Tried to upgrade SD card but didn't realise I couldn't just copy files straight over

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by uhohhiyo, Jan 4, 2017.

1. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    Hi,

I am pretty much an idiot. I upgraded my sd card from 8gb to 16gb in the past before I had cfw on my 3ds, and all I had to do was copy my files straight from card to card on my computer, so I assumed for some reason that it would work the same way for cfw...

I realised I made a huge mistake when towards the end of the data transfer windows had a problem saying that files could not be written to the new card because they were corrupted. I also super messed up as well by using "cut" instead of "copy" on the files from my original sd card so it is blank now. All the files from the original sd card are on my computer but I can't fully write them onto a new card as towards the end of the process (90% of the way through) there are a few files that are apparently corrupted and won't copy. These files are from the "Nintendo 3ds" folder, but I'm not sure exactly which files are causing the issue.

Now being the idiot I am, I thought that since everything except the "Nintendo 3DS" folder is intact, I should just delete the Nintendo 3DS folder and the system would just create a new one right? Bad idea apparently, because now I can't install cia files at all. I keep getting this error whenever I try and install any games

Failed to install CIA File.
    Result Code: 0xD9004586
    Level: Permanent (27)
    Summary: Wrong Argument (8)
    Module: FS (17)
    Desc: <unknown> (390)

I appear to still have luma/hourglass9 etc in working order and I can install the cias for the luma updater, homebrew channel, CIAngel and FBI, but no games will install. CIAngel is unable to install any games either.

I'm a real noob at thie 3ds cfw stuff, but from what I gather there may be something called emuNAND that I'm probably missing on my new sd card? I'm not exactly sure what the reason is that you can't just copy files from one sd card to another. Am I screwed, or is there a way to fix this?

I have no idea what I can do to fix my 3ds :( Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Last edited by uhohhiyo, Jan 4, 2017

2. rikumax25!

rikumax25! Keyblade Wielder

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Do you have a9lh?

3. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    I think so. The a9lh folder is on the SD card with the otp.bin if that matters.

4. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Did you finish 3ds.guide?

5. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    yeah I finished 3ds.guide and had installed a bunch of games with everything working perfectly.

Then I got greedy and wanted to upgrade my sd card from 16gb to 32gb, and that's where my problems began.

6. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Insert your old sd and see if the games are still there

7. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    I can't because

"I also super messed up as well by using "cut" instead of "copy" on the files from my original sd card so it is blank now."

Pretty much everything is working fine except that I can't install cias :(

Last edited by uhohhiyo, Jan 4, 2017
  8. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Format the new card and try installing the hbl cia

9. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    System Formatting the console could help. I know it worked once for me.

I think it's a strange bug, not an issue with changing cards. Since it's happened only once to me, and I've changed cards more than three times.

10. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    ok I reformatted the card again and it's the same as before. I can install hbl, FBI, luma, CIAngel from the health&safety version of FBI, but i can't install any games.

I get the same error as before,

Failed to install CIA File.
    Result Code: 0xD9004586
    Level: Permanent (27)
    Summary: Wrong Argument (8)
    Module: FS (17)
    Desc: <unknown> (390)

CIAngel also appears unable to install any games.

11. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica

12. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    i tried system format twice before I made this thread and it didn't seem to work at all. I've also tried restoring from my backup NAND.bin that was created when using the 3ds.guide several times, but that didnt work either :(

perhaps I should try system format again? This is really frustrating but it's all my own fault.

PS. thanks so much for trying to help, I really appreciate it!

Olmectron likes this.
  13. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    That's really strange.

You could try reading the FBI thread and see if someone else faced a similar issue. Sorry.

14. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Wait, did you use the Sysnand Restore (keep a9lh)

15. Amapola62

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Maybe you need to repair the databases. Try to go on system settings, data management, nintendo3ds and softwares.

Quantumcat likes this.
  16. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    Yeah I used sysnand restore. Could that have messed things up more?

the software menu appears to be fine when I navigate there through system settings :(

17. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Which backup did you restore?

18. uhohhiyo
    OP

uhohhiyo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    I was following the 3ds.guide when I initially installed cfw.

The nand backup was made just before downgrading to 2.1. The backup takes me back to 9.2 firmware, then I've been upgrading back to current in system settings.

19. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    test the sd card with h2w

20. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    Amapola62 is most likely correct do what he said then go into the eshop then try to install a cia