Trouble Formatting Drive to Fat32/WBFS

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sekhu, Apr 18, 2009.

Apr 18, 2009
  1. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    May be it's because of the size of the drive, or may be it's because it's the type of drive I bought isn't supported but I am having trouble formatting it to FAT32 or WBFS.

The drive is a new 320GB 7200RPM PATA drive in Master setting, enclosed in an external USB Shell. Windows wanted to initialize the drive first, which I did, and then it would only give me the option to format to NTFS. Once formatted (I did a quick format), I then had the option to format it in either NTFS again or in exFAT. I understand you need the drive to be formatted into FAT32 before it's formatted in WBFS.

Initially I plugged the drive in as new into the wii and launched backuploader 1.5 which showed four partitions and said cannot be formatted or something similar for each partitition which Iis why I plugged it into the PC to format.

Have I missed a step and what can I do to fix this issue. I'vbe updated to cios rev 10 and am using usb loader 1.5

thanks in advance

2. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    from the NTFS drop menu click on exFAT and another drop menu under it will show up with 128kb on it go ahead and click the arrow and change it to 32kb then tick the quick format box and click start , when done you will be at FAT32 format and you can go ahead and use WBFS to format it to WBFS format [​IMG] good luck

3. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    thanks for replying big moe - I used the gui usb game installer thingy to format the drive, and it works now. BUt I'll rem the exfat thing for next time I run in to such trouble.
    #
    Cheers

4. noboundaries

Newcomer noboundaries Newbie

Sweden
    i have the same problem and that didnt work. The WBFS manager still doesnt recognize it.

5. alexh

Newcomer alexh Member

United Kingdom
    AFAIK the WBFS partition has to be the first on the drive (dunno why) and the FAT32 partition must be marked as ACTIVE.