Homebrew Tried to install Boot9strap on 11.10, now it is soft bricked

NinHao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont know if I can ask this here but I dont find anything new related to this topic. So a friend of mine wanted me to hack his 3dsXL since I hacked my n3ds. I followed everystep like I did with mine and also used the 3ds hacking guide website. After I completed the JPN Flipnote thing and installed Boot9strap the 3dsXL's blue light turns on and off. Every file should be the latest version and the newest system version should also work with Seedminer + Fredtool.
What did I do wrong and can I fix it?
Also uploaded a picture of what the SD card currently looks like.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 143

NinHao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, I realized the problem lies in the SD Card. Apparently you can not hack using an 64GB Card formatted to SFAT32. Still, what now. The old SD Card has the normal stuff (before hack) on it. I tried putting it in instead but it still wont turn on. Should i just paste all hacked files on it?

NinHao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes. it is also shown in the png i uploaded

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I made it! As I said, I tried using another SD Card which is not 64 GB and pasted all hacked files. I rebooted the 3ds and now it launches to luma. Still thanks to everyone and I hope this thread will help anyone encountering the same problem. Good Luck!

Reactions: Teletron1

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good to hear you succeeded. It happened at least once in the past – also with a 64gb SD. In this case reformatting the SD helped.

But there is no general problem in using FAT32 formatted 64gb or larger SDs (I did the complete hacking of my N3DSXL only with a 64GB card and nothing else – no problems). The well-known problem you described (blue led on, off – nothing) is B9S saying: “boot.firm not found – I’ll quit.” Even when the file is clearly present, it may happen that it is not found.

Your 3DS was obviously able to read from the 64gb card (else you could not have completed the Fredminer process) – why did it not find boot.firm? No idea. Using a different SD (different size and/or brand) – like you did – is the best approach.

Backup your data, reformat the SD with guiformat and check the empty card. If this shows no errors, put only boot.firm on it and try to boot with the SD while holding (Select). On the bottom of the lower screen it should say:

Booted from SD via B9S

If you completed the guide (finalizing setup) your 3DS will boot even without SD card because boot.firm is copied to CTRNAND as failsafe mechanism – hence holding (Select) to bring up Luma settings and make sure the file is read from the SD.

Reactions: Quantumcat

NinHao

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for these helpful advices!
After I completed installing everything on the small SD card I used guiformat to get back to the 64 GB card. Then it worked perfectly fine. I alao dont understand why it wasnt able to find the boot.firm. Gave me quite a shock and stressed me out pretty hard but at least it works now!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up