Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
With the success I had with a 500 GB internal SATA hard drive in backing up games on one partition and playing media files with another I decided I buy a 3 TB Hitachi USB hard drive to run the same games, but to be able to run on the same drive all my media files. When I set up the partitions I had to set the media partition at 2 TB because that was the maximum that my Ubuntu computer would support so set the rest (a little under 750 GB) for backing up games (despite being much more than I needed). I set up the partition as FAT32 and put WBFS file system on top with no problems and also had no problems transferring games from one drive to another.

When I plugged it into my Wii the problems started. USB Loader GX hangs on initializing and MPlayer just gives me a RAM dump - "Exception (DSI) Occurred!" and says "Reloading in 8 seconds" but never does and I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds instead.

Is there any way to make it work? Or what is the maximum partition and/or hard drive size allowed for each?

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this is one of the Hitachi Lifestudio drives then i think you are out of luck.
I had a 2TB version of that drive and the wii failed to recognize it in any apps at all. I eventually gave up and sold the drive to a friend, so unless there has been any advances in new hdd compatibility, then your drive may never work with the wii at all.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
If this is one of the Hitachi Lifestudio drives then i think you are out of luck.
I had a 2TB version of that drive and the wii failed to recognize it in any apps at all. I eventually gave up and sold the drive to a friend, so unless there has been any advances in new hdd compatibility, then your drive may never work with the wii at all.

Does anyone have a list of drives confirmed to work and drives confirmed to not work? Maybe a thread dedicated to building such a list? I can confirm that a 1 TB Western Digital Passport drive works flawlessly with the Wii. I didn't even need to create a WBFS partition. I just formatted the drive to FAT32 and then created a WBFS folder within "Wii Backup Manager". Then I had no problems at all and can actually use any unused space for media files that I can remove from the drive if I ever needed room for games. (A shame PSX games don't yet run from USB)

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Please do a search :(

LMAO! This forum doesn't have a search engine at all and I already tried google. The closest thing to a search is in the wiki and that just searches the wiki which likewise does not appear to contain such a list. How am I supposed to search the forums without a search engine to perform the search? By Manually checking every single thread? If no one else knows that there probably needs to be an official thread.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii can't read disks over 2TB. the ps3 and 360 can't either, so it's not due to weaker tech. I believe it has to do with the plates in the drive using a different structure (ie: fitting more data on each plate than 1TB and 2TB).

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
LMAO! This forum doesn't have a search engine at all and I already tried google. The closest thing to a search is in the wiki and that just searches the wiki which likewise does not appear to contain such a list. How am I supposed to search the forums without a search engine to perform the search? By Manually checking every single thread? If no one else knows that there probably needs to be an official thread.

You should look more closely... The forum has a fully working search function.
And.... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wii+hdd+compability+list

:/

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the wii can't read disks over 2TB. the ps3 and 360 can't either, so it's not due to weaker tech. I believe it has to do with the plates in the drive using a different structure (ie: fitting more data on each plate than 1TB and 2TB).
basically the problem is adressing 512 bit sized sectors with 32 bit adresses (as mbr partitioning does)
which leads to 512b*2^32 = 2TiB maximun space
unfortunatly neither the real solution (gpt) nor the workaround (4k sectors) work reliable for various reasons (including a pollitical decicion on MS part to push 64bit + efi with >2TiB drive support as a lever)

I would stay away from >2TiB and 4k drives for general usage
only take then into consideration if you have confirmation that they are supported by your other stuff

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs