MaximusX800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am a 4.2.0-9 user and I updated my Gateway to Ultra 3.0, EMUNAND to 9.4, and allowed my Red Card to be updated. Now my 3DS seems to be having a problem with booting newer ROMs. Please note, I have attempted this on EMUNAND 9.2 as well, before updating it.

Currently ROMs for Monster Hunter 4 (JPN), Monster Hunter 4G (JPN), and Super Smash Bros. (U) boot to a blackscreen. Older ROMs, seem to work just fine IE: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Zelda OoT, and Bravely Default.

Please note I have installed the patches for Smash Bros. (U) (v1.4) and imported CIA patches for MH4 and MH4G, so v1.1 and v1.2 respectively. These worked on Gateway v2.6.

I tried to remove the patch for MH4, but resulted in the same blackscreen.
I tried to downgrade Gateway to v2.7, however it can no longer detect my Red Card.

Removed and reinstalled exploit didn't help.

I will be reporting this to the Gateway Team.
FYI or any help would be greatly appreciated.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, can you run a diagnostics test in the Gateway menu and share your results? I think I might have a similar problem to you, because everything but SPI works for me.

tjexp

Happy New Year!
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try mine, I have a XL on 4.5. Will update post

Edit: Smash Bros was giving me a fragmentation error so I removed it from my Micro SD and placed it back. It's working fine now for me, just a 10second black screen as normal

Venseer

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SSB booted here, took some time. 1.0.4 non-cia 3dz rom.
Check for corruption/framentation on microsd and sd

Edit: SPITest failed here too, for comparasion
Never failed before thought.

MaximusX800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, can you run a diagnostics test in the Gateway menu and share your results? I think I might have a similar problem to you, because everything but SPI works for me.

FPGA TEST = OK!
SPI TEST = FAIL
SPI READ TEST = OK!
SD TEST = EXFAT

I have never done a diagnostic test until now on my Gateway. What exactly does this SPI Test FAIL mean? Is it all related to the MicroSD?

I have a secondary 9.0(U) 3DS that I am going to setup for Gateway Ultra 3.0 with a secondary MicroSD. I will report back the results shortly.

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FPGA TEST = OK!
SPI TEST = FAIL
SPI READ TEST = OK!
SD TEST = EXFAT

I have never done a diagnostic test until now on my Gateway. What exactly does this SPI Test FAIL mean? Is it all related to the MicroSD?

I have a secondary 9.0(U) 3DS that I am going to setup for Gateway Ultra 3.0 with a secondary MicroSD. I will report back the results shortly.

Ultra 3.0 update broke the SPI test for (almost?) everyone. It's still working, it just reports fail.

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FPGA TEST = OK!
SPI TEST = FAIL
SPI READ TEST = OK!
SD TEST = EXFAT

exFAT is Microsoft specific, like NTFS. It's not particularly universal, and I would reformat for FAT32 to be safe.

Venseer

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This will sound really dumb, but is your Gatewaynand SD card having enough space for those games?
If I remember, they need roughly 1.6GBs free to boot.

Destinykid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on gateway 3.0, 9.4 emunand on 4.4 xl. Super smash worked fine. SPI fail, but this is a bug on the 3.0 firmware.

OP, try putting 2.7 launcher in sd and when booting from nintendo ds profile, hold r to update the red card to the 2.7 update.

MaximusX800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64GB MicroSD card that has been working fine for about 6 months now. I am trying a secondary MicroSD card with one ROM atm. If that failes I will attempt a v2.7 downgrade and forcing the fpga update. Never did install v2.7, was only using v2.6 before updating to 3.0.

I will report back shortly, thank you all for quick responses!

Edit: My MicroSD has about 20GB of free space.

diffikolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64GB MicroSD card that has been working fine for about 6 months now. I am trying a secondary MicroSD card with one ROM atm. If that failes I will attempt a v2.7 downgrade and forcing the fpga update. Never did install v2.7, was only using v2.6 before updating to 3.0.

I will report back shortly, thank you all for quick responses!

Edit: My MicroSD has about 20GB of free space.

That's not the SD card he means. He means the one inserted into your 3ds. It has to have free space available, and has to be at least a 4gb card.

MaximusX800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not the SD card he means. He means the one inserted into your 3ds. It has to have free space available, and has to be at least a 4gb card.

Thank you for clarifying. My internal/big SD card is a 4GB card. Pretty sure it has a decent amount of free space left, no CIA games installed. I think it has 19K free blocks, I'll get actual size in a few moments.

Update: Downgraded to v2.7 again and was able to force fpga update. 3DS is now detecting my Red Card again. Still attempting to load ROMs in question.

ROMs are still not booting under v2.7

Still getting blackscreen.

Recommend full SD/MicroSD format. Re-create EMUNAND?

Anyway to update to EMUNAND only to 9.0 - 9.2? Pretty sure no

MaximusX800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried to place one of the ROMs I am having problems with on my secondary 8GB microsd. Same result.

I just setup my 9.0 U 3DS with Ultra 3.0. My 64GB SD card is loading MH4G. Will continue to test and report back.

Suspect issue with internal/large SD?

Smash working on 9.0 3DS

MaximusX800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using exFAT since support release, no issues.

4GB internal SD has over 2GB of free space. This is the card that came with the XL.

I am going to test with a secondary internal/big SD and report back. I had already done a EMUNAND format on this card previously, don't remember what version is on it.

Problem solved!

Changed internal/big SD, all ROMs are now working correctly.

Note: Oh noes, I lost my 1 Smash Trophie :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 5700X for $160 mmm