travelling and need to know which ac to buy

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by davidoff246, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010
  1. davidoff246
    OP

Newcomer davidoff246 Member

Canada
    hey, im going to europ for 2 months and im wondering how or where i can buy a charger compatible with my ds

2. wayne1482

Newcomer wayne1482 Newbie

United Kingdom
    just get a travel adapter and use the 1 you have

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Where exactly in Europe? There are several different plug designs but luckily most EU voltages are 220-240V so a UK charger (or any other EU charger) and a travel adapter should do.
    The problem going from Canada to the EU is the voltage step up, I don't think normal travel adapters include transformers to step down the voltage. If you're taking your Laptop it might be an idea to get a USB charge cable

Also, there have been a few of these threads about lately...what on earth is going on?

4. davidoff246
    OP

Newcomer davidoff246 Member

Canada
    everyones travelling hah, alright that would work the usb charger thing but then i need to get a travel adapter for my laptop correct? i have a dell inspiron think i can get an adapter for that somewhere?

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Take a look at your charger's input values before you go buying any adapters. If it says "Input: 100v-200V ~ (x)A 50/60Hz" then all you need is an adapter to change the connectors on your plug. If it only says it takes 110V then you'll need a transformer.

6. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Or... buy a USB charger cable before you leave and a mains-USB transformer when you land (or a DS charger, whichever is the most available - I'll guess the USB one would be)

7. Stuntbum

Newcomer Stuntbum Member

United Kingdom
    Your laptop is more than likely dual voltage so you'll just need an adapter to plug it into the wall and then just use a usb charger if you have it.just dont plug your regular power cord for your ds straight into the wall, you'll need a european charger for that (220). I'm here right now using a 110v dsi xl but to charge it i have to plug it into a transformer to step it down from 220.

8. scopenoob

Newcomer scopenoob Member

United States
    If your laptop's adapter's input isn't rated for over 200V (very unlikely), then you either need a travel transformer or another laptop charger.

Which one you choose depends on the laptop charger's wattage. To find this, use this formula:
    Voltage X Amps

That'll give you the wattage. If it's under 50W, you can use most common (50W) travel transformers fine, such as ones similar to this one:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Conair+-+Trave...customerreviews
    Transformers usually come with adapters for all the different plugs, if it not, you need to find a travel adapter set.

If it's over or very close to 50W, you can look for one rated more than the however much your laptop uses. HOWEVER, make sure it can handle over 50W on the low circuit. The "high" setting is useless for charging.

Any transformer would be good for the DS though. I'd be cheaper to get a 220V charger just for the DS, but if you plan on using any electronics other than a DS, a transformer is more useful.

If all else fails, you can always find cheap chargers on eBay.

9. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I've gone overseas before. Use the "razor" plug in the hotel's bathrom to charge up the ds and pc.

10. scopenoob

Newcomer scopenoob Member

United States
    That works too, but a lot of the time you're not that lucky and you'd be out of power :/

11. kleptodathief

Newcomer kleptodathief Advanced Member

United States
    so when i was in vietnam, the usa normal dsiXL charger wud NOT work, so i thought it was blown cuz the socket there was 220v

but when i got back to canada it still works!

weird voltages there, i bought a vietnam socket dsi charger where and it worked once but then didn't work again

not sure if i should try it here in canada using an adapter i bought back home