Hacking Trouble injecting Wii game onto WiiU hdd - any help please

Encarta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I modded my Wii and WiiU around 6 months ago and had it to the stage where I could rip gamecube discs using usbloader_gx on the Wii onto a usb stick, then using TeconMoon's injector on PC creating injections where the games would appear as channels on the WiiU, installed on the WiiUs HDD. I'm only using Haxchi at the moment and am aware to run it each time the WiiU boots back up before doing anything modded.
I ripped a load of games, then put it on the back burner, and did a few more occasionally over the months, but I've got a bit rusty on the side of what I have/haven't installed during the previous modding process - so when I follow any guides now, there's either stuff that's out of date (as newer processes/software have developed), or there's suggested stages where I can't remember if I've ready done that bit before, and don't want to redo/reinstall something that might cause more harm than good.
I've basically got most of my Gamecube games injected onto the HDD, and have checked they all run ok [the only ones with issues were Viewtiful Joe 1+2 (PAL versions - issues with nintendont progressive/60hz settings) and Wario World and MGS Twin Snakes, where a patching process that I only recently tried mostly sorted those.]

Now however, I was going to try installing Wii games hopefully using the same method, but the game isn't working, just a black screen and crash that needs the power plug pulling.
I have Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn* as a wbfs file and tried installing it using the same method as I had for gamecube games, and this method seems to work for this person
After it didn't work 1st time and looking around online I remembered for the gamecube iso's they had to be named 'game.iso' within each games folder, so I renamed the file 'game.wbsf', but no luck. I then tried putting it on the Wii's usbstick and it didn't show in usbloader - then I found that I had to have a 'wbfs' folder on the usbstick's root, so placed the game in there and great, it showed up in usbloader on the wii and I loaded it up and played a couple of turns in the 1st battle.
So I tried going back to the WiiU and created a new inject to place in the WiiU's sdcard 'install' folder and stuck a copy of the game that just worked for the wii in a wbfs folder on the WiiU's sdcard - but still neither of these worked.

When I'm using usbloader on the wii, if I click on an icon at the top i can select whether to show Wii and/or Gamecube games, and both are checked - but when I go to the same icon on vWii the Wii box is unchecked, then when i try to click on it a message pops up "Error: USB Device not initialized. Switching to channel list mode." and then it checks the 'nand' box instead.
Now I've read before that Wii games couldn't be installed on the same hdd as WiiU games, but I thought that was out of date info and wasn't the case anymore? Even so, my Wii game isn't on the hdd at this point, just on the WiiU's sdcard, so I don't know why this message would be showing. I've looked in the usbloader/nintendont settings and couldn't see anything obvious that told it where to look for the games.
As I write this I realise that on the wii the gamecube and wii rips are placed on a usbstick that's in the rear usb port, and no games are on the sdcard in the front slot - but on the WiiU, the gamecube games that I can see on vWii's usbloader (not the injects on the hdd) are placed on an sdcard in the WiiU's front slot. But if the vWii is looking for these gamecube games on the sdcard, why wouldn't it also see the wii game there too?

SO... my first main question is: as of 2021, can wii games be installed as injects on the WiiU's usb hdd as Gamecube games are?

I have also tried converting the wbfs to iso using wbfstoiso.com, and this doesn't help either.
I've also seen in dated(?) guides to use Wii Backup Manager, but then someone else on this site (can't remember where) was saying don't use that it's a bad program - these guides also mention reformatting a drive or something and I don't want to be doing that really.

The second question is: how am I supposed to get wii injects on the WiiU's hdd if it can be done?

A third question is: what's the safest way to check which mods e.g. d2x-cios, xyzzy, yetanotherbluedumpmod I've installed previously on the WiiU so I know I've already done those steps before and haven't missed something out?

*FYI, the wii and wiiU are both PAL consoles and the Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn game is US NTSC - I have a mix of PAL and NTSC gamecube games and they've no issue playing from injects, but I've just read in the comments on the video link above that someone had black screen issues and then when they got the game in their region it worked fine - would that really be likely when gamecube games run fine from other regions?

I know that was long, but if anyone can help in any way that would be great, thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes to your first question. tecmonmoon might be able to do it. I've injected two wii games on my wii u hdd, but it was a long time ago.

Reactions: Encarta

Encarta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes to your first question. tecmonmoon might be able to do it. I've injected two wii games on my wii u hdd, but it was a long time ago.
Thanks for confirming the 1st part. I think the problem is most people either modded theirs a long time ago, and have forgotten or used now outdated methods, or they're new to this and having to search through a mixed bag of information which is quite confusing.

Encarta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a good Youtube video to follow.

Yeah thanks, I did watch that one numerous times, but still no joy. Both this video and the one I posted make it seem really simple, but it's just not working for me. Someone, somewhere else said they clicked the 'don't trim output' setting and that allowed their game to launch, but it would crash after a short while during the 1st battle (Fire Emblem) anyway. I'm going to give that a go, and also try ripping another wii game to check that - I should have maybe done that first, but got too engrossed trying to look for solutions to this issue.

OK, just tried ripping Wii Sports Resort PAL on my PAL Wii through usbloader_gx and it stopped at 4% and did nothing for a minute before I pulled the plug. There was a blank game art image in usbloader but when I went to options to delete the game it couldn't do it. So I put the usbstick in PC and it has a wbfs folder with the game's folder inside then in that a 'RZTP01.wbfs.tmp' file of 0kb.
I deleted it and tried again, and same thing again.
So I tried Animal Crossing Wii PAL and it got stuck at 10% (but it's a smaller game, so maybe after the same amount of data had passed?) and the same thing happened with the blank art and game folder.
I have 5GB free on an 8GB usbstick, and it's the same stick I used for all the gamecube games.
So now that's another issue that needs sorting.

Last edited by Encarta,

jml_hybs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@Encarta do you manage to fix the fire emblem inject? Having the same issue with this game. Other wii games works smoothly even with game pad controls.

Encarta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Encarta do you manage to fix the fire emblem inject? Having the same issue with this game. Other wii games works smoothly even with game pad controls.
Hi, it's been almost a year so can't remember specifics but I think I found a EU PAL version of the game and that seems to work, though I've not played it much past the first battle either, as I was in the process of playing through Path of Radiance first and fell off that and went onto other games. As for the other Wii games I mention above not installing properly - I think I found a different method where I use the WiiU to rip Wii games and they've all worked, but again, I haven't done any for about half a year so can't remember anything off the top of my head.

Reactions: jml_hybs

jml_hybs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi, it's been almost a year so can't remember specifics but I think I found a EU PAL version of the game and that seems to work, though I've not played it much past the first battle either, as I was in the process of playing through Path of Radiance first and fell off that and went onto other games. As for the other Wii games I mention above not installing properly - I think I found a different method where I use the WiiU to rip Wii games and they've all worked, but again, I haven't done any for about half a year so can't remember anything off the top of my head.
Thank you for that info unfortunately I've tried injecting Pal and Ntsc isos to no avail. To be fair, my wiiu is Japanese but I don't want to try injecting the Japanese version because I can't use that version anyway.

BerserkMadness1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, I have the same issue, do You remember the ID of the Game or the site that You downloaded it from?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: