translation help

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by codman1982, Jun 21, 2007.

Jun 21, 2007

translation help by codman1982 at 9:50 AM (3,300 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. codman1982
    OP

Newcomer codman1982 Newbie

Australia
    Hi all!
    I am very new to the hacking scene(2 days). I've been looking all over the net for help to find the text for a ROM through a hex editor for a GBA game. I found text for another game in english, but i have trouble finding the japanese text. I wanna translate a game from japanese to english, just the main game for now, not the story. I've been using translhextion hex editor and I need to know, how can you find japanese text? i did a relative search for some japanese words in the game but it finds nothing. Also, i made a backup and played around with it and i changed some of the writing in the game to purple squares, but the squares only cover a quarter of the japanese characters.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Japanese text is a hard nut to crack on occasion, as Japanese has several thousand characters you need 16bits normally to display them. Equally because there are so many characters a relative search for anything other than kana is not going to work and even then it can be pushing it: no game normally includes more than a small selection of Kanji.

Font order in the rom however is often what order the table ends up in so if you can find the font you can get lucky, find the text (ASM or corruption) and you can start to crack it.

When you say "main game" do you mean menus/common dialogue? if so you should consider the possibility that it is graphical: you need a tile editor.

One other thing though: more than a few games use common encodings (Advance wars and Magi nation uses ASCII for example), the most common Japanese encoding in roms is ShiftJIS: http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/k...odes.sjis.shtml

So if you are seeing a lot of 8xxx (actually it may be xx8x) or 9xxx then have a look there.

3. codman1982
    OP

Australia
    the game i'm trying to translate is initial d another stage, it plays like an RPG and i just wanna translate the in game selections......thats also the part where i saw the purple squares after playing with it

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    OK I took a look at the game: found several dual tile fonts which could mean mutliple tables.

As well as this I found much of the menu/"ingame" stuff is graphical:
    [​IMG]

5. codman1982
    OP

Australia
    I played around with the tile editor a bit, changed some of the characters, looks like kids writing, but its still english. [​IMG] Still couldn't find any of the words from in the main game, but lots of the characters are there. [​IMG]
    Dunno if these pics show up in the forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. codman1982
    OP

Australia
  7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nice going, I played the game for about half an hour after I posted and I have to admit I really did not like it at first but it is growing on me.

8. codman1982
    OP

Australia
    hehe, i was the same, i just saw the game and thought "why play a racing game u can't really drive?", but its actually addictive once u start playing..