Trouble dumping Wii games to vWii and playing them

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Advrk, May 11, 2017.

1. Advrk
    OP

Advrk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    United States
    Hello,

I'm almost completely new to homebrewing/hacking the Wii U and this is my first post so please excuse my ignorance!

Anyway, I recently followed the instructions at wiiu.guide to set up Haxchi custom firmware (CFW) on my new Wii U and it works fine. Next, I closely followed wiiu.guide's vWii Modding Guide to set up my virtual Wii (vWii) with the Homebrew Channel.

I was able to set up WiiFlow 4.2.1 on my FAT32 SD card. However, when I tried to use it to dump my Wii games (such as New Super Mario Bros Wii) to the SD card, WiiFlow freezes just as the progress bar appears.

So as an alternative, I discovered CleanRip which I used to dump my Wii game to the SD card as multipart ISO files. This time, WiiFlow detected the game on my SD card, but when I try to start the game I see the WiiFlow "splash screen" for a couple seconds then it reboots back into the vWii system menu without starting the game.

Next, I tried to use Configurable USB Loader, which was also able to easily dump my Wii game to the SD card, this time in WBFS format. Unfortunately, starting the game still doesn't work. But this time at least there's an error message:

https://imgur.com/a/rVWzP

Now I am stumped. What does the error message mean? Does it have anything to do with the settings instructed by wiiu.guide's vWii Modding Guide? I tried to get help on WiiUHacks on Reddit here where someone else was apparently able to succeed.

What can I try? Thank you in advance.

2. rebelsst

rebelsst Newbie

Newcomer
    May 2, 2017
    United States
    Since you want to run Wii games from your SD card you need to use the d2x-v10-beta52-vWii cIOS (for all 3) instead of d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii like that guide suggests.

3. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    I know some loaders have issues with SDHC cards formatted to FAT/32.

4. Advrk
    OP

Advrk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for this tip!
    To do this, can I simply repeat Section IV in the vWii Modding Guide but replace all instances of d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii with d2x-v10-beta52-vWii? Just want to be sure since I'm so new to this!

5. Advrk
    OP

Advrk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    United States
    OK, I tried to repeat Section IV in the vWii Modding Guide but replace all instances of d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii with d2x-v10-beta52-vWii and it worked!!
    What's the difference? Anyway thank you for your help!

6. RunFwrd

RunFwrd Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    hey i need some serious help here. i just bought an HDD for myself for my birthday so i could finally play isos on my WiiFlow. I got all my roms for the older systems working with covers n everything, source menu, etc on my sd card. So now trying to use this HDD is a whole new world to me. I converted the Wii ISOs i have into WBFS format using Wii Backup Manager and put them in the WBFS folder in the root of my HDD. When i start my WiiFlow it sees those games. However when i try to load them my screen goes black and boots me back to the vWii menu. Same thing goes for when i try to dump a Wii disc using Wiiflow. The game will not install and screen goes black and boots back to vWii screen. Ive read ALOT online n cant seem to figure this out. please help me! my HDD is converted to FAT32 with 32kb cluster size. I have Homebrew installed (obviously) with IOS236 Installer, MMM and d2x cIOS Installer. i also used Blue Dump to get the 4 different WAD files that i read i would need and rooted them to my sd card. I am running WiiFlow 4.2.1 WHAT IS THE PROBLEM HERE?? i can provide whatever other info needed just please help me. Im laying on my floor sad because im so overwhelmed w this. THNX.

7. RunFwrd

RunFwrd Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    sorry im a newbie on this site. didnt want to start a new thread. thought this would be the way to go. can somebody please help me. i want to get my wii and gamecube games working very badly and any guide im reading online is not helping.

8. RunFwrd

RunFwrd Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    wow i got it to work using the patched IOS80 installer. i assume im going to need more help in the near future. if i do i suposse ill just start a new thread. this site is very respectable so i hope to receive cooperation when the time comes. thanks for reading.