Homebrew Tried getting everything to work but just ended up confused. Just need some questions answered.

IgnoreMyName

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried soft modding but got lost. From looking at a lot of different guides to just generally rushing it to be done and play some games, I have no idea what I did. I deleted and uninstalled everything I could and down below is a list of things I did on my first try. You don't have to read it to help me, just wanted it there. Skip to TL;DR to get to the reason I am posting. The in between is just there.

1. Acquired LetterBomb from HackMii and installed it to root of a micro-sd card.
  2. Installed the Homebrew Channel and then BootMii in Boot2.
  3. Restarted the Wii and backed up the NAND and then moved both the BootMii folder and the two NAND files onto my PC.
  4. Downloaded and placed some emulators in the /apps folder FCE Ultra GX 3.1.0, Snes9x GX 4.1.2, VBA GX 2.0.8, Wii64 beta, 1.1 Nintendont
  5. Everything worked fine up to this point. Some problems with certain games such as Pokemon Stadium and Vigiliante 8 but other than that, all the emulators performed just fine.
  6. Installed Priiloader and turned off system settings like auto-updating.
  7. Then came time to get Wii games to run and USB Loader GX this is where I lost myself. I think I ran SysCheck162 and downloaded whatever IOSs I need through ModMii.
  8. Put the /wad folder ModMii gave me and put it on the directory of the same micro-SD.
  9. Used Multi-Mod Manager to install the IOSs and whatever else that I can't remember at this point.
  10. Downloaded a Brawl.wbfs file and saved it onto a Fat32 formatted USB drive to use with USB Loader GX.
  11. Ran USB Loader GX from Priiloader as I couldn't get it to load Homebrew Channel at launch.
  12. Said something about IOS 249 but ignored it because the /wad folder had a IOS for 249. It wouldn't even read/recognize the USB nor would it really do anything else at all.
Now, I have to say that I spent a lot of times looking up various things such as where to save exact thing as sometimes a guide wouldn't have the exact location and just "copy to SD car" or the like. Maybe if I had followed one single guide I'd have been OK but I was just so excited to get it all to work that it got the better of me.

So today, I came home and went about to erasing whatever I did and get some real help.

1. Formatted a micro-SD to Fat32 default allocation and copied HackMii(LetterBomb) to
  2. Loaded up the LetterBomb and uninstalled both the Homebrew Channel and BootMii.
  3. Restarted the Wii and reinstalled the Homebrew Channel and tried to do the same with BootMii but it wouldn't work. Kept getting Failed (-1).
  4. Looked up online that it was just SD card issue so I formatted everything I had since I was starting fresh. It worked.
TL;DR Right now, I have the Homebrew Channel, BootMii in Boot2, and PriiLoader installed. With all the things I downloaded, installed, and/or copied on my first attempt backed up. Even the save files from N64 and GBA games. Here is picture of my backups and all the things i downloaded for my first attempt.

Some things that prevented me from trying it again. Mostly just finding about NAND emulation and wanting to know the difference.

• If I am to try and go the same route, how can I load all apps, GC and Wii games from a 32gb USB and Nes, SNES, N64, GB/C/A from a 4gb mico-SD card?
  • How do I get the Wii to boot straight to the Homebrew Channel, never having to see the Wii System Menu unless I want to?
  • What is the point of ForwardLoader and.dol/wad files? It's to put apps on the channels section in the System Menu right? But is there any point if I boot straight to Homebrew?
  • What is NAND emulation? From my understanding it's like running Linux from a USB while having your main OS, whatever it may be still on your PC.
  • How do I go about setting it up and how does it differ from using Homebrew Channel, BootMii, PriiLoader, various emulators, installing ISOs, and all that like I've done between the micro-SD and the Wii's NAND?
  • If I do go through with it, what should I do with the Homebrew Channel, BootMii, and PriiLoader already installed? Should I uninstall all of them from the Wii? Should I restore the Nand too?
  • Can I just use a USB for everything for NAND emulation? apps, launchers, Homebrew channel, BootMii, PriiLoader, etc? Or would I still need to keep something on the Wii or SD/micro-SD?
  • Would there be any difference between using a 32gb or 64gb USB? Do I need to partition or whatever that is to either one or would they both work equally fine for simply having games or apps or for NAND emulation by quick formatting to Fat32 default allocation?
Most importantly, how do I install all the IOSs I need? When do I install them? Is d2x-cios-installer, d2x-v10-beta52, and MMM all I need? Do I need to SysCheck before or after I use d2x-cios-installer? Do I install whatever ModMii gives me before or after? I think this was the biggest confusion for me. Does it make a difference if I use ios56-5662 instead of 5661 and ios57-5919 instead of 5918 like this tutorial said?

If anyone cares to explain/help/baby me through this, I'd be very grateful. I'm sure there are others out there like me. Or not, I could just be an idiot.

IgnoreMyName

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I did use it but most likely not correctly. If I were to use it now, having install Hombrew Channel on the Wii as well as PriiLoader and BootMii into Boot2, what would happen? How could I run it on a USB, NANDemulation? Lastly, if I can just install everything to a USB and leave the Wii alone, could I keep certain apps such as Nes, Snes, N64, Nintendont and GB/C/A launchers on a micro-SD and USB Loader on the USB? What about installing all the IOSs? Will they all install to the NAND on the USB? If ModMii does create NAND emulation, how do I run it when I start the Wii? Like, not launch Homebrew that's on the Wii or go to System Menu but launch the "fake" Wii on the USB. Should I uninstall THC and BootMii from Boot2 if I stick to the USB?

I may be jumping the gun here but I just need these questions answered before I do anything. The Wii is my friend's so I want to protect it as much as possible.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use most of that stuff with my Wii, so maybe I shouldn't comment here. Too me it seems that you are trying to do too many things at the same time. I hate to change the direction of any guide you are following, and I don't feel like writing a guide here. Once you have used the hackmii installer (installed hbc and bootmii), then install priiloader. Now you are set to run some homebrew. Certian homebrew requires a cIOS, so install that next. After you get all the homebrew and backup launchers working then you can play around with autoboot and nand emulation.

A warning though, don't delete things from the nand if you don't know what you are doing, you can brick your wii. You can install something over top of what you have already installed, it will overwrite it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr