Gaming Tricks to running Win 95/ Win 98 games on Windows 10?

Wii_Shaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have downloaded some abandonware games that I want to be able to play but am having trouble playing them on my Windows 10 machine. The software installs no problem and appears to run in the taskbar but that's as far as that goes. I haven't seen a game screen even though my OS appears to be running the game in both the taskbar and the task manager.

Does anybody have experience getting their games from older OS to run on Windows 10? I know that Windows 10 has been a boon to folks trying to get legacy software to run. My machine runs most of my 32-bit software no problem but struggles when it comes to some games however.

FYI I'm looking to play the game and capture footage for YouTube. Worst case scenario is I dust off an older computer and set it up but I really would like to avoid putting a legacy machine together if I can get the software to run properly in Windows 10.

Any tricks, tips, hints or software I should look into to get my games to run properly? I am running the .exe as administrator and applying compatibility mode to no avail.
I'm open to suggestions.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It may help to know what games in particular. Some may have GoG versions that have been updated to work on modern software, in which case you should use the GoG version.

Some may also have third party patches that allow them to run on modern OS's, assuming they're moderately popular games.

Others you may be able to run in DOSbox, or in a VM running Windows 98/95.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have downloaded some abandonware games that I want to be able to play but am having trouble playing them on my Windows 10 machine. The software installs no problem and appears to run in the taskbar but that's as far as that goes. I haven't seen a game screen even though my OS appears to be running the game in both the taskbar and the task manager.

Does anybody have experience getting their games from older OS to run on Windows 10? I know that Windows 10 has been a boon to folks trying to get legacy software to run. My machine runs most of my 32-bit software no problem but struggles when it comes to some games however.

FYI I'm looking to play the game and capture footage for YouTube. Worst case scenario is I dust off an older computer and set it up but I really would like to avoid putting a legacy machine together if I can get the software to run properly in Windows 10.

Any tricks, tips, hints or software I should look into to get my games to run properly? I am running the .exe as administrator and applying compatibility mode to no avail.
I'm open to suggestions.
Tried setting compatibility mode or run as admin in the properties? In some cases 640x480 or reduced color mode might also help.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Wii_Shaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be worth looking into Virtual Machines.

I personally use VMware but Virtual Box is free.

I was hoping it wouldn't have to get to that but I'm not opposed to the idea. I'll try almost anything. Why do you prefer VMware?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, I grabbed a copy of the game and...it runs just fine for me on Windows 10 :unsure:

What are your PC specs?

EDIT:
lRnbsfp.png

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,
Reactions: Alexander1970

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I was hoping it wouldn't have to get to that but I'm not opposed to the idea. I'll try almost anything. Why do you prefer VMware?

Virtual Box has given me some issues VMware didn't e.g. graphics glitches on a Linux distro.

VMware isn't perfect, but I've found myself preferring it and worth the expense (only bought it when BF sales were on and got cashback).

I would recommend someone uses Virtual box first though since it's free.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

PCGamingWiki is a super helpful resource for these kinds of things, it has nearly every game and fixes for nearly any game to run on modern systems

my mind is blown nobody's mentioned this

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
PCGamingWiki is a super helpful resource for these kinds of things, it has nearly every game and fixes for nearly any game to run on modern systems

my mind is blown nobody's mentioned this
Because it doesn't have anything to help for this particular game.

What are your compatibility settings?
Literally just ran it as an admin, didn't need to change any other settings to get it running. I also ran it in Dxwnd, but only so I could run it in windowed mode, it ran fine without that as well.

ytcVZZx.png

Which makes me suspect there may have been an issue with your download more than anything. Redownload, see if that fixes it.

D

Deleted User

Because it doesn't have anything to help for this particular game.
like 8 times out of 10 when it doesn't have anything that means the game typically runs fine on modern systems, as you said, it runs fine for you but not him
but i also posted when i didn't have glasses on so i had no idea what game he was talking about

OP did you try just installing directx 7 or DirectPlay by chance? maybe it doesn't work because it's missing important APIs like that
or you can try this to replace whatever with openGL/vulkan http://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

Wii_Shaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like 8 times out of 10 when it doesn't have anything that means the game typically runs fine on modern systems, as you said, it runs fine for you but not him
but i also posted when i didn't have glasses on so i had no idea what game he was talking about

OP did you try just installing directx 7 or DirectPlay by chance? maybe it doesn't work because it's missing important APIs like that
or you can try this to replace whatever with openGL/vulkan http://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

Bizarre that it's not working. I've tried most everything in regards to the built-in compatibility options.

The weird thing is my machine runs Skateboard Tycoon, which came out around the same time and didn't require me to jump through any hoops but *sigh* I guess I'll keep working on it.

I just enabled Legacy Components and re-installed DirectX. Do you think I would need to install an older version?

I also downloaded the game from an alternate source. The files were identical and the problem is unchanged.

I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone :)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are a couple of options. There's dgVoodoo, which is a re-implementation of old DirectX somewhat like WineD3D. And there's BoxedWine, but that's probably more useful for much older games.

Then there's PCem, which provides low-level graphics card emulation. It requires a powerful computer to run at a decent speed, but it's the best option to run Win9x with 3D acceleration.

Virtual machines like VMware or VirtualBox will only provide you with 3D acceleration if you are running Windows XP or later inside the machine. But Windows XP might be enough to get this game running.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol