[Translation] Fire Emblem Fates Spring and Fall Scramble

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Silent Hell, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Silent Hell
    OP

Silent Hell GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    [​IMG]
    Current Progress (Spring Scramble)

Check the github for the latest update: https://github.com/SilentHeII/Fire-Emblem-Fates-Festival-of-Bonds-Translation-Project

Hello, this page is dedicated to the translation of both of the Japanese "Festival of Bonds" DLC that never made it to the west. They will be translated as Spring Scramble and Fall Scramble in order to maintain the localization spirit. Progress will begin on the Spring Scramble as it's the one with the most dialogue. I am aware another user made a topic of the same project but I his method of recruiting for help unintuitive. It also appears that progress was a tad slow on that end. As for this project, progress will be slow. It is agonizingly boring to translate text in this game and I have other commitments. But I want to stay motivated because no one else is really taking the initiative.

Screenshots
    Useful links/stuff

I'd gladly accept any help on the project. Post what you're willing to translate before you do it so others don't waste their time. If you want to help go to the github page and download the E000.txt file for all the text currently available. Once you finish what you wanted to translate upload your text to pastebin, PM me a text file with the translated text, or just post that stuff here. I'll update the txt file whenever I can. BUT, there are some important things you need to know first.
    IF you want to help.
    Again, any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited by Silent Hell, Aug 8, 2017
  2. thane98

thane98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 23, 2016
    United States
    I can't help with this since I've got some other stuff I'm working on currently, but I'm excited to see how this turns out.

3. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    I understand. And to anyone who is interested but doesn't know how to rebuild the DLC, I'm not asking for you to test the script. I'll personally check all dialogue before I release the DLC. All I'm asking for is for people to translate the raw script.

4. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    I translated the accessory you get from the scramble and Exalt's Brand. I think that's all the text needing translation outside the E000 file. I also translated Shigure and Nina's Kimono text.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    I think from now on I'll just post a weekly update of the current progress in the project so that I don't clutter this thread with small updates. I think every Sunday should be good.

Anyway, all the kimono dialogue is done. I've also finished translating the intro. Next up I'll begin with the parent specific dialogue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KunoichiZ, thane98 and DarkSynopsis like this.
  6. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    This looks amazing! Can't wait to actually play this DLC! Can I just say that I love the color of Midori's hair in that picture.

7. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    Strangely enough I'm already technically 10% done with the Spring Scramble. It's weird to think considering there's like 550 lines of dialogue. Thankfully every line for male and female Corrin comes in triplets for the slightly varied "personalities" which translates to, I'm just gonna copy paste that because who cares.

The Fall Scramble has half as many lines of dialogue but I chose to start with the Spring Scramble because why not start with the hardest one first? It'll only make the other half less daunting.

Even so, I wouldn't get too excited over its release because that's still gonna be a while away.

Last edited by Silent Hell, Aug 3, 2017
  8. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Oh I can definitely understand getting the hardest part done first. I'm excited for it, mostly because this is a thing, and I can wait patiently for the release. I just need my endless supply of Exalt's Brands. ;---;

9. joesteve1914

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Awesome!
    Will this be compatible with the North American and European versions?

10. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    I can rebuild it with the European DLC so yeah. And all the screenshots I've taken ARE from the NA version which is the whole point of the project. I guess this is more of a port translation project.

Last edited by Silent Hell, Aug 3, 2017
    joesteve1914 likes this.
  11. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    Alright so, I've almost finished Shiro. I still need to translate his dialogue with Camilla, Elise, and Setsuna, then it's off to Kiragi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: I've since added a comma between fight and but
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: This sentence is grammatically incorrect. It should be "every one" but that won't fit so I'll change it to "all."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: This sentence is also incorrect. The proper phrase is, "The day has come when" FIXED.

Last edited by Silent Hell, Aug 6, 2017
    TomboyGamerXL and joesteve1914 like this.
  12. TsUnDeReAznGuY

TsUnDeReAznGuY Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    Cool. Are you using the already translated Child-parent dialogues or you gonna translate everything(xd). Nvm ignore this lol didn't read the OP lol. Hope this goes well. Same here tight on time with modding my own game atm. I might help after I am done with it.

Last edited by TsUnDeReAznGuY, Aug 6, 2017
  13. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    How do you mean? If you're asking if I'm translating these myself then no. Sadly I don't know Japanese. The only reason I began the project was because that tumblr page was near completion and I know how to hack.

HOWEVER!
    I'm not just copy pasting their stuff. A lot of their translations are very wordy and have needless words or are translated in a way that is hard to understand the intention behind some of the dialogue.

So using their translations as a base, I'm "localizing" the text to not only fit in with the personalities/accents of the localized characters, but have changed some of their dialogue to match what I believe was the original scripts intention.

So, think of this as a localization while preserving the intent of the original script.

EDIT: A great example would be the Shiro/Hana screenshot I posted. The tumblr translation says "Our family is competitive" But when you throw the original japanese into Google translate it spits out "Mother and son hate losing" or something along those lines. Also if you look at the context of the her whole speech it's obvious the line is REALLY trying to convey they're sore losers. So I translated it that way and it flows better.

Last edited by Silent Hell, Aug 6, 2017
  14. TsUnDeReAznGuY

TsUnDeReAznGuY Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    Alright cool. Just letting you know there's a Ending dialogue after the battle. Also here are some more resources organized just in case you can't find some. You can put these in the OP if you want.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Silent Hell likes this.
  15. Luuacks

Luuacks Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Great work dude. I look forward to the release of this, whenever that might be. Considering how tedious it seems to be slow and steady seems like a good pace to be at.

16. vinstage

vinstage ラメ?

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hey, I'm pretty sure the original is actually correct, "The day has come where..." when wouldn't make sense as it's a past tense and future.

17. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    I could have sworn that the original phrase implies the end times. Sarcastically of course. The "end times" has come "when" my son wants to discuss art with me. Of course it's not the most important thing in the world but I'll look into it.

18. vinstage

vinstage ラメ?

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Ah I see! Yeah, that makes more sense... the phrase "The day has come when my son wants to discuss art with me" just didn't make sense to me, but with the backstory you've given it makes more sense ha ha.

19. Silent Hell
    OP

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    So I decided to only post updates for every character I complete. It makes the most sense.

So with that news Shiro and Kiragi are complete.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]