind...)

I'd like to think my burner is ok, it's not that old at all. Is there anyone out there with my same model (Sony DRU-800A) that has successfully burned Wii ISO's? I've heard that the Wiikey setup disc isn't as picky as games though, and right now I'm just trying to get that to work. I know the staples brand I tried was crap, but I'd have thought that the Sony and Memorex discs would be ok. I'll look for some Verbatim today. I'm still opening it back up to double check my solder job.

8. pnut

Member pnut GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you use wires or did you do the quick-solder? If you are not the best solderer in the world, I would suggest wiring your Wiikey and soldering that way since it would account for less errir, especially with the close-quarters of the solder points.

Also, try downloading the 1.1 version of Wiikey software. Also, I used Verbatims, TDK's, Sony's and Maxell's with no problem. The only thing I recommend as I was advised on another forum (or this one, I forget) is to burn at around 8x if you are using 16xDVD-R's. I noticed a difference burning at that rate as opposed to 4x. I got DRE errors when I burned at 4x off and on even with the same game. Hope that helps!!! Please post some pics of your solder job so we cna beter assess where the problem lies.

9. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    I kind of went with a combination of quicksolder and wires. For the two larger holes I quicksoldered, then with the 4 smaller points I bridged them with wire. I actually used the finished product in Opium's Wiikey review as the guide. Mine looks similar to this:

http://opium.gbatemp.net/wiikey/installcloseup.jpg

I know I've burned some of the media I've used at 8X, but thanks for that tip. At this point I'll concentrate on just burning at 8X. I'm going to track down some Verbatim because a lot of people have success with that brand. I'll also try the 1.1 setup disc. I didn't think to try that.

Let me ask you this, is there a particular specification that a DVD burner requires in order to work with the Wii? I think I read somewhere that the burner had to support some Raw data format or something. Maybe I can research to make sure my drive is capable of making the right type of disc. Actually, my girlfriend's laptop has a DVD burner and I never thought to try burning a disc on that. I'll have to try that tonight as well!

Do you agree though that since my Wii can still read original discs that chances are my install and mod chip are fine? If I knew that for a fact it would save me a lot of headache because then I know I don't have to keep opening up the Wii to check that, and I can just focus on my actual burner and media.

Thanks!

10. The_Cylon_Surfer

Member The_Cylon_Surfer GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ummm, I screwed my Wiikey install AND the drive still worked (loaded originals but not backups). So I wouldnt say that its installed correctly just because they play. Your Wii is defently fine tho, if its playing originals you most likely have a poor connection somewhere or have burnt a pad and soldered over it thinking its fine. You'll get it working one way or another - I sent mine off to some guy in york (UK), it turned out I had burnt pads on both the Wii and Wiikey. the modder got mine working just fine and it was back at my house in under 3 days!!! Maybe thats your best bet unless your good at soldering, in my experience de-soldering to check for bad connections lead to my burnt pad problem (but i'm crap [​IMG] )

Good Luck!!

11. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Thanks, that's helpful. So it could still be a bad install. I'll check it tonight after work. How does one tell exactly if you burnt a pad? i mean what would I be looking for?

12. pnut

Member pnut GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Iw ould tend to say that it might be a bad install on the big points.... good luck unsoldering that since I had a tough time with quicksolder and ended up ripping off 3 contact points. Luckily Nintendo hooked it up and got me a new Wii (refurbished and I lost my VC games and Miis and points, but w/e). THe hardest part IMO are getting the big points quick soldered correctly. I would have done the bridge on all the points, that way you could be absolutely sure that the points connected. What wattage iron were you using? 15W to me is the best since it leaves wiggle room for correcting an error, since its such low wattage, it is a bit harder to burn a point.

13. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    This is entirely WRONG. Your Wii can still work properly with original discs with a WiiKey installed incorrectly. It all depends on which connections are correct and which aren't.

I would bet money that it's just a poor install. Open it back up and check all connections for continuity with a multi-meter. If all checks out then test with a backup before re-assembling everything. If you can't do this then you should get some help before you do kill your Wii.

14. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    I'm using a 15W solder iron. I bet it is the larger points that have the problem - I may not have lined it up perfectly. I think my smaller points all looked good. I'll check for continuity as Lazycus suggested. I really think the install just isn't quite right and I'm glad that the consensus is a Wii can still work fine playing originals with a bad install. Now I have something to focus on.

15. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    the install looks fine, i've done alot of these type of installs. only thing different is that i dont use small wires but only use solder.

I think you have a faulty chip, you try a different wiikey, i'm sure it will work then.

16. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Lenselije - I may not have been clear above. The link with the image I mentioned above is not my install, but rather an install that I kind of modeled mine after. This was just to show that I quicksoldered the larger holes and used wires for the smaller points like in that picture. That wasn't actually mine, so it's possible I still messed it up. [​IMG]

17. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    ok, can you take a picture of your own install, but just remember you can always have a faulty wiikey.

18. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Its not working for you because you combined a quick solder mod and a wire mod. Do one or the other, not both.

19. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Really? It's important to be consistent like that? In both cases the contacts are still being bridged so what difference would it make if it's wire for the smaller contacts and quicksolder for the larger holes? If that is the case then great, I guess I just don't understand why that would make a difference?

20. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, the guy who installed my WiiKey tried that first but the WiiKey config disk didn't work, so then he just removed the wires and did a full quick solder then my backups worked. Might just be a concidence tho