Transmit the screen of a ds to a computer?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by titen96, Jun 19, 2011.

Jun 19, 2011
  1. titen96
    OP

Member titen96 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there a homebrew that does that?

2. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    You could always play it on an emu on the PC itself.

3. titen96
    OP

United States
    My pc is slow when i use a emulator, but i have used remotejoylite for the psp and it runs at normal speed

4. WioWao

Member WioWao GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    You have to keep in mind that the DS was not really made to be able to multitask in any way. Once a game is fired up it engulfs the DS, LOL. Not entirely, but it is quite limited what you can do. Lets look at the Win2DS homebrew. You could barely stream your PC screen to the DS (this being the main thing going on on the DS), without reducing the JPEG quality to litterally nothing [​IMG] So i think it would be safe to assume that the DS can't do it the other way around whilst running a game.

5. geenlung

geenlung Newbie

Your PC is just accepting video input for remotejoy. It's not really doing much else there.

6. titen96
    OP

United States
    Wha about the DSTWO will the extra cpu Help out?

7. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    Right now the DSTWO cant do that.

8. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    You could always try rigging something up and end up with something similar to this:

[youtube]qAI7RRbIn5E[/youtube]
    [youtube]JWGWso_0z3M[/youtube]
    [youtube]jRmHophHvJs[/youtube]

Who knows, maybe someday that Youtube user will reveal how they made all of that.

9. huiminghao

Member huiminghao GBAtemp Regular

China
    I dont think it is possible to transmit the graphic by a software when another DS game is running on DS.
    DS does NOT have a memory area that holds the realtime graphic of DS. So a HomeBrew will have no way to do that.
    The DS & other displays should be connected though hardware.

10. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    And streaming gba footage with a ds would also be a no-go. The ds clears all RAM when booting up a gba game and it actually needs the RAM that is on the cartridge to play a game, thus streaming it to your computer would be impossible.

Only if you take your ds apart and modify and hooking something up like the videos in Sora de eclaune's post you can get similar results, but your ds will end up looking like this:
    [​IMG]

11. Daser Fades

Newcomer Daser Fades Newbie

United States
    Wouldn't it just be something similar to the way you record your gameplay onto your PC with a capture card? The only difference would be that instead of saving it, it would just display it.
    My DS upper screen is messed up, and I wanted to see what was going on without having to hold it in a certain position just to have a small red tint instead of the blinky white screen that I get if I stray the tiniest bit off from that position. I tried to find solutions to this, but all I could find was connecting it to a TV (and using a remote control instead of a DS to play, not what I want), and some stuff that looked like they were trying to convert their PC into a DS, and who knows what else. Why is such a simple seeming problem impossible to solve? (Well, at least it's impossible to solve it by looking it up on the internet...)
    I can't remember how many times I've had to sign up for stuff to solve simple problems, and still getting no solution.

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The issue is getting the video out of the DS in the first place.

13. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    there is this for original DS. there is also this for original 3ds.

14. Randamin

Member Randamin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the price for the original DS capture hardware is actually quite reasonable compared to the one for the 3DS. Sure beats the cost and effort to track down the Nitro emulator too.

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    It's entirely possible if the loader supports such a function and right now I can't think of one that does. The way to do it is to screencap the entire LCD into RAM and from there send it somehow to the PC as if a screenshot was being made, except at, say, 20FPS (not full speed, but still playable).

Naturally this is memory-monging and there would be compatibility issues springing from lack of memory plus huge performance drops are to be expected since the DS doesn't have a whole lot of horsepower under its hood. As it stands today, it's possible... technically. It's just that nobody's done it before.

Not to look too far, the DSTwo supports screenshots as far as I remember. If there was a plugin that does those non-stop, there you have it - screen capture. That, and a good portion of the work could be performed by the DSTwo itself. That's the flashcart I'd work on if I were to make such a plugin.