• Start date
  • Views 25,328
  • Replies 30
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted-236924

OP
wja00.png
Pokémon Red and Green. The games that were never released outside Japan, with other countries instead getting Red and Blue versions.
However, the original Green version seems to be getting more attention than the original Red version, since the rest of the world got a Red version, but not a Green version.

Many have tried translating the original Japanese version of Green into English.
Some have done a pretty decent work, but they all were crippled by the limits of the original Green rom.

After buying a Japanese version of Green on eBay, I played through it for a while. Eventually reached the fourth badge, then decided to start over for various reasons.

I felt like this game should get a proper translation. The previous translations of Green all suffered of cut-down names for Pokémon and attacks because the original Red and Green versions had a limited amount of characters available for names.
That wasn't a problem, since five letters were more than enough for the original Japanese names.

This started out as me wanting to edit Pokémon Blue to turn it into an English Green version. I asked for help at Skeetendo, and people helped me.
After a while, more and more people became interested in the project and the one-man team evolved into a three-, four-, five-man team.
Unfortunately, I ended up doing the least work in total, but I plan to catch up on this by doing the same thing with Red, using the hacking experience earned from this to complete it alone.

This is a hack of Pokémon Blue version that is meant to re-create the original experience of Pokémon Green.
Almost everything has been changed back to what they were like in the original Green version.
For those interested in playing Green, but were put off by the language barrier or bad translation, this is for you.

Credits list:
- Chaos Rush, for editing the graphics (including Pokémon sprites);
- stag019 for his useful website with all the hex locations for sprites in the original Green version;
- Sawakita for the SGB data and the sprite-loading routine hack thingy;
- Black Phantom (I believe it was him, from romhacking.net) who changed the titlescreen to "Green version";
- Myself, for editing the intro and Cerulean Cave.

Notes: This is not a 100% accurate translation. For example, the battle interface from the English versions of Red and Blue were retained. This is because the original Japanese versions used a battle interface that wasn't wide enough to contain the full names for every attack.
Besides, this battle interface is better; Takes up less space.
Some other things weren't edited as well, but shouldn't really hinder your game experience.

List of changes:
- All 151 Pokémon have their original Red/Green sprites
- Overworld graphics and textboxes have been reverted to their original Red/Green counterparts
- The header has been modified to the original Green's, meaning that a GBC bios should detect it properly as being Pokémon Green
- The SGB frame has been changed to Japanese Green's
- Cerulean Cave now uses the layout from the original Japanese version (Which was subsequently used in FireRed and LeafGreen.)

:arrow: Download
:arrow: Original discussion thread

This is meant to be patched over a rom of filename "Pokémon - Blue Version (UE)[!].gb"
Other file names such as "Pokémon - Blue Version (U)[!].sgb" may work as well, as long as it's the [!] release of the (U) or (UE) region.

As an added bonus, I made a similar hack made to restore the original Japanese Blue version in full English.

List of changes:
- Changes the Game Corner prizes Japanese Blue version
- Changes the in-game trades to Japanese Blue version
- Changes the wild Pokemon data so that its exactly the same as Japanese Blue version

:arrow: Download

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought Green was Blue in japan, so what's the point of getting this, they're basically the same thing.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
If you take the time to do your research, you'll figure out the Japanese Green and the English Blue have differences.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow, awesome work, man! I remember posting a video about the half-assed complete translation, this trumps that by far. I will DEFINITELY be playing this!

So does this have a complete list of the changes? And what other games it this compatible with? For example, if I hack the USA Blue rom will I be able to trade with Red/Blue/other US hacked Green on real hardware or emulators?

Time to take a nostalgia trip... :D

EDIT: Never mind. I read the topic, and it seems to have cleared up most of my questions.

Did you change any of the music? like, the Lavender Town music for example?

D

Deleted-236924

OP
The Lavender Town music isn't worth changing, since the changes would only be heard by young kids.
Besides, the v1.1 of Pokémon Green had the 'changed' Lavender Town music.

Reactions: Jazhi

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You know translating green is pretty much pointless as it is, blue was also released in japan and was the improved version of green, better sprites and other fixes.
That's why the red and blue versions we played had different battle sprites, blue got the better batch.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
You know translating green is pretty much pointless as it is, blue was also released in japan and was the improved version of green, better sprites and other fixes.
That's why the red and blue versions we played had different battle sprites, blue got the better batch.
You know, if we did this hack, then it implies we already know about the history of Generation I.
You don't have to present it to us.
(Also, you may not care about this, but many people have been wanting an English version of the original Red/Green versions.)

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The reason people are interested in Pokemon Green is because of the extra glitches in it. Editing the text, sprites, and music for Blue doesn't make it Green version. It just makes it a slightly different Blue.

Reactions: 1 person

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I played a weird engrish version of green a long time ago. pretty much the only thing which set it apart was the different dialog, otherwise its practically the same game.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... this is not a Green translation, it's just a sprite swap of Blue.

I found this kind of unnecesary.... the only reason for playing Green are all the glitches and bugs that you could only found in the japanese releases. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4jBckP_mag

Also, you have differences in the Celurean Cave layout. I bet they didnt change that.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Also, you have differences in the Celurean Cave layout. I bet they didnt change that.
I did...

Besides, what did you expect from this? A different game?
The only point of this is to mimic what a Green version would've looked like if it was released in English.
If you are interested in trying out the glitches from the original Japanese versions, use this patch

This was made because Pokémon Green has lacked a proper translation for ages.
This is the closest we can get to a proper translation, since the original Green rom limits us to five characters for Pokémon names and maybe 7-8 characters for attack names.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for this patch. I would however like to see a list of all the changes made, so we all know exactly what we're getting.

Also, a small nitpick thing, when you pick the name of Ash, seems like 'Green' should have been listed as an option rather than 'Blue', to make this feel really like what an USA english version would have been like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: but nintendo licensed