Homebrew Trouble with A9lH. Emunand backup is Toshiba, while the Sysnand is Samsung

Derpncheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this normal or did I do something wrong? I've been following Plailect's guide and am working on step 4, but the Emunand backup is a Toshiba type at 943MB, while the Sysnand backup is a Samsung at 954MB. My system nand is Samsung, so is this not right? I don't want to risk bricking my console because a hardmod is out of the question at this point.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wouldn't using rednand for the emunand make it smaller than the actual nand? I know on the n3ds it brings the 1.8 one down to 1.2
Yeah, this is probably the reason. From what I heard redNAND basically makes the partition only take up the space the 3DS is actually using, which presumably would be the size of the smallest NAND.

Reactions: pbanj

Derpncheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never seem that actually causing a problem, but I could be missing something here

I guess it doesn't matter because Emunand is not the actual Sysnand? I just want to be sure, honestly.

Wouldn't using rednand for the emunand make it smaller than the actual nand? I know on the n3ds it brings the 1.8 one down to 1.2

I'm not sure, but the Emunand is smaller and fits the filesize of a Toshiba type Nand. Both are the right sizes (According to the guide), but shouldn't they be the same type of brand name Nand?

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
I guess it doesn't matter because Emunand is not the actual Sysnand? I just want to be sure, honestly.

I'm not sure, but the Emunand is smaller and fits the filesize of a Toshiba type Nand. Both are the right sizes (According to the guide), but shouldn't they be the same type of brand name Nand?
You followed the guide from the first part? If yes you are using rednand not emunand, while tthey are pretty much the same shit rednand uses the min amount of space. That's why you would have a size miss match .

Derpncheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You followed the guide from the first part? If yes you are using rednand not emunand, while tthey are pretty much the same shit rednand uses the min amount of space. That's why you would have a size miss match .

Yeah, I started from the first part using Oothax as my entrypoint to HBL. So I'm guessing everything is good, just as long as the filesizes for the Nands are the right ones?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this is probably the reason. From what I heard redNAND basically makes the partition only take up the space the 3DS is actually using, which presumably would be the size of the smallest NAND.

That's exactly it. The guide was switched to use rednand specifically because it can generate smaller files in some cases, thus speeding up all the reading/dumping of sysnand and emunand. It literally slices an hour or more off the time the process takes with the systems that have the larger nand.

Reactions: pbanj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs