Trimmed roms

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by greenslumber, Jun 29, 2007.

1. greenslumber
    OP

greenslumber Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2007
    UK
    When roms are trimmed I hear that sometimes it takes too much off or it messes up the wifi/download play.
    Is there any way to avoid this when trimming?
    Or
    Could anyone provide a list of roms that do mess up when trimmed so i know which to avoid.

Thanks everyone, im sorry if this topic is noobish. [​IMG]

2. superrob

superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Apr 4, 2007
    GBATemp factory.
    Trimmed roms are roms where unused bytes are cut away to lower the file size.

3. Evilkoko

Evilkoko GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2007
    United States
    I'd recommend rominator if you like trimming your roms. Trimmed over hundreds of roms with it and haven't had a single problem with any of my roms. I'm not sure if rominator only works for R4DS.

4. greenslumber
    OP

greenslumber Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2007
    UK
    yeh i know, but i have heard with some roms it actually takes too much or somethin, im no techie so IDK.
    could anyone elaborate and clarify please?

5. mr_blonde_88

mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

Jul 18, 2006
    Bristol (UK)
    Instead of Rominator, use DSClippers, made by the same person, but it's just a trimmer, not a ROM collector, sorter thing

Well, aparantly, some games use that unsed data for saving WiFi info, Mario Vs DK 2 is one of them.
    If you use DSClippers, there's an option to 'Safe Trim' which leaves a certain amount of empty space at the end, just in case

6. chicken64

chicken64 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2006
    United States
    I trimmed Mario vs DK2 using the M3/R4 DS trimmer and I've received levels from my friend, receiving levels from Wi-Fi go to the same slots don't they? (just had a quick look).

I've trimmed all the games, and all work with Wi-Fi and multi-card download play. Bomberman works from an unflashed DS downloading from the trimmed game on another DS too.

7. mr_blonde_88

mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

Jul 18, 2006
    Bristol (UK)
    TBH, i dont know if it makes any difference or not
    I dunno if anything i said is actually true

But better safe than sorry, hey?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice