Trouble converting from Mocha/Rednand to HaxchiCFW

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by RupeThereItIs, May 25, 2019.

1. RupeThereItIs
    OP

RupeThereItIs Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    I hacked my WiiU a while back, during that brief window when it seemed like a good idea to use rednand. I'm now trying to convert to sysnand, but having some troubles.

I'd like to have the ability to use Nintendont via vwii injected VC games, as well as some vwii VC games themselves & this doesn't work under rednand.

My USB drive is still linked, so games still show up in both sysnand & rednand.

I was under the impression I could simply reinstall the latest version of haxchi (the none cold boot variety) and that it now includes sig patches if I launch sysnand with it.

I tried that, I see in the system settings that I'm in HaxchiCFW with version 99.99.99u, however I get an error when attempting to launch any of the games from my USB drive. I installed these games using wup installer y mod, they work fine under mocha/rednand but when I launch them from HaxchiCFW/Sysnand I get the error "The Nintendo Network ID used to purchase the software has been deleted."... making me think the sig patches aren't active.

I have a feeling I'm doing some trivial thing wrong, but have no idea what that might be.

2. BaamAlex

BaamAlex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    That means you have Coldboot Haxchi.

Can you post a Screenshot? Otherwise uninstall all stuff (haxchi and maybe cbhc) and start again. Haxchi needs an exploitable ds vc game.

3. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

The USB keys work badly with the Wii U, prefer an external hard drive for better compatibility and if you could have a Y cable with your hard drive, it would not hurt.

With Haxchi, I think it's the best solution.

4. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    What do you mean with that?

5. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

@ BaamAlex

Some USB keys work badly with the Wii U, or they often give a black screen or do not work.
    I myself have had experience with USB keys. So now I use an external hard drive, and it works properly. And even on the site, it is often said to play with a hard drive

6. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    Ahh...i googled it. You mean an usb stick. They work fine.

7. RupeThereItIs
    OP

RupeThereItIs Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    No, I do NOT have Coldboot Haxchi: I know this because A) I've intentionally avoided Coldboot as I find the solution a bit too risky for for the value (it's not hard to launch haxchi on each boot) & B) the version upon initial boot from settings is 5.5.1 U.

I'm not allowed to post a screenshot it seems as my account doesn't have enough posts.

it's over at: imgur dot com slash VOAUH4m

I don't know where you got the idea I'm using a thumb drive, but I'm not. Any time I say "USB Drive" read it as "USB attached 2.5 inch round brown spinning powered via a Y cable". Thanks for the reply but it's very much a red herring.

The issue is that the signature patches seem to not be functioning when I launch sysnand from haxchi, not anything to do w/the drive I'm loading the games on. They work flawlessly when launched from my Mocha rednand that is still linked to my sysnand.

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    possibly a ticket issue. redNAND uses its own set, so once you clone the sysNAND, you must install games on both to inject tickets on both.

edit: cloning the sysNAND copies over the existing tickets, so future ones won't be copied. I'm not sure if being symlinked makes a difference.

Last edited by godreborn, May 25, 2019
  9. RupeThereItIs
    OP

RupeThereItIs Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Hmm, ok, THIS makes sense to me thanks.

What your saying is that the internal 'key store' is copied in the creation of rednand, all new installs 'key store' lives only inside the rednand?

The idea is, if I reinstall a title without loading mocha first then it should work? The thing is, i'm pretty sure I've installed several of these titles without first launching mocha... i.e. boot, launch haxchi -> homebrew menu -> wup installer Y mod -> install.... then It worked under mocha/rednand.

I'll give it a go, trying to reinstall an app w/out first launching Mocha, but I think maybe I'm still missing something.

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    tickets are stored in the slc partition of the NAND. redNAND clones sysNAND in its current state, so new tickets must be installed on both if you use both. even with haxchi, tickets must be installed. I believe the tickets aid in decrypting the content. games may appear on both due to the games being on a usb drive, which remains the same on both NANDs. the wii u seems to use some sort of indexer which is modified during game installation. the ps3 uses one as well to expedite loading of content. the 360 doesn't use one, so it can take 2+ minutes to load the hdd content in system settings if using a 1TB hdd. I don't know where the indexer is stored on the wii u, but modifying it manually might lead to corruption. the vita's indexer points to the icon location, main executable, game credentials (i.e. app version), game names, etc. it's very easy to modify. those system don't need to load the entire game to boot.

11. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    It will not work without disabled signature patches. This is what haxchi or mocha does.

12. RupeThereItIs
    OP

RupeThereItIs Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States

Thank you for all the info, I enjoy learning how this all works underneath.

My memory must have been faulty regarding when I installed originally. If I go straight into the homebrew launcher & try to install, without either launching mocha or sysnand, wup installer bitches that the sig patches aren't active.

I had to delete the game, launch sysnand with haxchi & then reinstall & now it launches.

Far more work then I'd hoped to move back to sysnand, but in the end I think it will be worth it.

Now, if only there was a good/safe way to move a user that only exists on rednand back to sysnand.

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you may be able to copy and paste tickets from redNAND to sysNAND (not sure). tickets go here:
    storage_slc/rights/tickets/apps

I think fake tickets have the user information removed. I don't know if all fake tickets are this way or only with certain apps, but the header is the same. tickets from games seem to go through some sort of algorithm before being installed on the system. several tickets can be stored in one .tik in the ticket bucket in that location above. the title id is in each one, but it's easier to manage by using tik2sd otherwise you'd be guessing. I'm not sure if the correct location for where the ticket is to be stored is in the .tik or if it must be decrypted first. I was never able to find it, but that's only by looking at it in hex. removing a ticket is easy. they're either 696 or 848 bytes iirc, and I think it might depend on if it's a digital ticket or a retail one. dlc and updates have separate tickets each being one of those sizes as well. I've never tried adding a ticket. I don't know what would happen if you did. there seems to be no logic to how tickets are stored. iirc, breath of the wild's ticket and the ticket for crunch roll are in the same file.

14. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    Or remove rednand if you can

15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    dumps made by the old NAND dumper create incomplete dumps for redNAND, so it can be unstable to the point of no longer booting. I've not encountered any problems, but I also haven't booted into redNAND for a very long time. the only real good with redNAND is to mess with system files without risk of bricking. unfortunately, the wii u doesn't have enough safe guards in it to repair system software damage on regular NAND. you can dump redNAND on to the pc, and decrypt the slc with the otp. you can also do this for the virtual Wii partition. however, internal storage (the mlc partition where games are stored), last time I tried, couldn't be decrypted even with the otp.