Triple Triad DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by CPhantom, May 22, 2008.

May 22, 2008

Triple Triad DS? by CPhantom at 2:41 AM (2,464 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. CPhantom
    OP

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    So, I may have some friends interested in making a Triple Triad homebrew for the DS. If anyone doesn't know, Triple Triad is the mini-game card game from Final Fantasy 8. It was more of an "Advanced Tic-Tac-Toe". Look it up and you'll see what I mean.

Anywho, we might be starting this as a summer project, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in this? We'd make some AI to play against in sort of a "Story Mode" (to earn yourself better cards possibly), and a local DS to DS play if possible. Of course, as I said, this is a summer project. So I do not have pictures at the time. I'm just curious if anyone was interested in the development of something like this :]

2. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Cool, I loved Triple Triad. Add in WiFi support as well. [​IMG] AT any rate, I hope it all turns out well and I for one look forward to this game.

3. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Glad to see a reply so soon :]

I do have one question though, as this will be our first project.

Can this use C#, or must it be C++? Either way it doesn't matter, as my friends are pretty fluent in both. I myself am, for the most part, the guy who gets all the graphics spiffy and nice. Haha.

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Well your best bet is using DevKitPro, they have a package called DevKitARM for the Nintendo DS. They have libraries for accessing WiFi in the DS, the Filesystem and among other things.
    http://www.devkitpro.org/category/devkitarm/

I believe its written in C++

Edit:
    Oh and theres someone even working on a Tetra Master game as well for the DS
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77903

5. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    I would love to see a Triple Triad DS. It was an awesome card game in FF8, and Tetra Master has already been made for DS. What's next, a blitzball game for the DS?

6. DarkSoulFlame

Newcomer DarkSoulFlame Advanced Member

United States
    Triple Triad was awesome! I played it on my PS1. Also, there is a homebrew version of it on the PSP with online. It was cool.

7. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Alrighty, we've started on the basics so far now...by that I mean on paper writing on what we should do.

Our ideas were not set in stone, but we'll get you guys something over the summer :]

for now we are going to be working on what the layout should be and the starting of writing the game itself. Don't expect something right off the bat, but we'll try to do a basic demo or something by early summer.

if anyone is interested in helping or something (Specifically with the wi-fi multiplayer, or somewhere we can get the Wifi through), then plese let me know what you can do! ^^

8. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Thank you,It has always been my dream to get a triple triad DS game...

Im hopeless at coding and such,but ill try and get some card pictures(if you know what I mean)

Not sure if its any help though.

9. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    actually, I can get both the red and blue cards from another site :] thanks for your wanting to help though ^^

All 110 cards from FFVIII will be included. We've been writing stuff like crazy to get this started.

Hopefully adding / wanting to add:

+Story Mode / Single Player Mode

-Starter Packs (get 15 starting cards, these will be low level but will manage to take on the AI battles)
    -Battle AI players to gain (or lose) cards
    -World to walk around in (though, nothing big)
    -Fun story to go with.

+Multiplayer mode

-WiFi or LAN battles
    -Voice chat (If we learn how)

+Misc.

-Card Shop (Win battles to earn yourself points and be able to buy nice cards from the shops)
    -Card viewer (look at the list of cards available in the game)
    -Multiple Rules for battle (Though, for now, we are deciding to just stick with no rules, that way we don't have to worry about things like elements giving that +1/-1 crap)

I'm really hoping we get somewhere with this. The work is gonna be long, but I think it will be worth it in the end. So far though, we only have like 3 people in on this, so It'll be pretty hard for the time being.

10. Maute

Newcomer Maute Newbie

United States
    That would be pretty cool.

11. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Well, so far we have paper writing for code and setup, also we have all 220 (110 in both Red and Blue) cards with their numbers.

I'm trying to come up with a nice looking main screen. I'm not sure through. If anyone would like to help with that, make something nice looking, then that'd be great :]

Also, I don't think that the stylus will be used at all, it doesn't seem to necessary. I'm thinking Cards and scores on the bottom screen and board on the top. What do you think? Really, this game would only need the D-pad and the A,B,X,Y keys.

12. pilotwangs

United Kingdom
    Yeah,cards on botton,board on top sounds good.

I take it that WiFi battles will be like TTAdvance,with a refresh button right?

Anyway,good luck and remember to use Dev forums for help(like with the menu).

13. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Actually, I would like the battles to be played without a refresh button, TTAdvanced is great, but the refresh button was zetta lame.

I want you to be able to see the move, and as soon as it is made, switch over to your turn. Just like in FFVIII.

I have a nice image of the game in my head, seeing the cards fly up from the botton screen and landing on the board or something. I don't want it to be choppy like TTA

14. pilotwangs

United Kingdom
    Hah,sounds awesome.

Looking forward to this.

15. OutofRhythm131

Newcomer OutofRhythm131 Newbie

United States
    I would absolutely be interested in this. Triple Triad rocked.

16. Sumiregawa-kun

Newcomer Sumiregawa-kun Member

United States
    Hey! I love this idea. I mentioned this back a bit ago in the TetraMaster thread...

I think that the AI and such would be a bit hard to write as a starter, and that you should probably stick to getting the basic board down to start with, then worry about splitting it off into 'play mode' (w/ wifi) or 'story mode' as an option later. If you've not played DarkWind Online ( http://tripletriadextreme.com ) I think you should. (lol for anyone who cares to reference me, my nick there is Shadowblight XD).

Anyhow, I'm of the opinion that the stylus would be actually a GREAT implementation, and shouldn't be too hard, frankly. I like the top screen being the board, and it sliding up. The bottom will have your own cards as well as your opponents -- open or closed would definitely be apparent from there.

When you make up the stylus info, it should be a simple matter of 'coordinates x,y to y,z' = picking a card. Those interested in changing the card they've got selected without the stylus can use the L or R buttons. To chose your place for the card to land, you'll have a cursor highlighting the square you've currently got selected up top on the board, and you can then move it with the D-pad (I suggest that this highlighting cursor be omni-present on the board, unless it isn't your turn), and this would be whether you're using the stylus or the buttons. And then when you're ready to place the card, that a motion upwards with the stylus (or just pushing A again, I guess) will place it.

I'm picturing the center being the area where the card you've selected from your hand is displayed (possibly larger to make sure you know the numbers). And of course you can always re-pick until you've actually placed it.

I wouldn't be much help coding, but if you need someone to Photoshop to make spiffy boards, or card decos or effects, to bounce legistics off of, or what-have-you... I'm your girl. [​IMG]