ROM Hack [Translation/Port] Fire Emblem Fates Japanese Exclusive DLC

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They will be translated as Spring Scramble and Fall Scramble in order to maintain the localization spirit.
ok I'm not that into FE about localization... but I don't get it ... the events are" too japanese" that never come west, and gonna follow the localization?
so it's gonna be like they did? not translating it? XD /runs
jokes aside, nice work doing that, everyone gonna love it!

young-il-long-kiyoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... Oh.

Um, this is young-il-long-kiyoshi from fe14festivalofbonds, the site that you've been using.

... Dude, I don't know if I missed an email or something and I know anything on the internet without a copyright stuck on it is supposedly free game, but it's usually more polite to ASK if you can use somebody else's work for your own project instead of suddenly shooting a message at us out of the blue and then asking "Could you translate this part for me?" after you've already started.

You're not breaking any laws or anything, but there's still something to be said for basic courtesy.

Reactions: Silent Hell

Silent Hell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I'm sorry for the lack of updates but several things occurred in the span of several weeks being, my last semester of university, work, work, and more work, and my laptop that I use for this project's battery dying. I've also been trying to figure out my financial situation in all this mess. So I haven't abandoned the project.

... Oh.

Um, this is young-il-long-kiyoshi from fe14festivalofbonds, the site that you've been using.

... Dude, I don't know if I missed an email or something and I know anything on the internet without a copyright stuck on it is supposedly free game, but it's usually more polite to ASK if you can use somebody else's work for your own project instead of suddenly shooting a message at us out of the blue and then asking "Could you translate this part for me?" after you've already started.

You're not breaking any laws or anything, but there's still something to be said for basic courtesy.
I cannot lie, I should have asked you for permission. I was in a rut at the time and wanted a project to preoccupy myself. I was also surprised at the lack of actual work done on a translation and wanted to take the initiative. Sadly, my only experience is in hacking and not actual Japanese. And in doing so, I became giddy and was already deep in development before I ever emailed you. However, I don't think it's fair to say I shot you an email to ask you to translate something for me. The only email I sent you was asking for the differences between the three Corrin dialogues to which you told me it was tone and formality. I could never ask you to translate something for me because you guys had already done so much.

I just wanted fans to experience the full game as I detest region locked content.

I also linked the project in the initial email and you made no mention of any issues, so I wish I could have addressed that earlier.

But, you're right, that was no excuse for me to use your translations as a base without asking you. That is a failure on my part. I won't ask you to forgive me, and asking if I can continue to use your translations as a base puts us in an awkward situation. So I'll ask, would it be okay with you if I continued my work on the hack with your translations? I'm sorry, but again, I'm only trying to bring the DLC to fans who wanted to enjoy the content.

EDIT: Ah, forgive me. It was Marie who had emailed me back. So she probably didn't take notice of the whole situation.

Last edited by Silent Hell,

young-il-long-kiyoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot lie, I should have asked you for permission. I was in a rut at the time and wanted a project to preoccupy myself. I was also surprised at the lack of actual work done on a translation and wanted to take the initiative. Sadly, my only experience is in hacking and not actual Japanese. And in doing so, I became giddy and was already deep in development before I ever emailed you. However, I don't think it's fair to say I shot you an email to ask you to translate something for me. The only email I sent you was asking for the differences between the three Corrin dialogues to which you told me it was tone and formality. I could never ask you to translate something for me because you guys had already done so much.

I just wanted fans to experience the full game as I detest region locked content.

I also linked the project in the initial email and you made no mention of any issues, so I wish I could have addressed that earlier.

But, you're right, that was no excuse for me to use your translations as a base without asking you. That is a failure on my part. I won't ask you to forgive me, and asking if I can continue to use your translations as a base puts us in an awkward situation. So I'll ask, would it be okay with you if I continued my work on the hack with your translations? I'm sorry, but again, I'm only trying to bring the DLC to fans who wanted to enjoy the content.

Of course you can continue to use them. Honestly, I'm pretty thrilled by the idea that I might be able to play something that I helped translate on the 3DS. I was a being a little sensitive about it; I've had some other works plagiarized on other accounts before and the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this was "Oh no, not again."

You're right about the message you sent, which I made sound worse out of anger. I'm sorry for that. It wasn't fair to you, and I didn't know that marie had already responded to you. I apologize.

On a more lighthearted note, I do look forward to your hack. :) Although I've never downloaded one before so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work...?

Out of curiosity, are you including the English voice clips? Because matching those up seems HARD. Even the game itself didn't use their voice clips during supports...

Also, when did you talk to marie? I haven't been on tumblr for a while and she hasn't been responding to my mails. She's told me that her health is pretty poor, so I'm a bit worried...

Silent Hell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course you can continue to use them. Honestly, I'm pretty thrilled by the idea that I might be able to play something that I helped translate on the 3DS. I was a being a little sensitive about it; I've had some other works plagiarized on other accounts before and the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this was "Oh no, not again."

