Trimming Roms for DS-X?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by FuLei, Jan 3, 2007.

Jan 3, 2007

Trimming Roms for DS-X? by FuLei at 1:45 AM (1,234 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. FuLei
    OP

Member FuLei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey there. To be truthful, the only flash card I own is the DS-X, and I don't know too much about trimming, but I do know that trimming is a way of getting rid of unnecessary space that is not being occupied by any files. This makes sense because there are no roms that are in between 64 MB and 128 MB and therefore a game that is actually 72 MB would have 56 MB of unoccupied space. I'm pretty sure that trimming takes away those 56 MB, significantly decreasing the size of the game. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I inferred from being told that trimming gets rid of unnecessary space. So anyways, because the DS-X is only 512 MB, it would be awesome if you could trim the roms. Is this possible? Am I right about what trimming is?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yes. There is a tool floating around the DS-X forums, and the R4 card also has a trimming utility. Either should work fine.

R4 rom trimmer.
    DS-X Manager for Windows v0.2.5.2

3. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    offline list has the ability to rename roms as well as trim them for those of you with complete sets.

4. Nekki

Newcomer Nekki Newbie

what about that? Is an application or what?

5. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://offlinelist.free.fr/

it's an application. and its great for rom management. be sure to download the nds releases .dat file from

http://www.advanscene.com/

once u have offline list setup it has a simple interface that tells u which roms are verified, missing, incorrectly named, or have incorrect compression. the program will also check for updates every time you start offline list, and adds the new roms to the list for ya. and if u choose to do so in the options it will also download a frew jpegs for each file giving a screenshot of the ingame and box for each rom. and as i said earlier you can rename roms to include the title, company, save type, language, rom number etc.

6. Nekki

Newcomer Nekki Newbie

The application is awesome, incredible. Just the one that i'm looking for. Thanks for the post. In that moment i'm donwloading the GBA and NDS dat (and PNGs [​IMG] ).

A quick question, you know about the place/website/wherever where to obtain the .dat for SNES, Genesis, Master System, Mame, as advanscene? I mean, dat for SNES that includes PNGs as well?

thank.

Nekki

7. FuLei
    OP

United States
    Okay, so about the R4 DS Trimmer. Does it work perfectly for DS-X, taking .nds roms and trimming them while not changing the file format in any way? Only asking because DS-X Trimming Software is still in the making. I noticed that the name was changed in the link that was given me from the untrimmed rom to the trimmed rom. Is this just so that you know, and then you change it back to whatever the original name was?

8. Destructobot

United States
    Assuming you mean the R4 trimmer, You have to have a different name for the trimmed file unless you want to overwrite the untrimmed file.

9. FuLei
    OP

United States
    Sweet, so basically to keep my saved games though, id have to change the name to something like "originalgamenametrm.sav" instead of "originalgamename.sav" and it would work fine? Also, any trimmers for Macs?

10. Destructobot

United States
    The saves don't care if the rom is trimmed or not as long as the filename matches.

11. FuLei
    OP

United States
    Thanks Destructo.