Trouble with HDD and USB Loader GX/Wiiflow

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by The Crane Game, Jun 6, 2013.

1. The Crane Game
    OP

The Crane Game Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Hey everybody, I've been lurking on GBAtemp for years now, but I've finally broken down and had to make an account because I can't seem to figure out my problem.
    I've had a Toshiba 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (PH3100U-1EXB) for about two years or so. I've been using it for multiple purposes, one of those is to back up Wii games. I recently installed the Homebrew Channel on my Wii U without much trouble and have gotten the Hard Drive to work with the homebrew. My problem arises when I try to use USB Loader GX or Wiiflow.
    Now, I can get USB Loader GX to work, as long as I unplug and plug in the hard drive everytime USB Loader is loading and counting down in an attempt to locate the hard drive. This is an okay solution, as the games load fine and I have no trouble at all with games freezing or not working (for the most part, any issues I've had on that end I've been able to work out.) Basically, I want to know if there is a way that I can use USB Loader without having to go through the trouble of getting my hard drive detected each time I want to switch games.
    The other issue I'm having is with Wiiflow. When I use Wiiflow, it will detect my hard drive without any issues and begin to load games. However, each game I have tried will hang at a black screen for about thirty seconds and then kick me back to the Wii menu.
    I'm not sure which is easier or which is more preferred (I'm more accustomed to USB Loader GX since it actually works,) but I'm hoping I can get some help and possibly a solution on these issues I'm having. One last thing to note, my hard drive is separated into two partitions, one for WBFS and the other for FAT32. The FAT32 partition is detected by any homebrew and the Homebrew Channel itself with no trouble at all. Kind of sucks the loaders aren't the same way.
    Thanks in advance for any help at all! Let me know if there's anything else I need to provide so we can possibly solve this!

2. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Y cable?

3. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    This hard drive requires an external power supply to even power on, so it's not that it isn't getting enough power or would need a Y cable. At least, that's how I've understood it.

4. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Oh.
    Which USB port you are using?

5. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    The top one. I know there's probably a proper name for it, but my hard drive works with it, it's just the inconvenience of having to switch it on and off each time.

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    which version of d2x did you install ?

there are two versions for WiiU :
    v10 and V10 alternative.

If one doesn't work, try the other one.
    tell us if you already tried both and still have that problem.

7. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I've tried both, the alternative one is the version that worked for me. I've had this same issue with my Wii in the past too, I'm not sure if I mentioned that or not.

8. Warlord698

Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    United States
    have you tried the full instructions from this thread (installing said wad's into multiple positions)?
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

just to make sure it isn't your drive, you might wanna CFG USB loader (Configurable USB Loader), it seems to have the highest compatibility with vWii setup from what I seen. I personally have FAT32 and NTFS as my dual partition (all the games on the NTFS partition are .wbfs format though)

9. P3rf3ctVZer0
    This message by P3rf3ctVZer0 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Aug 25, 2015.
    Aug 25, 2015
  10. Noctosphere
    This message by Noctosphere has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Aug 25, 2015.
    Aug 25, 2015