You're right about the message you sent, which I made sound worse out of anger. I'm sorry for that. It wasn't fair to you, and I didn't know that marie had already responded to you. I apologize.

On a more lighthearted note, I do look forward to your hack. :) Although I've never downloaded one before so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work...?

Out of curiosity, are you including the English voice clips? Because matching those up seems HARD. Even the game itself didn't use their voice clips during supports...

Also, when did you talk to marie? I haven't been on tumblr for a while and she hasn't been responding to my mails. She's told me that her health is pretty poor, so I'm a bit worried...
Thank you. And again, I deeply apologize if I made it look like I was trying to take credit for your work. I'll edit the github later to give you guys a more proper credit and a big emphasis that this would not be possible without you guys upon release.

And playing hacked DLC requires for you to have a softmodded 3DS which as of now I believe is possible on all versions. Here's the bible everyone on here uses to get started if you're interested. https://3ds.guide/

As for the English voice clips, how do you mean? Do you mean the battle music? If yes, then I won't bother with that as I'm no music editor. If you mean just regular in chapter conversations between parent and child, the Japanese script calls for the various voice clips to use when necessary. In the English version, these clips were replaced with whatever Treehouse changed them to which so far, produced no problem during editing because whatever the English team changed it to already matches with what's being said on the screen. The only instance I can think of where the voice made no sense is Asugi_Hinoka where Hinoka remarks that the candy ban is not punishment enough. For that line the voice that plays is, "Nohrian scum." So I changed it to, "As it should be." Because it made more sense. Honestly the hardest part of this work is getting the text to fit in the text box. There are some points where I need to add an extra text box that wasn't there in the Japanese version just to fit all of it. Like, two sentences that fit on one box in the Japanese version would require 2 for the English version.

As for Marie. I received the email from her on August 1st which was quite a while back so I don't know if her condition was relevant at the time. In any case, I hope she's okay, and thank you for allowing me to continue using your translations as a base.

EDIT: Oh, I think I get what you mean about the voices now. I'm not translating the DLC for the Japanese versions of the game. This DLC will be playable for the English (and possibly European) versions of the game. The screenshots I took are from the Special Edition US release of the game. So in essence I am also porting the DLC between regions which is pretty damn easy and has also allowed other hackers to create custom DLC.

Silent Hell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, sorry for the lack of work, but I've finished all of Asugi's supports. Let's start with my favorite.

yxUFeLZ.png

How touching. But nah, here's the real deals.

J0smpWr.png

NyOSA9x.png

mkl9pAr.png

oICwpWw.png

mlK4PTk.png

qVgpdIt.png

pqqHmo5.png

JKsmwFy.png

Qxe0Xnq.png

Ul6gBF2.png

h4f5E83.png

IrSUjAj.png

Cakvlxj.png

7EPaKRw.png

XItlJQT.png

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Did you post this on Serenes Forest? I'm sure it'd get A LOT of attention there.
Nice to see some progress being made :yay:

Deleted member 354686

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My reaction to this being revived:

All joking aside, I actually drafted a bunch of English conversations for the previous patch. Like yours, they're based on the Tumblr translations, but are slightly "localized". Feel free to use them wholesale and/or edit them as you please.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B47Qa8zWyvi-YmR6UVdVSWRQaHc

Reactions: Silent Hell

Samsonb79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably sounds like a stupid question for me to ask but is this just a translation patch for the japanese version? or will this be a custom dlc for the english version?

Outside of that keep up the good work

Silent Hell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably sounds like a stupid question for me to ask but is this just a translation patch for the japanese version? or will this be a custom dlc for the english version?

Outside of that keep up the good work
As KunoichiZ said, this is a DLC port to the western versions of the game. I initially only intended to create a version for the US release but then I realized that making a version for European copies wouldn't be that much more work anyway.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I've made it so that the DLC occupies its own slot. So this DLC will not replace any officially released DLC.
mG9i1AB.png

As you can see, the DLC occupies the two slots after the "Another Gift from Anna" DLC and before the "Heirs of Fate" DLC. The two slots they occupy off the top of my head are slots 54 (36 in hex) and 55 (37 in hex) respectively.
The DLC and any items obtained in the DLC like the Exalt's Brand and Fox Mask accessory get saved to the exdata as they should. So everything functions as it should without any extra hassle.

Releasing the DLC gets tricky because if you want all the other official DLC you need to rebuild all the DLC with these. There's only 6 files total that need editing for the translation ironically enough. (Spring Scramble text, Fall Scramble text, Hero's Brand, Exalt's Brand, Fox Mask, and Pumpkin Head) So I was thinking of releasing the raw txt files and then writing a detailed guide on how to dump the Japanese DLC, Dump your own version's DLC, and then rebuilding the DLC...

I'll also probably "leak" my own rebuilt versions (US, US undub, EU, EU undub) on some iso site or some shit.

Reactions: KunoichiZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1